Why don't YOU like Les Pauls?

Dogsinplastic

avuncular to no one
Obvious spin-off thread, but I figured I'd give it a go.

I actually love Les Pauls, or at least a shit ton of music that has been created, recorded, or played on them. In my youth I lusted after a few in guitar mags and at the shops, but I've never owned one and have no real desire for one (at least not the classic carved top versions...really only the Special).

All of my guitars are either Fender style or have Fender style bridges (Am Std Strat, '69 Thinline RI Tele, ASAT Special, PRS Custom, PRS CE-22 maple top) or acoustic bridges (two Taks, Ibby Talman, Morgan Monroe short-scale 12-string cutaway, and Godin A-5 bass). So hitting the opposite of what someone mentioned with the Strat, I find the strings to be too far from the body.

Additionally, the controls aren't as easily at my fingertips as my collection. And while neither huge handed or fat fingered, I do find the 24 3/4" scale a little cramped (yet I totally fine with 25" scales). Then there's vibrato bridges...I love the Strat bridge and many of its non-locking variants. Not interested in the limited range of Bigsbies, the Maestro, or sideways vibratos. And I don't want a Floyd jammed on there. The Stets-Bar would work though.

Lastly, mod factor...Les Pauls are good for swapping pups, but you can't add pups without hacking into it or as easily mod the electronics. Obviously their electronics can and have been modded heavily (Zappa's LP Custom always pops into my mind, but Strats and Teles offer a bit more flexibility and relative reversibility. Pop two HBs in your Strat with 1 volume, 1 tone, 3-way blade and a pair of coil tap/phase switches, but don't like it? Pop your original three single guard back on and no one is the wiser. Of if you do like it, you can swap back and forth rather easily with one or two solder points. If you have a the swimming pool route, you also won't potentially alter the tone of the instrument by routing and removing wood.

So what's your beef...if you got one?

This is kinda silly because I rarely get up there, but upper fret access has always been an issue for me. I also haven't really bonded with any specific LP's, but I did like my 50's Tribute... I just liked my Reverend better.

Hopefully this will change later this year. :embarrassed:

I am not a fan of set necks. I don't like the way the neck angles back. That may be from playing forever on bolt neck guitars. I also don't like the 2 volume 2 tone knobs.

Heavy (modern weight relief aside), not very ergonomic, expensive...

I actually like LPs, but these are the reasons I don't own one right now. I think I like the idea of them more than the guitars themselves. Absolutely beautiful instruments with great tone, but they just aren't comfortable for me to play.

Just another tool for the job of making music.

Totally. And again, most of my favorite players play them or have played them...for instance (and in no particular order):

Ty Tabor (his main guitars now)
Clapton
Page
Beck
Santana
Allman/Betts
Schon
Fripp
Steve Mignano
Steve Howe
Zappa
Harrison
McCartney
Gilmour
Fogerty
Hackett
Buchanan
Mike Campbell
Vivian Campbell
Gary Moore
Lindsey Buckingham
Alex Lifeson
Neil Young
Warren Haynes
Frampton -- I'd totally take a three pupped custom like his...favorite LP custom style EVER!
Mark Wein

And I'll stop the list there. It's not just another tool, it's amazing tool for creating music. However, it just doesn't fit me as well as my current tools.

I am not a fan of set necks. I don't like the way the neck angles back. That may be from playing forever on bolt neck guitars. I also don't like the 2 volume 2 tone knobs.

I kind of agree...or did until I played my first PRS in the late '80s. Great access and the Strat style trem...fucking beautiful and damned near perfect for me. The only problem is that it's not a Tele...so I got a couple of those too.:thu:

Totally. And again, most of my favorite players play them or have played them...for instance (and in no particular order):

Mark Wein

And I'll stop the list there. It's not just another tool, it's amazing tool for creating music. However, it just doesn't fit me as well as my current tools.

Kiss ass.

Heavy, can't get used to the bridge height compared to Strat-style guitars, don't really get the point of two volume knobs, and the top fret access for me is too cumbersome. For LP-style guitars, I prefer the Hamer/PRS type with double cutaways. I play a Tradition MTQ, but if I had the money, I'd definitely upgrade to a Hamer Studio in a second.

Kiss ass.

Totally! And again...

Seriously though, there's some amazing stuff on Black Market Hearts that I can hear, but just can't imagine playing. What's more, it's not something relatively useless like light speed arpeggios, but wickedly musical stuff...reminiscent of the the Hellecasters in a blues context.

I'm not a fan of solid-body guitars with humbuckers. And there's something about the layout of the Les Paul that makes it awkward for me to play. Add in massive weight, a ridiculous price tag and the Gibson label, and it's just too much for me to deal with.

Heavy, can't get used to the bridge height compared to Strat-style guitars, don't really get the point of two volume knobs, and the top fret access for me is too cumbersome. For LP-style guitars, I prefer the Hamer/PRS type with double cutaways. I play a Tradition MTQ, but if I had the money, I'd definitely upgrade to a Hamer Studio in a second.

Similarly and something I forgot to mention. The bridge position relative to the body and the extremely narrow waist feel especially weird when I'm sitting. My had floats to a Fender position and readjusting it odd.

That said, I can adapt to any guitar, but I'm just instantly and more comfortable on Strats, Teles, PRSs, and flattop acoustics.

Back