Book jam - what you all reading?

Having just seen the Ender's Game movie, I'm looking to read the novel and the sequels. Looking at the reviews on Amazon, it appears that not all of the "sequels" are actually part of the story line. Any suggestions on which to skip (if any) and what order to read them?
I read EG and am halfway through Speaker. He mentions in the intro that he wrote Speaker so that it could stand alone. I'm not convinced he succeeded in that. I mean, you COULD, but I wouldn't recommend it.

I'd start with ender and move on to Speaker. After that, your guess is as good as mine.

I'm likely moving away from card after this, might return in time, but won't be continuing with the series at the moment. No reason other than other stuff I wanna read.

Sent from my EloydrummerPhone
 
Selling 101

Selling-101-by-Zig-Ziglar-215x300.jpg
 
I'm finally getting around to reading Harry Potter. Almost finished with Prisoner of Azkhaban. Probably will finish it tonite after rehearsal.
 
I just started reading this:
515iFmp5-oL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX278_SY278_PIkin4,BottomRight,1,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg


It is a blending of two books the author wrote on the subject, combined and updated for the EBook. I have found it informative and entertaining. Especially the purist vs. the folk rocker stuff. Having lived through this, it is funny how hard chronology is; this allows me to see a timeline as it was, rather than how I remember it. :hippie:
 
I just started reading this:
515iFmp5-oL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX278_SY278_PIkin4,BottomRight,1,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg


It is a blending of two books the author wrote on the subject, combined and updated for the EBook. I have found it informative and entertaining. Especially the purist vs. the folk rocker stuff. Having lived through this, it is funny how hard chronology is; this allows me to see a timeline as it was, rather than how I remember it. :hippie:

Gary, have you read this -

tumblr_m3ci5n4FLR1r7w4dc.jpg


I found it very entertaining and informative.

I also read the Garcia bio, but found it incredibly relentless and depressing. You're on a train that you know is going to crash and you can't get off.
 
Gary, have you read this -

tumblr_m3ci5n4FLR1r7w4dc.jpg


I found it very entertaining and informative.

I also read the Garcia bio, but found it incredibly relentless and depressing. You're on a train that you know is going to crash and you can't get off.
I have read that, several other books about the Dead, and several Garcia bios. :thu:
 
Gary, have you read this -

tumblr_m3ci5n4FLR1r7w4dc.jpg


I found it very entertaining and informative.

I also read the Garcia bio, but found it incredibly relentless and depressing. You're on a train that you know is going to crash and you can't get off.

I just about wore that book out. :thu:
 

When I was a kid, I loved pro wrestling. When I was in high school, I met Big John Studd. He was enormous, his two fingers were bigger than my entire hand. I remember looking how small he looked when he was staring down Andre. I may have to pick this up.
 
When I was a kid, I loved pro wrestling. When I was in high school, I met Big John Studd. He was enormous, his two fingers were bigger than my entire hand. I remember looking how small he looked when he was staring down Andre. I may have to pick this up.

I'm not a pro-wrestling fan, but it's lovely comic; very well-done and kinda moving.
 
I started "The Swerve: How the World Became Modern," by Stephan Greenblatt. I'm only a few chapters in but liking it so far.
 
That book has really divided Early Modern scholars -- those who don't like it essentially think Greenblatt takes a few liberties with history.

http://www.inthemedievalmiddle.com/2012/12/stephen-greenblatts-swerve-and-mlas.html

Still, Greenblatt is a good writer.

Thanks! I'll read that later.
It's an almost comically reductionist premise, but still an entertaining idea and he does write well. Last week I read a scathing take down of A Distant Mirror, which I loved. These kinds of histories are about all I can game up for anymore, but I'd never take them as hard fact or gospel truth. Heck, I don't even take the gospel as the gospel truth. ;-)
 
Any good? I've been wanting to read some more history books
Just started but it's incorporates reports generated for the Finnish government and how much actual involvement they had with the Nazi's. Finland was hit with war reparations but minimal since they only sided with Germany to keep Russia from taking even more land. So far it's interesting. I love WW2 history but there's only so much you can read about Pearl Harbor and D-Day. It the fringe stuff like this that I mostly read now. What was going on in other countries during the war.
 
Back
Top