Why don't YOU like Les Pauls?

I've just never bonded with one. Even the LP Special doublecut I have (which I think looks sexy as hell) I don't really enjoy playing that much.

Took me along time to find one that talks to me but when I did, magic!

I like them but you have to find the right one. The right one will fit in your hands with ease and the guitar will play like butter. Mark Wein, along with Tele911 have LP's that just sing and play like butter!

Continually changing specs based on quality of materials for that year
Manufacturing short cuts
Marketing over quality approach
Poor quality control
Company arrogance/ignorance of the law the CEO lobbied to update

Yeah, I'm on the fret access side of the argument against Pauls, but they're really sexy. I want one, I just don't know how much I'd play it.

Yeah, I'm on the fret access side of the argument against Pauls, but they're really sexy. I want one, I just don't know how much I'd play it.

I've always found that a weird area. I'm on board with as little in the way of obstructions for accessing upper frets, hence my preference for cutaway acoustics. You put 20 frets on there, I want to be able to access them with relative ease.

But I've been playing Strats and Teles for ever and don't find the Les Paul heel to be much of a bother. Slightly bigger, but not unmanageable. I know many folks feel they can't work with it at all and that's weird for me. That said, my HM Series Strat and Ibanez RG 770 had smaller/scalloped heels and provided amazing upperfret access with little to no heel obstructions. My PRS Custom has the small heel and is an amazing instrument all the way around. Conversely, those acoustic heels are HUGE, so Les Pauls still seem relatively accommodating to me.

I've always liked Les Pauls. I rarely play mine, but I had a couple fill in gigs. I told myself that I'm using the LP for all the gigs, and that's what it took to finally bond with it. It sounded incredible. And it plays fantastic. All the strangeness of the bridge (vs a strat bridge) went away by the third song of the night. Even the fat neck felt great after a few.

I generally like them. A few beefs:
Not a fan of the volume/tone controls. I prefer a master volume.
Many are too heavy.

But an LP Special with P90s is one of my favorite designs.

The only LP-style guitar I have at the moment is a Junior Special (well -- it's really a special!) with P90s. I like the way it sounds, but I find that the neck just isn't as comfortable to me as that of my fenders. Everything feels slightly cramped, and on chords where I use my pinkie on the high E string, I have to be very careful else it pulls over the edge of the fretboard. I also agree about dual tone/volume controls -- I don't need these. Oh, and I find that the "Rhythm/Teble" switch can be inadvertently bumped by my hand when I'm vigorously strumming. However, I can't really state that I don't like LPs -- I just find them a bit more difficult than Fenders!

I have nothing against Les Paul's. I avoided the expensive Gibson route by getting an Epiphone LP, and then upgrading the pups to Gibson Classic 57 & 57 Plus. I admit that it takes me a few minutes to get used to it, if I've been playing a lot of 25 1/2" scale, but once I do, the 24 3/4" scale is just fine. Sure it's a little heavy, but at my age, being able to still lift heavy things is a badge of honor. :) Other than that, I make sure I get a strap that makes the weight comfortable to bear. I probably wouldn't be interested in getting several, as I have with the Strats, but if this one ever came up for sale, it would be very hard to resist.

Gibson_Les_Paul_Custom_Figured_Maple_Neck_Antique_Natural_CS104392_1.jpg

Back