WTF: Gibson files first infringement lawsuit

I would 100% agree with them shutting down manufacturers putting Gibson or Gubson or Gibsin on their headstock and copying the shapes and trying to make it look like you are buying a Gibson. 100%. But that's not what they came out and did. They went after everyone and did it in a way that was/is seen as bullying and just lame.
It also speaks to what they think of their customers. When I shop I can tell if it's a Gibson or not by looking at the logo. If I like the body shape and it plays well and costs half of what a Gibson does then I'm buying that brand. Fuck Gibson.
Exactly, I've never bought a Dean and thought I was buying a Gibson. In fact the only way I'd by a Dean is if Gibson was my only other choice.
 
Sent this to LCoffey,

I read your recent release regarding Gibson's lawsuit against Dean. The current management has been in place since November and I think the company took the coward's way out by trying to blame it all on Henry J. You've had months to call the lawyers and say stop, but instead you go ahead with the lawsuit and instead of saying we're sorry we screwed up when the hatred comes you go "wasn't our fault." Yes it was. I have a Gibson (Lucille) and 5 Epiphones including a made in USA Lennon Casino. I have never, I repeat NEVER gone into a guitar store and looked at a Dean and said,"Look at that Gibson." A blind person wouldn't mistake a Dean for a Gibson. Sales are down because Henry wanted to make a life style item rather than a tool for musicians. You will save to company by building a guitar at a decent price point, not by extorting other builders. You say you want creative collaboration agreement, read, "you give us money and we won't sue you. Extortion. While I respect your right to protect yourselves from what has become known as the "Chibson", going after every company that makes something that sort of looks like something we made 60 years ago is repulsive. There are 23 guitars in my house and as long as Gibson's business plan is to make money off of other companies not one more Gibson will come into this house.

Everybody was willing to give Gibson a chance after Henry left but SOMEHOW you totally managed to turn everyone against the company again. Good work. Maybe the next owner will get it right.
 

I was a little confused at the lawsuits to begin with. Gibson sent Doug K and C & D then let Doug revise the Banshee design until it was different enough. Not sure why they didn’t go that route first. Or maybe they did and Dean said pound sand, we’ve been building these for 40 years. I’m sure Dean has deeper pockets than Doug so they can stand up a little longer.
 
I was a little confused at the lawsuits to begin with. Gibson sent Doug K and C & D then let Doug revise the Banshee design until it was different enough. Not sure why they didn’t go that route first. Or maybe they did and Dean said pound sand, we’ve been building these for 40 years. I’m sure Dean has deeper pockets than Doug so they can stand up a little longer.
In the end only the lawyers win.
 
Fool me once...

I'm just not buying into Gibson's sudden backpedaling and damage control. Agnesi had ONE JOB, and he fucked it up so hard that there's no amount of apologies going to undo the mess. If they REALLY give a shit, he should be pounding the pavement with a pink slip in hand while they distance themselves as far from him as possible. When your "Brand Ambassador" causes more negative attention in one day than Henry J did in his entire career... hasta la vista baby. They have a tremendous uphill battle ahead. So far there's no proof or evidence that they are actually going to right the ship and get back to making quality instruments. #suckitgibson

Sent from a van down by the river.
 
*sobbing* I think the only way we'll get closure on this going forward is if Weinworld kickstarts me a crowdfunded Chibson and subscribes to my Patreon about the trauma this has caused me
 
Back
Top