Backing Track Jam!

thredlok said:
Wow, that was different! You were wearing a turban and playing that weren't you? Maybe the shoes with the curly toes? biggrin

You know it's funny, I was watching the dorian mode, and minor pentatonic lessons, thinking if these are all the same notes that are in a major scale what the hell is the big deal with modes? Why do I need them? This clip gave me the answer to that question, thank you...kinda, I think. I'm still a little confused. tongue0

biggrin

Its all in getting the "flavor" of each mode out of those collections of notes. F# Phrygian Dominant is just the 5th mode of B Harmonic Minor. If I just played it as B Harmonic Minor and played my Yngwie licks that all resolve to notes in B nothing would have made much sense... smi

I've known the scale was there but I've never really bothered to use it...I might actually start using it more often now that I've given it a spin...

thredlok said:
telecaster911 said:
We need more participants :mad: biggrin

Where's that prages guy! idn_smilie

He's always good for an ego shattering clip biggrin

:embarrassed:

Sorry. I often skim over the backing tracks because I find it pretty difficult to come up with interesting lead guitar lines that last 4 minutes. :embarrassed:

Plus, I've been pulling my hair out trying to get my new laptop setup for recording.

I think I got it figured out this morning, so I may give this a go this evening, provided I don't have a catastrophic setback in the world of peripheral conflicts with Windows Vista when I get home.

Good luck with that, vista hates me and my peripherals :mad: That used mac place Warren posted is looking pretty good to me right now.

I cut the clip I did way short, hell I lost interest after a few minutes biggrin

thredlok said:
Good luck with that, vista hates me and my peripherals :mad: That used mac place Warren posted is looking pretty good to me right now.

I cut the clip I did way short, hell I lost interest after a few minutes biggrin

Here's what I was running into.

Laptop has Vista Home Premium 64. Also has a card reader, 4 USB 2.0 ports, a Firewire port and an expansion slot.

I installed an ESATA expansion card for my external harddrive. I had to get the external hard drive because the computer's internal one is 5400 RPM and was too slow to record 10+ tracks of audio for an hour +. So, I got a 7200 RPM 1.5 TB drive and hooked it up via ESATA. I've got two Firepods run in series into the Firewire port. I also had my wireless internet card (USB) plugged in and had a USB flash drive plugged in.

With everything plugged in, the computer wouldn't recognize the Firepods. Once I unplugged everything except the Firepods and the ESATA card, it works fine. idn_smilie

See if the firepod site has drivers for 64 bit windows. My stuff runs fine with absolutely no problems on 32 bit Vista. I have 64 bit XP at work and most of the old stuff that I have doesn't work. :mad:

telecaster911 said:
See if the firepod site has drivers for 64 bit windows. My stuff runs fine with absolutely no problems on 32 bit Vista. I have 64 bit XP at work and most of the old stuff that I have doesn't work. :mad:

I've got the latest Firepod driver installed, and it's working fine, so long as I don't have more than 2 peripherals plugged in at once. idn_smilie

Okay, got the backing track downloaded and will give this a take in the morning (Mrs. P has to be AT WORK at 6 am, so I have plenty of time in the morning after she leaves).

I can definitely lay down some pentatonic funk wanking on this. cop0

Prages said:
Okay, got the backing track downloaded and will give this a take in the morning (Mrs. P has to be AT WORK at 6 am, so I have plenty of time in the morning after she leaves).

Cool!

Prages said:

AOK

now we gotta get Roger to come and play wave0

Phil051300 said:
markwein said:
Here is something a little different...someone asked me about playing F# Phrygian Dominant (or B Harmonic Minor) over this.

Its not something I do very often but I thought I would do a short sample of the sound...i kind of like it  smi

http://www.markweinguitarlessons.com/soundfiles/phrygiandom.mp3

I dug that quite a bit.  AOK

Thanks!

I'm going to work on the sound a little bit. I've never really used the scale and it was pretty fun to play....

And where the hell is that mcwalt guy :mad:

someone make him post a clip... I like good guitar clips biggrin

Oh i dont know for sure, i'd have to listen again. I had no song in particular in mind, it just sounds like a scale he would use.

I've got my take uploading now. Should be ready to post in just a few minutes.

In the meantime, I'll start downloading some of the other takes posted so far.

Back