College football jam.....

You think so? Even if ND, K state and Oregon win out? That would be tough to justify.

An SEC team should play in the national championship game every year until someone other than an SEC team beats an SEC team in the national championship game. Alternatively, let's have a playoff.
 
An SEC team should play in the national championship game every year until someone other than an SEC team beats an SEC team in the national championship game. Alternatively, let's have a playoff.

A playoff would ruin college football, and make it just like college basketball.
 
A playoff would ruin college football, and make it just like college basketball.

I disagree. I'm looking forward to the 4 team playoff system. It wouldn't have the "cinderella team knocks off #2 in an early round" of basketball.... but when you have 3 or 4 legitimate condenders up at the top, the winner will be decided on the field... not by a biased group of coaches and writers.
 
I disagree. I'm looking forward to the 4 team playoff system. It wouldn't have the "cinderella team knocks off #2 in an early round" of basketball.... but when you have 3 or 4 legitimate condenders up at the top, the winner will be decided on the field... not by a biased group of coaches and writers.

It starts with 4 then 8 how about 16, and pretty soon anyone that had a .500 season will be in. The regular season will be irrelevant just like in basketball. There already is a playoff, it's the regular season.
 
It starts with 4 then 8 how about 16, and pretty soon anyone that had a .500 season will be in. The regular season will be irrelevant just like in basketball. There already is a playoff, it's the regular season.

scarecrow.jpg
 
It starts with 4 then 8 how about 16, and pretty soon anyone that had a .500 season will be in. The regular season will be irrelevant just like in basketball. There already is a playoff, it's the regular season.


There's no way, with the emphasis on player safety, that they would allow the additional games.
 
I disagree. I'm looking forward to the 4 team playoff system. It wouldn't have the "cinderella team knocks off #2 in an early round" of basketball.... but when you have 3 or 4 legitimate condenders up at the top, the winner will be decided on the field... not by a biased group of coaches and writers.

This.
 
There's no way, with the emphasis on player safety, that they would allow 12 additional games for a team. Fuck, the team that made it through that would be lucky to have half their roster by the time the NC was played.

Normally I would agree, but how long until the lesser bowls complain about revenue and attendance and want to be included in the big dance? Shit i think there's something like 80 teams in the basketball bracket.
 
The regular season will be irrelevant just like in basketball.

I still say last year proves how irrelevant the regular season is in college football. Bama didn't make it to their conference championship and won the national title.
 
FWIW, I think that's a slippery slope argument, and not a straw man argument. Slippery slope can also be a logical fallacy, but it is different.

The problem is we are forgetting the most important thing in college football. Money. How long before we have play in games and all the other crap these guys can come up with.
 
Alabama was the best team last year.

But this is what I don't get. Based on what? They lost a game, and weren't in their own conference championship. So I just don't get how they get "annointed" as the best. I don't care what you say about a true playoff system making things worse. I like March madness. At least things are determined on the field of play. Better than being determined by a bunch of cigar smoking buttheads in some room somewhere.

I just took a look at the BCS workings. What a bunch of hocus pocus. http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/bcs_explained.html Cigar smoking pollsters. Oh, and ND gets a berth no matter what if they are in the top 8. (See paragraph 4, Automatic qualification section. I guess that is because they are perpetually among the best no matter what the reality is).
 
But this is what I don't get. Based on what? They lost a game, and weren't in their own conference championship. So I just don't get how they get "annointed" as the best. I don't care what you say about a true playoff system making things worse. I like March madness. At least things are determined on the field of play. Better than being determined by a bunch of cigar smoking buttheads in some room somewhere.



This is and always has been the hocus pocus of college football national championships. Who is the better team, the one that played the toughest schedule but had a bad day in the big game or the team that cruised through an easy schedule and had a great day in the big game?

In a tight conference, or division within a conference, it is entirely possible for the better team to lose a game to the next best team. But it is also entirely possible that if they played each other 10 times, that would be the only one they lost. If the goal is to have the best two teams in the national championship the Alabama - LSU scenario was warranted.

I'm not as hard lined as Reverend but it is difficult for me to buy into teams like Oregon and Kansas State. They are certainly good and have improved their program but it is far more difficult to come out of a very difficult conference without a loss, or even one. Warranted or not, there are 5 SEC teams in the top 10 right now. Where would Oregon be if that is the competition they played week after week? Maybe they would get trounced or maybe they would be in the pack but I'm not convinced they would be sitting as high in the rankings.

Just my ramblings.
 
The problem is we are forgetting the most important thing in college football. Money. How long before we have play in games and all the other crap these guys can come up with.

In truth, I'm having a hard time worrying about the national picture. Tennessee can't even win an SEC game this season, and I'm a bit worried that we won't even sniff Atlanta for half a decade. I can't get worked up about bowl games one way or another.

Regardless, there is already something called the Papa John's Bowl and the Taxslayer.com bowl. If you're worried about money ruining the college football postseason, that ship sailed a long time ago.
 
In truth, I'm having a hard time worrying about the national picture. Tennessee can't even win an SEC game this season, and I'm a bit worried that we won't even sniff Atlanta for half a decade. I can't get worked up about bowl games one way or another.

Regardless, there is already something called the Papa John's Bowl and the Taxslayer.com bowl. If you're worried about money ruining the college football postseason, that ship sailed a long time ago.

It's crazy how they fell off the face of the earth when Fulmer left. That sick bag Kiffen fucked them over and I don't have much hope for orange pants Dooley.
 
Regardless, there is already something called the Papa John's Bowl and the Taxslayer.com bowl. If you're worried about money ruining the college football postseason, that ship sailed a long time ago.

Don't forget the Poulan Weedeater Bowl.......:facepalm:
 
Sad statistic #4769 for Colorado Football this season. The score totals from the past 5 games - 261 - 51. And the only reason that CU scored 14 against Oregon was that they (Oregon) played the entire second half with their 2nd and 3rd team players.

It is sad, but not only is this the worst team in CU history, they might just be the worst Division I team in the nation right now. While I think the head coach is moving the right direction and needs two to three more years, they need to can their offensive coordinator. He is clueless.
 
This is and always has been the hocus pocus of college football national championships. Who is the better team, the one that played the toughest schedule but had a bad day in the big game or the team that cruised through an easy schedule and had a great day in the big game?

I'm not as hard lined as Reverend but it is difficult for me to buy into teams like Oregon and Kansas State. They are certainly good and have improved their program but it is far more difficult to come out of a very difficult conference without a loss, or even one. Warranted or not, there are 5 SEC teams in the top 10 right now. Where would Oregon be if that is the competition they played week after week? Maybe they would get trounced or maybe they would be in the pack but I'm not convinced they would be sitting as high in the rankings.

Just my ramblings.

well, it doesn't look to get any better. I still would prefer things decided on a field of play. I do get that that makes things "tougher" on a team in a conf. like the SEC because overall there are allegedly more tough teams within the conference. But given that according to Rev and others here, the SEC is so much stronger, etc. (and granted, they are very strong), maybe there should just be a playoff, or conference game for the SEC, and then something else for the rest of the country.

The reality is that the way things are, regardless of whether OR (again, I am NOT an OR fan) deserves to play against Alabama or whomever more regularly, they won't get a chance to, other than in some bowl game maybe. So if the SEC is all that hot, maybe they should play with themselves and annoint themselves king of the hill in their own sandbox through their own process, and let the other teams compete for something else. Just because some dudes in a room say teams are the best based on their hocus pocus, doesn't make it so. The truth lies on the field of play. If we can't get a true playoff system done, then I say separate the systems. to me BCS = BS.

just my ramblings back at you. :)
 
Last edited:
Back
Top