WTF: Gibson files first infringement lawsuit

https://guitar.com/news/gibson-loses-flying-v-trademark-case-in-eu-court/

The judgement goes on to confirm that Gibson waited too long by not filing the trademark until 2010, and that in that time it became “One possible variant of the many existing shapes, so that when the application for registration of the challenged mark was filed, the V-shape did not depart significantly from the norms and customs of the sector.”

BOOM.
 
https://guitar.com/news/gibson-loses-flying-v-trademark-case-in-eu-court/

The judgement goes on to confirm that Gibson waited too long by not filing the trademark until 2010, and that in that time it became “One possible variant of the many existing shapes, so that when the application for registration of the challenged mark was filed, the V-shape did not depart significantly from the norms and customs of the sector.”

BOOM.
This does nothing to help us over here.
 
Thanks to this thread I've learned a lot. Today I learned that not only is Mark a complete shitbag, but he's a shitty player too. How in the actual fuck did he get this far?

Sent from a van down by the river.
 
Thanks to this thread I've learned a lot. Today I learned that not only is Mark a complete shitbag, but he's a shitty player too. How in the actual fuck did he get this far?

Sent from a van down by the river.

Outrage on youtube brings the $$$, bro.

I'd try it myself but videos of pissed-off cats are more amusing than profitable.

 
Hey Gibson! Somebody snuck into your product development strategy meetings. You might wanna get your lawyers on it ASAP.
D49076A0-2091-4004-8C66-3CEACD841C36.jpeg
 
Thanks to this thread I've learned a lot. Today I learned that not only is Mark a complete shitbag, but he's a shitty player too. How in the actual fuck did he get this far?

Sent from a van down by the river.
This!
Not that I'm in a place to look down on too many people's playing level - but this guy works with guitars and probably can afford many takes.
 
  • Like
Reactions: OGG
This!
Not that I'm in a place to look down on too many people's playing level - but this guy works with guitars and probably can afford many takes.
Yup. It takes a lot for me to call someone a shitty player. I'm not exactly Segovia myself, but geez Louise! That guy sucks.

Sent from a van down by the river.
 
It's actually annoying.
I refuse to believe he sucks so hard, it feels like he's "if you think I'll make any effort for this video...".
 
  • Like
Reactions: OGG
wtf is "industry collaboration" ?? (not directed at you Rev.)

does that mean that a guitar company submits a design to gibson for approval?
or does it mean that gibson may license one of their "shapes" to another company for a fee?
(again, what do they mean)
I'm sure a licensing fee will be involved. They may be looking to settle some of these suits before they go to court in light of the ruling in Europe.
 
wtf is "industry collaboration" ?? (not directed at you Rev.)

does that mean that a guitar company submits a design to gibson for approval?
or does it mean that gibson may license one of their "shapes" to another company for a fee?
(again, what do they mean)
Also, the guitar industry is weird, at least where smaller builders are concerned. They really do work together and get along very well. Especially the small pedal builders, they help each other out all of the time. It's really very different from what I'm used to.
 
I would 100% agree with them shutting down manufacturers putting Gibson or Gubson or Gibsin on their headstock and copying the shapes and trying to make it look like you are buying a Gibson. 100%. But that's not what they came out and did. They went after everyone and did it in a way that was/is seen as bullying and just lame.
It also speaks to what they think of their customers. When I shop I can tell if it's a Gibson or not by looking at the logo. If I like the body shape and it plays well and costs half of what a Gibson does then I'm buying that brand. Fuck Gibson.
 
Back
Top