Whole30, does it work?

MonkeyZero

Mexican Mayonnaise Weiner Sandwich
Yes. Yes it does.
Wife and I started 3 weeks ago today. I'm down 12 lbs and she's down 14.
We cook every meal, makes it easier, and the food has been fantastic. I'm not craving anything.
Basic rules are no sugar or added sugar including any artificial sweeteners except naturally occurring sugars, no dairy, no soy, no gluten, no corn, no beans, no oats, no rice or grains.
Sounds like theres nothing left?
We eat beef, pork, chicken, turkey, fish, veggies, and fruit. Season with whatever. Only EVOO or ghee for sautee. Cocnut milk and almond milk help a lot!
Look it up. I feel fantastic!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I did it two years ago and lost about 35 lbs. I couldn't keep it up though.

I've been doing things a little different this time around. You'll find that it's the added sugar that's killing you. I know I'm going to get beat up for this but I've been eating vegetarian since June 1 and I'm down 21 lbs. Still cooking our own meals but enjoying everything. If it says sugar in the ingredients list we don't buy it. Here's the bottom line that I've found. If you cook your meals from real food, eat mostly plants and not overeat, you'll lose just fine. It's easier than the whole thirty by a mile.

I can dig it.
Except for some dairy, like cheese and heavy cream, I'm doing pretty much the same thing with the keto way of eating.
I still avoid the naturally occurring sugars when I can I.D. them, but I'm in such a state that if do I eat some, I just burn it off much easier than I used to be able to do.

I did it a couple of years ago and had great results also. Some good habits rubbed off, some bad habits slipped back in. I've been making a more concerted effort to generally eat healthier and maybe I'll try another 30 days. It's tough. I'm a big fan of craft beer and work 15 minutes away from the best pizza in the country.

I did it a couple of years ago and had great results also. Some good habits rubbed off, some bad habits slipped back in. I've been making a more concerted effort to generally eat healthier and maybe I'll try another 30 days. It's tough. I'm a big fan of craft beer and work 15 minutes away from the best pizza in the country.
Completely giving up good beer and bourbon has been tough. The food part hasn't bothered me. It has certainly helped my reflux. That's for sure.

Yes. Yes it does.
Wife and I started 3 weeks ago today. I'm down 12 lbs and she's down 14.
We cook every meal, makes it easier, and the food has been fantastic. I'm not craving anything.
Basic rules are no sugar or added sugar including any artificial sweeteners except naturally occurring sugars, no dairy, no soy, no gluten, no corn, no beans, no oats, no rice or grains.
Sounds like theres nothing left?
We eat beef, pork, chicken, turkey, fish, veggies, and fruit. Season with whatever. Only EVOO or ghee for sautee. Cocnut milk and almond milk help a lot!
Look it up. I feel fantastic!

It works very well, I have done it several times. That being said it is not intended to be a long term diet solution, but rather a dietary reset for your system. The intention is to start slowly adding things back into your diet at the end of the 30 days one at a time and see how your body reacts to them. Then you will know which foods cause inflammation and you can permanently remove them from your daily diet.

Completely giving up good beer and bourbon has been tough. The food part hasn't bothered me. It has certainly helped my reflux. That's for sure.

Yeah, I found it cleared up several conditions. Bad skin, sore feet, etc. Amazing how much shitty food effects your whole body.

Sadly it tastes so good we tend to not care. :tongue:

In my experience if you eat clean for long enough your body does not like processed food or sugar much. Sugar makes my physically sick, and processed foods tend to make me feel very bloated. I had two slices of pizza last week and I ended up vomiting later.

In my experience if you eat clean for long enough your body does not like processed food or sugar much.

I find the same thing. Unfortunately I've been eating too much crap and my body is loving sugar right now. Time for another Whole 30 for me so great time for the thread.

And hey Rev! :Wave:

What we're doing is similar, but not as extreme = because we're looking at it as a new lifestyle rather than a limited-term diet. Since the middle of March, I've lost something in the 18-20 pound range, and since I'm not "going back" I don't anticipate that it will be coming back. So far, the progress has been slower (perhaps a pound a week or so) since the first couple of months, but that's OK -- since this is a marathon and not a sprint. I've also gone down a pants size and feel a lot fitter (I've also been spinning and using dumbbells on alternate days). I hope that this Whole30 works for you -- but remember, if you just go back to your old habits, it won't be sustainable. You will have to make some permanent changes in order to preserve your gains -- er... losses! :thu:

My wife (GF at the time) tried it for about a week and it was fucking brutal. I'm thinking of trying it again here soon and if she doesn't want to hop on board that's fine.

My wife (GF at the time) tried it for about a week and it was fucking brutal. I'm thinking of trying it again here soon and if she doesn't want to hop on board that's fine.

The first time I saw it on paper it seemed like it would be tough but honestly, once I dug in, it wasn't hard. Maybe my mind was in the right place or something but I found I was enjoying food a lot more. I'd walk away from meals feeling great. The hardest thing for me, and it embarrasses me to say, was diet soda. Well, that and snacking. But those are habits. Once I was able to break those, everything else was pretty easy. It wasn't hard to transition to more normal after that because all I wanted was good food anyway. It took a few years before I started slipping. Now I am not happy with my eating so I'm loving the timing of the thread.

I gotta have sugar in my coffee :embarrassed: Not to make it syrupy-sweet, but it cuts down the acidic taste. I could probably cut out processed sugar other than that :embarrassed:

I've found the available food to be excellent. I am a chef by trade so that probably helps to be creative but honestly, it's not complicated.
The other night we had chicken wings and fries. Before that I made Thai Red Curry chicken with onion and peppers, just no rice. We love it.
Today is day 30 and I'm honestly very happy.
I lost 15lbs total and we can easily continue eating what we have been. It has just become what we do. We get all the nutrients we need and drink a ton more water than we did before which is always a good thing.

I'm keeping that Whole30 thing in my back pocket -- for if I get really stalled on what I'm doing. I think it might be a good kick-start.

Back