WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO....RIGHT NOW Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of my favorite Phish, loud.

PHCD187.jpg

Seeing "Bohemian Rhapsody" put me on Queen kick, so I've been listening to every album in chronological order. I'm up to "The Miracle" now. Honestly, I was never a fan of this era, but the songs aren't as terrible as I imagined they'd be.

This is playing now. The 80's encapsulated in video.

The listening project is completed. I have heard every freaking thing Queen ever did -- studio albums, live stuff, etc., some of it multiple times -- over the course of the week.

Probably not news to anyone here who cares about Queen, but "Live at the Rainbow '74" was a particularly good set of tunes.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lAqj-FuTSLllcqPi6N1Cg73cApw4f-vXo

Progheads in here may want to check out the latest Pineapple Thief album - Dissolution.

Some seriously kickarse drumming by a certain Gavin Harrison on it. A few of the songs a bit too Porcupine Tree-ish for my taste, but it's quite good.

Some Liszt, played by Valentina Lisitsa. I think that there may be one or two clams here & there. VL has amazing speed & overall technique, but seems a little hammered out at times. Eg- Her Appassionata is fairly unrefined at times, or maybe she wasn't really warmed up, or just a bad day or something.

Last edited:
Some Liszt, played by Valentina Lisitsa. I think that there may be one or two clams here & there. VL has amazing speed & overall technique, but seems a little hammered out at times. Eg- Her Appassionata is fairly unrefined at times, or maybe she wasn't really warmed up, or just a bad day or something.

No, not a bad day, that’s her. Of course she’s a virtuoso and of course she’s in the 99.9% percentile, but that’s not enough when this repertoire has been around for 150 years and with an audience that has an unreal level of connoisseurship.

If you want to hear some really terrifyingly intelligent and specific takes on Liszt and Rachmaninov, Daniil Trifonov is the one that you really need to check out. He’s still in his late-20s. But I don’t think that there’s anyone else who’s better at that kind of repertoire. An altogether rarer and more exclusive tier than Lisitsa.

No, not a bad day, that’s her. Of course she’s a virtuoso and of course she’s in the 99.9% percentile, but that’s not enough when this repertoire has been around for 150 years and with an audience that has an unreal level of connoisseurship.

If you want to hear some really terrifyingly intelligent and specific takes on Liszt and Rachmaninov, Daniil Trifonov is the one that you really need to check out. He’s still in his late-20s. But I don’t think that there’s anyone else who’s better at that kind of repertoire. An altogether rarer and more exclusive tier than Lisitsa.

Thanks, I'll check that out. I like Vladimir Ashkenazy for Rachmaninovs Etude Tableaux. I've never heard of Daniil Trifonov- It's amazing to think that someone in their late 20s can basically master Rachmaninov & Liszt. Being able to play anything like that at all is an accomplishment, let alone really refining it.

It really makes me appreciate Liszt & Rachmaninov even more. Not only having that level of technical expressive capacity, but having the scope of creativity to compose music like that in the first place. I think they must have been a different kind of human altogether.

The listening project is completed. I have heard every freaking thing Queen ever did -- studio albums, live stuff, etc., some of it multiple times -- over the course of the week.

Probably not news to anyone here who cares about Queen, but "Live at the Rainbow '74" was a particularly good set of tunes.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lAqj-FuTSLllcqPi6N1Cg73cApw4f-vXo

Personally I love the Montreal show. That to me was their pinnacle of the "old" Queen before they went full on 80s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back