Why don't YOU like Strats?

I don't like the control layout,the cheap light weight feel,mid pup,2-4 position sound.
The trem blows,make a fucking hardtail FFS!
OH, and it's not a Tele.

When I started playing, Strats were all I wanted. I haven't owned one for a while though. I want one with a fat neck and a rosewood board without paying a fortune. If I can find that I'll buy it.

When I started playing, Strats were all I wanted. I haven't owned one for a while though. I want one with a fat neck and a rosewood board without paying a fortune. If I can find that I'll buy it.

look for a used Jeff Beck sig model from the early 90's.....big ass neck w/rosewood board.

for the first 20 years of my playing life I was a Gibson SNOB.....especially LP's and ES's. even tho Clapton was my original guitar hero, and then Hendrix.....I never liked strats. then Stevie happened......been on the strats pretty consistently ever since. love their sound more every day, but then I've always been into the bluesy side of things and i'm nearly obsessed with the texas blues style/sound.

I love most strat necks and the body shape is very comfy.
I love the front pickup and front middle pickup sound.
I dont care for the blade switch position but I can get used to it after a bit.
I hate the standard no tone control single coil in the bridge.
I really dont care for trems.

I love strats, but I do prefer a humbucker in the bridge.

DFB, Fender does make a hard tail from time to time. The Billy Corgan strat that I owned was a hard tail.

I didn't like Strats for over 10 years. Mostly because everybody and their mother had one and they just looked meh to me. The volume knob placement was also a big turn off. I acquired my first Strat a few years ago and I can't put it down. Somewhere along the line my playing style changed and now the volume knob doesn't bother me. I am in agreement with what others have said about the bridge pup, it needs to be a humbucker.

ne5u2u7u.jpg

This neck is super chunky, you'd dig it.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

As an acoustic guitarist who only occasionally plays electric, I couldn't tell you a thing about pickups, switch positions, or anything else along that line; my electric guitar choices are simply aesthetic. For the longest time I felt Strats were too pointy (imagine that, Peeker) and wouldn't own one. That shanged when I saw the ESP relic's start copy I once owned. I am still partial to the Tele style body, but am not as anti-Strat as I once was.
:eek:

I would pay cash money to see you use my Rich SoB for a gig :lol:

My first guitar was a cheap and horrible 21 fret Strat clone. After that every electric had to have a humbucker at the bridge and at least 22 frets.

Took 20 years before I could tolerate a single coil in the bridge position again. Still need 22 frets though.

strats are ok. i used to play them all the time and nothing else. one fateful night changed that forever, but you've all heard that story so no need to repeat it. i'm mostly a singlecut/humbuckers kind of guy. if i need single coils in my sound these days, then i generally reach for something with P90s or DeArmonds.

that said, i have a great old stratocaster that i quite enjoy. it's got the 3-way blade switch so there's no 2- or 4-position option (although you can "fake" it somewhat by floating the selector in between positions). i love the neck on this one - big and chunky and not like the contemporary ones at all. here's a pic if you're interested:
w64FenderStrat_Fiesta-001.jpg

That is beautiful!

So I've been thinking about this for a while... Strats used to be my goto guitars. I played them for years in different bands, but I always ended up selling them...

I know you take a lot of ribbing, and I don't want to give you a hard time, but to be fair that kind of happens with a lot of your guitars.

Reactions: wok
that said, i have a great old stratocaster that i quite enjoy. it's got the 3-way blade switch so there's no 2- or 4-position option (although you can "fake" it somewhat by floating the selector in between positions). i love the neck on this one - big and chunky and not like the contemporary ones at all. here's a pic if you're interested:
w64FenderStrat_Fiesta-001.jpg

[\quote]

ummm......wanna tell us what year that is??:eek:

@mongooz - you like? it's from 1964. i consider myself really fortunate to have it. it plays and sounds amazing. it's also one of those strats where they shot the custom color (in this case, fiesta red) over a sunburst "reject" body. i think that is just the coolest little historical quirk. from "vintage guitars info":

Fender also used Sunburst (or other colors) as an undercoat to custom colors. Fender probably had an ample supply of reject Sunburst (and custom color) finished bodies that had some flaw (remember, all these guitars were painted by humans, not machines). It can be assumed that the majority of custom color finishes over other finishes are probably rejected bodies. Stripping an existing bad finish to apply another is just too much work. So shooting a new custom color over a bad finish would be killing two birds with one stone. You use up those bad Sunburst bodies without stripping, and charge 5% more for the new custom color to cover the cost of painting the same body twice (or more).

@mongooz - you like? it's from 1964. i consider myself really fortunate to have it. it plays and sounds amazing. it's also one of those strats where they shot the custom color (in this case, fiesta red) over a sunburst "reject" body. i think that is just the coolest little historical quirk. from "vintage guitars info":

Fender also used Sunburst (or other colors) as an undercoat to custom colors. Fender probably had an ample supply of reject Sunburst (and custom color) finished bodies that had some flaw (remember, all these guitars were painted by humans, not machines). It can be assumed that the majority of custom color finishes over other finishes are probably rejected bodies. Stripping an existing bad finish to apply another is just too much work. So shooting a new custom color over a bad finish would be killing two birds with one stone. You use up those bad Sunburst bodies without stripping, and charge 5% more for the new custom color to cover the cost of painting the same body twice (or more).

yea.....I like.....even tho fiesta red is my most hated color on a strat......to have a real '64.....I could get over it.:grin:

yea.....I like.....even tho fiesta red is my most hated color on a strat......to have a real '64.....I could get over it.:grin:

Haha - and fiesta red is one of my favorite finishes that Fender offers. It looks particularly good with that sunburst peeking through :).

Back