Why don't YOU like Strats?

I don't hate em. They're just not my first choice. I prefer two pickups to three, and the volume knob really is too damn close to the strings. I never bonded with my Am St Strat, so I traded it for a Charvel. Much better. I do love my Blacktop Strat, though. Two buckers, five springs behind the bridge, locking tuners, and Tele style knobs.

Just another tool to make music with. I prefer them with a humbucker in the bridge but stock is a sound too. That said, I'm taking my Les Paul to the jam today :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I guess it's the floating Trem thing that puts me off. I have two strat copies, but I doubt that I would ever invest in Fender. I love the sound. Dont care much for the feel. Telecasters and I get along fine, but I'm really a Les Paul guy at heart

and really, if I'm gonna have a whammy on a guitar, it's gotta be able to take a LOT of abuse and still stay in tune.
I hear tell it can be done with a Strat, but I've never made it work...

I play Strats when I have to, but I admit that I'm not good at Strats -- I can't make 'em sound right. While I have nothing against positions 2 & 4, I find that I almost never use them. I think I use the middle pickup by itself more than anything -- I must be the only one ever to do that! 21 frets is also the dumbest idea ever. Here's another one -- let's put the volume knob as close to the strings as possible. And the jack on the front of the guitar? Nope, can't dig that either. Scale length? Do Not Like.

So, as long as I can have a humbucker on the bridge, I can deal with a Strat.

wiggly necks?
'splain plz

fender_strat_neck_joint___final_1.jpg

Long maple stick held on by four wood screws at one end. Wiggles like spaghetti. Hate em.

all my guitars are like that(more or less), except the SG
never noticed any wiggle

except when I dropped the one Rich down the stairs :facepalm:
for the record, it was fine

I was into the super strat way back in the early 80's. I kind of left it back there when I entered the 90's. I prefer the traditional single coil sound now but recently have been longing for another superstrat again (HSS config). It isn't an urgency but just a want.

I don't hate Strats. I keep one around the house. I prefer humbuckers. But I'll use a Strat if I am looking for that sound.

I like the idea of a Strat but have never liked the sound of any of the Strats I own. The "Strat" do like is my Sixgun LE but it has a Tele pickup in the bridge.

I prefer P90's to Strat style single coils.

I have an interesting take on a Strat in the works. We will see what you guys think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will say, that I don't like to use single coils for crunchy stuff because of the noise, and the best noiseless singles are just too punchy for me. But for cleans, the mighty Strat reigns supreme.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

In the early 90s and strat was all I played. I tried a Les Paul, Jaguar, Telecaster and many others but always went back to the strat. Then when I quit gigging around 10 years ago, I got rid of most of my guitars and didn't own a strat. A year or so ago, I went over to a friends house to jam (he played bass in one of my college bands). He had a few strats, so I grabbed one and started to play. I tried a few of his and I just couldn't gel with them anymore. No idea why, but they didn't feel right or sound right. Now that I am playing short scale guitars I think my strat days are done.

I love Strata purely for the 2 and 4 positions. Otherwise gimme a Tele.

Sent from none of your fuckin' business!

strats are ok. i used to play them all the time and nothing else. one fateful night changed that forever, but you've all heard that story so no need to repeat it. i'm mostly a singlecut/humbuckers kind of guy. if i need single coils in my sound these days, then i generally reach for something with P90s or DeArmonds.

that said, i have a great old stratocaster that i quite enjoy. it's got the 3-way blade switch so there's no 2- or 4-position option (although you can "fake" it somewhat by floating the selector in between positions). i love the neck on this one - big and chunky and not like the contemporary ones at all. here's a pic if you're interested:
w64FenderStrat_Fiesta-001.jpg

i also have a tyler strat-type with a humbucker in the bridge that is one of my go-to instruments. here's a pic of that:
w03TylerBurningWater-001.jpg

i also have an old Charvel Model 1 that i played a lot of shows with and appreciate a lot. it has a stock Jackson humbucker at the bridge as the only pickup (great rock/metal pickup), and just a volume knob. i decked the bridge so the guitar functions as a hardtail. i love it. my best friend and i painted our band's logo on it with paint pens (totally removeable, but i'll never take it off because it's rad and we were in our early teens), and i slapped a pushead sticker on there at some point early on. here's a pic of the Charvel:
w89CharvelModel1-001.jpg

The biggest problem I have with strata is I can't go into a music store without finding another one I want. If I had my way I'd probably have 15-20 of them. I want a Clapton, and a Buddy Guy and one of every 50's car color, and a three color sunburst, and an aerodyne, and a ...................

As an acoustic guitarist who only occasionally plays electric, I couldn't tell you a thing about pickups, switch positions, or anything else along that line; my electric guitar choices are simply aesthetic. For the longest time I felt Strats were too pointy (imagine that, Peeker) and wouldn't own one. That shanged when I saw the ESP relic's start copy I once owned. I am still partial to the Tele style body, but am not as anti-Strat as I once was.

Back