Grill Envy

bsman

b00b
Hanglow's post reignited a quest I've had on and off for a couple of years. I have had a small (18") Weber kettle charcoal grill for many years (at least ten), and I keep thinking I'm missing something. Off and on, I've checked out the smokers, propane grills, Big Green Eggs, Kamados, etc. but I've never pulled the trigger.

I have a very limited amount of patio space, so I can't get too big and fancy, but I'm wondering what you all use, and what the pros and cons are. I see an awful lot of threads about smoked meats, etc. and feel bad that I have noting to offer in that regard (although I do make a mean cedar-planked salmon on the Weber.) I don't know if that will make me feel satisfied or stoke a killer case of GAS (grill acquisition syndrome...) but I'm interested in seeing.

My father-in-law has an Egg that he's dumped a fortune into, and it's amazing.

I spent $300 on a Char Griller that's half propane and half charcoal, and I love it.

I have a Ducane propane grill and a Smoke Vault propane smoker.
Both work great, though I do wish the smoker held temperature a little better--I end up fiddling with it a lot.

My father-in-law has an Egg that he's dumped a fortune into, and it's amazing.

I spent $300 on a Char Griller that's half propane and half charcoal, and I love it.
Eggs are nice,but costly, and weigh a ton.

I have a Ducane propane grill and a Smoke Vault propane smoker.
Both work great, though I do wish the smoker held temperature a little better--I end up fiddling with it a lot.
Check for spots that can leak out heat.
Stuff like unplugged holes fot a rotisserie in the hood.
Seal them up if you have them and it will help.

Hanglow's post reignited a quest I've had on and off for a couple of years. I have had a small (18") Weber kettle charcoal grill for many years (at least ten), and I keep thinking I'm missing something. Off and on, I've checked out the smokers, propane grills, Big Green Eggs, Kamados, etc. but I've never pulled the trigger.

I have a very limited amount of patio space, so I can't get too big and fancy, but I'm wondering what you all use, and what the pros and cons are. I see an awful lot of threads about smoked meats, etc. and feel bad that I have noting to offer in that regard (although I do make a mean cedar-planked salmon on the Weber.) I don't know if that will make me feel satisfied or stoke a killer case of GAS (grill acquisition syndrome...) but I'm interested in seeing.

go vegan and you won't need a grill....dude cop0

Check for spots that can leak out heat.
Stuff like unplugged holes fot a rotisserie in the hood.
Seal them up if you have them and it will help.
It has three adjustable vents, which are always at least partially open. That's not it, though. It can get plenty hot; it's maintaining a temp that's difficult.

It has three adjustable vents, which are always at least partially open. That's not it, though. It can get plenty hot; it's maintaining a temp that's difficult.
That's what I mean. Is heat leaking out from other spots other than where it's supposed to?

Unless you have a big family a big grill is pointless. I have a little Weber with no gimmicks and it’s fine.

I have had a large BGE for 6 years now, it might be the best food-related purchase I've ever made. Cons are price and limited grill space, it isn't suited for doing multiple briskets at once like a barrel smoker. The biggest pro is the amazing versatility- you can do low and slow for smoking, and still have fuel left over after 16 hours. And you can get up to 700 deg+ for searing steaks and doing pizza.

I had the 18" weber for several years and you most assuredly can smoke all sorts of food on that. Right now I have the 22" now and TBH, it's the exact same deal with the exact same challenges; you have to tend it periodically though out long cooks & it takes some experience to be able to hit & maintain temps with any kind of consistency. I've also used the BGE, WSM & Bradley. The Bradly is pretty good option if you want just a smoker, especially cold smoking, and don't need any grill/sear capabilities.

Have a Green Mountain pellet grill/smoker on the way.

Everything comes down to a question of what you want from ease, capacity & capability.

/thread
maxresdefault.jpg

My vote goes for a WSM. I have the 18 incher, and it's plenty big enough for a family. I've pimped out my cooker with a couple big handles on the side, and a clay saucer in the water pan inside to even out the heat and hold temp. The saucer is one out of the garden supply section of the store. I typically foil it before I put it into the water pan. The big advantage to the WSM is that it's mostly built tough. The bullet part of the smoker is made from heavy steel, and then porcelain coated. Parts that suck are the thin doorway 0n the side, and the thin air inlets. They are not exactly cheap. HD has them for around 300 bones last time I was there.
ENHIMG_1176_zpsldlhwlgj.jpg
ENHIMG_1174_zpsafpffscy.jpg

Back