Why don't YOU like Strats?

I'd sell my Ibby right now for a similar Warlock.

hell, I'd sell my Ibby right now for a 24 of beer...

Ok, I've stayed out fo the discussion, because with a username like Stratguy, it just didn't seem like I should be weighing in on a "Why don't YOU like Strats" thread. I see that the thread is going pro/con, so it seems like my thoughts wouldn't necessarily be rejected here, or hijack the thread. My first reaction to Strat, when I was starting to play, was that I didn't like the feel of the necks, and I though the sound was thin. I preferred humbuckers - Schecter C-1 Elite, and Epiphone LP (which has since been upgraded with Gibson Classic 57 pups). Back then, I was playing through solid state amps exclusively (a Behringer V-Ampire LX half stack, and a Crate G600 half stack). I admit that I did buy a used Strat with a rosewood fretboard in Midnight Blue, form a guy at the music store, but I traded it in on the Epi LP. I liked the idea (yeah, I'm a Clapton fan), but I just didn't bond with it. I believe that playing the Strat through the solid state amps that I had had something to do with my feelings toward the Strat.

Here's my original Strat, and yeah, it came to me with that pearl pickguard. As you will see, it eventually caught on with me.
100_1623.jpg

My first exposure to a tube amp was a Crate V18 class A amp, and I really liked the tube sound. Shortly thereafter, I took a second look at the Strat, and decided that I wanted a maple neck (again, it probably had something to do with Eric Clapton). I found the right deal on a used MIM one, and the minute I paired it to the tube amp, I knew that I was on the right track. For the record, my first Strat was gifted to my son-in-law as a birthday present when he was in the Marine Corp.

Here's the pairing that started my Strat love:
100_1887.jpg

Cuurently, I have a MIM Strat that that I modded with 3 Lace Sensor Gold single coils:

Before mod
100_2230.jpg

After PUP and pickguard mods
IMGP9244_zps56c7eb0e.jpg

Oh, and here's my HSS Strat that some will appreciate, and yes, it got a white pearl pickguard, too. You can see that on the other Strat pic thread.
100_1946.jpg

Do I appreciate other guitars, too? Sure. But my Strats sound especially good through my tube amps (Peavey Classic 50, Crate V18, my Fender Frontman 212R, and my Fender Ramparte). I was actually shocked at how great the Strats sound through the Frontman, because it's a solid state amp, be I guess it's the classic Fender clean tone that they love. The Ramparte is a special case, because the Strat SSS with the Lace Sensor Gold pups loves that amp, the HSS Strat doesn't like it as much.

Oh, and @Psychotronic, I tend to like the middle pup the most, too. I'll play to the tone of anything that I'm covering, but when it's just me doing me, I prefer the middle pup.

@mongooz - you like? it's from 1964. i consider myself really fortunate to have it. it plays and sounds amazing. it's also one of those strats where they shot the custom color (in this case, fiesta red) over a sunburst "reject" body. i think that is just the coolest little historical quirk. from "vintage guitars info":

Fender also used Sunburst (or other colors) as an undercoat to custom colors. Fender probably had an ample supply of reject Sunburst (and custom color) finished bodies that had some flaw (remember, all these guitars were painted by humans, not machines). It can be assumed that the majority of custom color finishes over other finishes are probably rejected bodies. Stripping an existing bad finish to apply another is just too much work. So shooting a new custom color over a bad finish would be killing two birds with one stone. You use up those bad Sunburst bodies without stripping, and charge 5% more for the new custom color to cover the cost of painting the same body twice (or more).

I love a guitar with a back-story.

No need for a trem.I don't like them.Any style

Don't mind them. This is what Strat people do. They find it incredulous that someone could even consider choosing something else. "Well, you can get over that problem. It's your problem, not the guitar's. The guitar is perfect. You aren't." That's what they're saying to you. Do your thing. Because it's your thing. :)

I love a guitar with a back-story.
Beyond the factory over-finish, it does have a bit of a back story.

This particular guitar made it all the way to Australia and was purchased by an American musician (who shall remain nameless) in the late 80s. He brought it back to states and toured/recorded heavily with it up until a few years ago when it found its way into my stewardship. When I opened the case accessory pocket, I was surprised to find the original catalogue (more like a typed inventory list) from the Australian shop where this strat was sold, and the guitar is listed! How cool is that? The prior owner kept it all those years and included it with the sale. So neat.

All told, this guitar has allegedly been owned by four people since it was first sold 50 years ago, and I am the fourth.

I like this guitar because it plays and sounds like the best strat I've ever experienced (that's why I bought it), and also because I dig the provenance that comes along with it. I understand its just an old guitar, but I'm kind of a nut for that musical history stuff, I guess. Gives me goosebumps :)

I don't like 3 things about strats:

1. the 4 bolt neck
2. the bridge pickup
3. how difficult it is to set the trem to come back in tune

Solution:

600533_10201399391692033_334495094_n_zpsc3afc300.jpg

Also:

1075805_10201421471244008_1346137770_n_zpsf661f77f.jpg

Perfect "strat" with beef when I need it, smooth trem and a solid, resonant neck joint. Not pictured: graphtech string saver saddles (black teflon).

Now if it were only lighter...

My strat is my "go to gig" geetar when I am jammin with new people. I love my G&L and Blue Frog teles but they can be a bit out there unless I need to fill with horns etc... I have a seymour duncan performer mid , stock fender neck and a carvin x-11 bridge setup in the strat..

Back