Whole30, does it work?

No beans? Interesting. They're so nutritious and calorie dense, might make the diet you describe more sustainable in the long-term. Just a thought if you find yourself hungry all the time. Or you could swap them out for fruit?

What about eggs? I think eggs are the only food that I would have a very hard time parting ways with. They're just far too amazing.

No beans? Interesting. They're so nutritious and calorie dense, might make the diet you describe more sustainable in the long-term. Just a thought if you find yourself hungry all the time. Or you could swap them out for fruit?

What about eggs? I think eggs are the only food that I would have a very hard time parting ways with. They're just far too amazing.

Beans, no bueno. Well, green beans are ok. You're not supposed to eat a lot of fruit either. I ate a ton of eggs on the whole 30. Egg scrambled up with whatever meat and veggies from the prior meal, was a staple. It's not really supposed to be a sustainable diet. It's supposed to inform you of what certain foods do to your body, and kind of reset how you approach your diet.

Beans, no bueno. Well, green beans are ok. You're not supposed to eat a lot of fruit either. I ate a ton of eggs on the whole 30. Egg scrambled up with whatever meat and veggies from the prior meal, was a staple. It's not really supposed to be a sustainable diet. It's supposed to inform you of what certain foods do to your body, and kind of reset how you approach your diet.

Check out Slow Carb for a sustainable and really easy to stick to way of eating clean.

This is exactly what we do.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I've been posting about this in my "healthy" thread but I figured I'd do a recap here.

I did the whole30 originally last spring and lost 25-30 lbs and felt pretty good but through stress, overwork, and some other stuff I fell off the wagon pretty hard and ended up gaining about 15-20 of it back. I restarted my 30 days on August 27th to coincide with my return to school and even though I felt really shitty for a week or two the physical and mental difference is huge. I ended the 30 days last week and haven't really felt like going off the diet. I had one restaurant meal at the Olive Garden of all places and even though I got the grilled salmon and broccoli there was so much butter involved that I was totally sick afterward.

My big realization this week is that I don't have any physical cravings for what I used to binge on but my brain still thinks it wants things like sugar and dairy. The mental or emotional part of my easting dysfunction has really become the challenge but I'm so afraid of feeling crappy or getting mentally foggy again that I just don't want to risk it right now. As stressed out as I am I still feel better than I can ever remember as an adult. having lost about 25 lbs translates to feeling better and having better energy on stage.

Both my wife and son are allergic to gluten and my wife is on a pretty restricted diet from some other health issues so she eats super clean anyway. It kind of feels like maybe I've finally made a lifestyle change. We'll check back in a few months or a year and see where I'm at.

I'm curious about these diets. not trying to be a jerk but why? I can only imagine you're looking for a silver bullet, a magic pill. Not everyone has or needs to have sthe same body profile, an imagined norm. What is a healthy body probably depends on many many factors and many which are not relative to a "body image". Some people will be "bigger" some will be "normal", whatever that is. Some of the "bigger" ones will be healthier than the "normal" ones.
There's an old saying "moderation is the key to life". Apply that to food. I think if I'm not mistaken that is what the Food dude Micheal Pollen advocates. Eat food in moderation. I saw beans mentioned above? what? that's crazy talk. Eat beans , even eat a bit of sugary foods now and then. The problem comes when the balance is lost when one drinks soda for breakfast and eats"empty calorie" B.S. constantly.
Eat healthy, eat less, eat food...be at least mildly active. no gym required...do yard work, cook meals, walk the dog. stay moving.
Myself is blessed i guess in that i can eat whatever I want and however much i want and never gain weight, i haven't varied weight by more than 10 lbs since i was 16...that's 32 years of plus or minus 10 and if I'm being honest by 5 lbs.
If i eat too much greasy fast food I'll probably get the shits cuz my body ain't used to it and is rejecting it. Likewise too much sugar and I will crash by afternoon (not to mention my dental costs will go up). Healthy fuel in the morning will keep me going...high fiber like beans, legumes, etc will keep me fuller longer. it's habit like anything else..sticking to it and not jumping from one fad diet to the next....
Eat food in moderation, the less processed the better.
Thats my 2 cents.

Last edited:
We are doing a similar dietary change as part of the Whole Life Challenge, (fall challenge) for 6 weeks. you can pick a diet level. There is a very strict level, a medium level, and a level that seems like pretty much how we mostly ate when we don't go out anyway. We are doing that medium level, that is very much like the Whole 30, but allows brown rice and eggs. Based on experience with doing the more strict anti-inflammation cleanses before, brown rice is ok with my system, and helps me stay on track as I need some carbs for my athletics. It allows peanuts too, but I am finding that I think minimizing peanuts and peanut butter is a good thing for me, though I really love peanut butter. Also, the diet allows dried fruit without added sugar. In the first week, I found I overdid those too. This second week, I plan on eliminating dried fruit to get the weight loss going better. I also know from experience that removing dried fruit speeds up the weight loss for me. I am down 4.5 lbs after a week on the program.

My deal is I want to develop better habits over the 6 weeks so that I can have a sustainable daily life, and maybe a cheat day once a week allowing a non-compliant something, such as a good beer, or a bowl of popcorn, or chips and salsa. But really reduce such things on a daily basis, and not slide in to eating that way all the time. Then do cleanses/resets twice a year or so to keep things in check and on track. I think that can be a good plan for me in my 50's when my metabolism and exercise no longer make up for poor eating choices on their own.

Along with the diet, you get scored, either individually, or as part of a team, for engaging in daily exercise, stretching/mobility, meeting sleep goals, (a huge one for me, everything is better if I go to bed earlier), mindfulness/well-being practices (you try different ones each week so you pick what works for you) hydration, and a reflection at the end of each day. None of the goals are supposed to be huge. Just an improvement in each area for you. Trying to get all of them done each day for 6 weeks will be a good re-set on habits, I hope. Especially sleep, mobility, and mindfulness. I already did ok on the others.

Back