Book jam - what you all reading?

Cibola_Burn.jpg
 
I just finished re-reading Dangerously Funny by David Bianculli; it tells the story of the Smothers Brothers TV show with a lot of inside information from the brothers, TV execs, and the writers for the show who included Mason Williams, Rob Reiner, Steve Martin, and John Hartford. I am now re-reading The Holy or the Broken, a sort-of biography of the Leonard Cohen song, Hallelujah, written by Alan Light. It really is a great book that also gives information on Leonard Cohen, Jeff Buckley, and Rufus Wainright while charting the course of the song.
 
Don't give up on it. I'm past halfway in it and the story really ramps up. You will really like the main character as the story develops.
I finished it about a week ago. I really loved the book (despite the obvious flaw that a 175 kph windstorm in a near vacuum would produce very little force).

I REALLY hope someone in Hollywood picks up this novel and turns it into a movie. Could be a science fiction masterpiece if done even halfway right.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Tig
I finished The Corrections. The ending was awkward, but I enjoyed the book, overall. Now I'm back to trying to finish A Peace to End All Peace, which is about WWI, the end of the Ottoman Empire, and the partitioning of the Middle East as a result. There was also an update deal on Ableton Live 9, so I've stopped reading the Live 8 manual. ;-)
 
Still on this:

51hMn9aA%2BzL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX278_SY278_PIkin4,BottomRight,1,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg


Two weeks I've been at it and they still haven't gone to war yet!!!!

It's actually pretty interesting (for a history geek, ymmv) I'm used to teaching WW1 in the sense of: pre war tensions + causes of war > assissination of Ferdinand > quick slide into war.

This is quite good detailing the vast amount of slow burning stuff that happened behind the scene between the assissination and the outbreak of the war. I find it fascinating, as I said, ymmv.
 
book_cover_hires_-page-001-1.jpg

he is pretty funny and a good storyteller. I finished half the book in one sitting and I don't consider myself much of a reader.
 
I just finished reading The Wheel Of Time series....24 years after I started it :(
 
Having just seen the Ender's Game movie, I'm looking to read the novel and the sequels. Looking at the reviews on Amazon, it appears that not all of the "sequels" are actually part of the story line. Any suggestions on which to skip (if any) and what order to read them?
 
Having just seen the Ender's Game movie, I'm looking to read the novel and the sequels. Looking at the reviews on Amazon, it appears that not all of the "sequels" are actually part of the story line. Any suggestions on which to skip (if any) and what order to read them?

i'm curious - you saw the film without having read the book. what was your impression of the film? could you follow the story?

obviously Ender's Game first. forget everything from the movie and read the book with new eyes. it fills in the story by about 1000%

I read the second book, Speaker For The Dead and really enjoyed it, but that was as far as I got with the direct sequels. I read one of the tangent books and it was OK. a pleasant enough diversion.

get the books from your local library or buy used. that way the scumbag O.S. Card doesn't get any $$.
 
hey flamencology! I recently finished the second Kvothe book. I'm not sure about a book that takes close to 600 pages before it really gets going. I stopped and started the book about 5 times before plowing through to the end.

there were a few pure plot contrivances in there that had me rolling my eyes. but it had an interesting angle to go out on.

i'll read the third one if it ever comes out.
 
Re-read Slaughterhouse Five the other day, because the first time I read it was during a Vonnegut binge when I was 14. I got a lot more out of it this time. But dang, that was a quick read.

And I still haven't read The Wise Man's Fears. I enjoyed the first book, but I'm willing to wait for Rothfuss to write a bit more before I dive back in. I don't want to get caught in another George R.R. Martin situation of waiting years between books and forgetting the storyline in the meantime.
 
Back
Top