The Official "Marvel Cinematic Universe" thread...

Are the TV shows part of the Universe?

I'm wondering whether I can watch them on netflix...I do the discs thru the mail, but when I looked up the Jessica Jones series the other day on the netflix site, there's a 'Watch It Now' tab. I haven't clicked it yet, but I wonder if you pay a small fee (being I'm subscribed to discs, and not to streaming) to watch it on your computer, since those series aren't out on disc.

I'm not sure if they are part of it, but they do reference the Avengers and the shows are set after the battle in NYC from the first Avengers movie. They reference that too from time to time in the shows.

Are the TV shows part of the Universe?

I'm wondering whether I can watch them on netflix...I do the discs thru the mail, but when I looked up the Jessica Jones series the other day on the netflix site, there's a 'Watch It Now' tab. I haven't clicked it yet, but I wonder if you pay a small fee (being I'm subscribed to discs, and not to streaming) to watch it on your computer, since those series aren't out on disc.

Yes, the Netflix shows and ABC's Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter are part of the MCU. The Netflix shows, however, are mostly self-contained, apart from some references to the movies.

Daredevil and Luke Cage are the bee's knees.

So, according to orthodoxy, the X-Men flicks aren't part of the "Universe"? I thought in particular after X-Men Apocalypse they were part of the family.

So, according to orthodoxy, the X-Men flicks aren't part of the "Universe"? I thought in particular after X-Men Apocalypse they were part of the family.

Jessica Jones was my favourite of the bunch.

The film rights for the X-Men characters currently belong to Fox. I can't remember which studio has the Fantastic Four.

I am anxiously awaiting Daredevil Season 3. I think the first two seasons were remarkably well done. I watched Episode 1 of Luke Cage, and it didn't grab me. It honestly felt like it was targeted at a demographic that is... well, not me.

Then I watched all of Jessica Jones, and besides really enjoying it, it gave me valuable perspective on Luke Cage that I was lacking on my initial viewing. So now I will go ahead and finish Luke Cage, but only after I catch up on all the damned DC shows that sucked me in.

No, the DC shows are not on par with the Marvel shows, especially in budget, cinematography, and overall quality, but they are pretty entertaining in their own right from what I've seen so far.

We started watching The Flash a few months ago and it reeled us in pretty hard. Then it got to that convoluted 3-way mash up episode where the end of a Flash episode was "continued on The Arrow", so I had to track down the ONE episode of The Arrow that picks up the story. It didn't make much sense to me because I'd never watched the show and had no clue what I was seeing. Then the bastards had THAT episode end with "to be concluded on DC's Legends of Tomorrow". WTF!

So I of course then had to watch that too.

So after catching completely up with The Flash, then completely catching up with Legends of Tomorrow, I started at episode 1 of The Arrow. I just today got back to that point where the three shows collided, and now it all makes sense (sort of).

The bitch part is, that I was so late to the party that I never once had to wait for a new season of any of them to begin. I was able to binge watch the shit out of them all, but now I only have about 11 episodes left of The Arrow before I'm caught up across the board. It's going to suck waiting a full week between episodes when they all start back up.

We threw in the towel on Agents of SHIELD a long time ago, and never watched Agent Carter at all.

So I guess once I wrap up The Arrow for now, I can finish Luke Cage and then revisit Agents while checking out Agent Carter.

Phew!

Then it got to that convoluted 3-way mash up episode where the end of a Flash episode was "continued on The Arrow", so I had to track down the ONE episode of The Arrow that picks up the story. It didn't make much sense to me because I'd never watched the show and had no clue what I was seeing. Then the bastards had THAT episode end with "to be concluded on DC's Legends of Tomorrow". WTF!

Is things like that that made me not read a lot of Big Two comics anymore. I guess the streamings means you don't have to hunt down and pay extra for your gratuitous continuity homework punishment these days, but I find it hard to see it as a feature. (I know others do and I do not judge or at least I don't admit it c'mon you all know I'm judging right?)

I watched Iron Fist and I liked it largely because it wasn't very good, the same way you eat crisps ("chips") for the crunchy greasy badness that isn't supposed to be Fine Dining or even really food if it comes to that. Worried that the others in the TV MCU will get too homeworky or too Quality Drama, so I haven't dared yet.

We started watching The Flash a few months ago and it reeled us in pretty hard. Then it got to that convoluted 3-way mash up episode where the end of a Flash episode was "continued on The Arrow", so I had to track down the ONE episode of The Arrow that picks up the story. It didn't make much sense to me because I'd never watched the show and had no clue what I was seeing. Then the bastards had THAT episode end with "to be concluded on DC's Legends of Tomorrow". WTF!

I didn't even think about this because I watched them as they unfolded in real time... when Supergirl went to CW, you had her on Monday, Flash on Tuesday, Arrow on Wednesday, and Legends on Thursday.

I suppose it's not that far removed from when a comic book story crosses over and you either need to wait for the collected edition, or you need 1 comic from Spiderman, one from the Avengers, one Hulk, and one Cap to tell the story. :grin:

The action on Netflix Daredevil is top notch and Kingpin was probably the best developed villain of any movie or series so far. Really excited for him to come back (actually a little disappointed he isn't the big bad for Defenders).

Jessica Jones is still my favorite of the Netflix so far because it was so cerebral and twisted. I really hope the Defenders director gets more out of Iron Fist than his Season One did. If someone wants to get caught up before Defenders you seriously could watch the first and last episodes from Iron Fist (Or first two and last two) and you'll know everything you need to know. The rest of it was a convoluted "who can Danny Trust" as he wined and stomped his feet instead of being a kick ass living weapon like he's supposed to be. :annoyed:

The first half of Luke Cage is better than the second half and the show runners even admit that. They didn't realize until it was finished how good of a character they had with Cottonmouth. Reminds me of some of the DC movies where they kind of waste a good character like when Nolan was expecting the Joker to carry his next movie and killed off Two-Face... and then Ledger died. Then they had to scramble and come up with new villains that were sort-of-maybe-if-people-remember a call back to the first movie. :facepalm:

In the theaters... from Deadpool to Logan to Wonder Woman to Spider-man..... fuck. They are really hitting their stride (after disappointments like Bats vs Stupes and Suicidal ReShoot Squad). I'm so fucking pumped for Ragnarok and Infinity War that I can barely contain myself!!!

I didn't even think about this because I watched them as they unfolded in real time... when Supergirl went to CW, you had her on Monday, Flash on Tuesday, Arrow on Wednesday, and Legends on Thursday.

I suppose it's not that far removed from when a comic book story crosses over and you either need to wait for the collected edition, or you need 1 comic from Spiderman, one from the Avengers, one Hulk, and one Cap to tell the story. :grin:

The action on Netflix Daredevil is top notch and Kingpin was probably the best developed villain of any movie or series so far. Really excited for him to come back (actually a little disappointed he isn't the big bad for Defenders).

Jessica Jones is still my favorite of the Netflix so far because it was so cerebral and twisted. I really hope the Defenders director gets more out of Iron Fist than his Season One did. If someone wants to get caught up before Defenders you seriously could watch the first and last episodes from Iron Fist (Or first two and last two) and you'll know everything you need to know. The rest of it was a convoluted "who can Danny Trust" as he wined and stomped his feet instead of being a kick ass living weapon like he's supposed to be. :annoyed:

The first half of Luke Cage is better than the second half and the show runners even admit that. They didn't realize until it was finished how good of a character they had with Cottonmouth. Reminds me of some of the DC movies where they kind of waste a good character like when Nolan was expecting the Joker to carry his next movie and killed off Two-Face... and then Ledger died. Then they had to scramble and come up with new villains that were sort-of-maybe-if-people-remember a call back to the first movie. :facepalm:

In the theaters... from Deadpool to Logan to Wonder Woman to Spider-man..... fuck. They are really hitting their stride (after disappointments like Bats vs Stupes and Suicidal ReShoot Squad). I'm so fucking pumped for Ragnarok and Infinity War that I can barely contain myself!!!

So you liked Wonder Woman?

Luke Cage took a few episodes for me to get into, but by then I'd have probably kept watching for the soundtrack anyway. Iron Fist was disappointing, but I watched it because I collected Power-Man & Iron Fist back in the day, so mentally, nostalgically, they're a matched set.

Daredevil had me within about 5 minutes, and I'm stoked for Punisher. I wouldn't have predicted such a well-developed character from his first appearances.

So you liked Wonder Woman?

The DCU finally got one right! The scene where she steps out onto the WWI battle field in full armor is amazing. It's not just cool looking but actually has emotional character motivation behind it. So cool. It still gets a little CGI heavy at the end and gives her energy absorbing/reflecting powers that I don't think the comic has ever touched on... but Warner needed bright lights and big booms in their finale.

The success of Wonder Woman and the fact they brought Joss Whedon in to finish Justice League actually gives me hope that it won't suck.

The DCU finally got one right! The scene where she steps out onto the WWI battle field in full armor is amazing. It's not just cool looking but actually has emotional character motivation behind it. So cool. It still gets a little CGI heavy at the end and gives her energy absorbing/reflecting powers that I don't think the comic has ever touched on... but Warner needed bright lights and big booms in their finale.

The success of Wonder Woman and the fact they brought Joss Whedon in to finish Justice League actually gives me hope that it won't suck.

Yeah, I loved Wonder Woman. I get folks down on the CGI, but that is where we are now, it is everywhere. I can't dislike a movie because of CGI.

Yeah, I loved Wonder Woman. I get folks down on the CGI, but that is where we are now, it is everywhere. I can't dislike a movie because of CGI.

That last battle was just poorly done on a lot of levels. It wouldn't have made much of a difference if it were live action.

I've yet to see Wonder Woman, but I will always call out and be down on BAD CGI. Make as perfect as possible or don't freaking bother. It only gets worse on our HD tvs and computer, tablet, and phone screens. Put in the extra work (that means paying the extra dollars). Unfortunately I know WW was kept under tighter budget ($149 vs $300 for BvS), but that budget was still freaking HUGE.

Basically I accept the tech, I just expect it to be done well. Then again, I expect pop stars, you know "musicians", to actually be able to sing. Maybe I'm just too demanding...Maybe I'm just like your mother, She's never satisfied.

That last battle was just poorly done on a lot of levels. It wouldn't have made much of a difference if it were live action.

Agreed. The battle was guilty of some of the same issues as the BvS final... Big explosions and clouds of smoke, shit flying everywhere until you can't even tell where they are any more. Goes beyond "actors in front of a green screen" to the point of "the actors went home and we did the whole shot in this dark blurry CGI background." Buildings? Trees? Any reference to the actual space? Nah... Fuck it. More explosions. :embarrassed:

The thing I try to ask myself with any CGI scene is, "Would it be humane to ask this of an actor or stuntperson?"

In many cases the answer is No. They could get terribly burned or contused. And I shudder to think what might have happened if a live actor had to withstand a real Dementor's Kiss in Harry Potter.

But then I think about all the talented stunt performers displaced by CGI, and their irreparably ravaged connective tissues from half a lifetime spent in a profession no longer deemed super-human enough...

:(

I loved the movie, but I agree that the ending was a bit too over the top. It was the weakest point of the movie, imo.

am27edX_700b.jpg

Back