The Official "Marvel Cinematic Universe" thread...

baimun

Funkasaurus Rex
We've got Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2" coming out in a few weeks.... then Thor: Ragnarok, Black Panther, and Avengers: Infinity War... so I figured we might as well have one thread to keep all this good stuff in one place!

When I first heard that Infinity War was not going to be Part 1 and Part 2 but instead have two separate titles, I figured maybe half was going to be on earth and half in space... but recent announcements have me thinking something different.

During the GotGv2 press tour (director) James Gunn said that Adam Warlock wasn't going to be in this movie. And then he said "probably not Infinity War either... most likely he would appear in GotG Vol 3.... :eek:

That got me thinking....

... if the timeline is GotGv2, then Infinity War... and then GotGv3....

... that would make the next Avengers.....

Infinity_Gauntlet_1.jpg

:baimun:

Mrs V and I gave up on Civil War, which felt entirely too much like a big pile of continuity being dropped on our heads. Looking forward to Guardians and despite myself Black Panther.

On the Disney side I've only seen the first Iron Man and Avengers movies. I also saw the Dr. Strange flick. Anyway I've been thinking about catching up on these because I've been drinking.

What's the ideal order to watch them in for whatever goofy continuity reasons?

On the Disney side I've only seen the first Iron Man and Avengers movies. I also saw the Dr. Strange flick. Anyway I've been thinking about catching up on these because I've been drinking.

What's the ideal order to watch them in for whatever goofy continuity reasons?

As released.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ok so fuck those?

What about spiderman? I saw the first one. It was ok.

I'm getting progressively drunker here so it's probably best to just make a list before I accidentally watch the fantastic 4 :embarrassed:

Oh yeah the old punisher movie with dolph lundgren! That was kinda cool :lol:

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ok so fuck those?

What about spiderman? I saw the first one. It was ok.

I'm getting progressively drunker here so it's probably best to just make a list before I accidentally watch the fantastic 4 :embarrassed:

Oh yeah the old punisher movie with dolph lundgren! That was kinda cool :lol:

Yes, fuck the Hulk, X-Men, Spider-Man, and Fantastic Four movies. Others are kosher.

But yes, the first Spidey flick was well-done, I thought. Second was an abomination.

EDIT: actually, yeah, I'm wrong, I forgot about the Hulk movie with Ed Norton. That one counts, but you can forget about it because it's obviously super-forgettable.

@sonik Both the Toby Maguire and Andrew Garfield Spiderman movies are Sony and NOT Marvel Cinematic Universe.

That's why it was a big deal when young Spiderman showed up in Civil War. The new Spiderman: Homecoming is set during and right after the events of Civil War.

MCU is doing a great job of each movie being enjoyable on their own merits, and each having a slightly different feel. Want to watch a Spy Movie? Captain America: Winter Soldier. Want to watch an Oceans 11 style caper? Ant Man. Scrappy outsiders and humorous sidekicks? Guardians of the Galaxy.

Now, that said.... if you watch them in order, there are bread crumbs... some small.... some massive.... connecting the dots between the movies. PARTICULARLY the after credits scenes.

Technically the order is as follows:

Phase I
1. Iron Man (the after credits scene was for the fans. They hadn't even decided to actually connect the movies yet)
2. The Incredible Hulk (Edward Norton one... not the Ang Lee one)
3. Iron Man 2 (setup of the connected movies)
4. Thor (Introduction of Loki)
5. Captain America: The First Avenger (when they started using chapter names instead of numbers for the sequels)
6. The Avengers. (Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Captain America, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Nick Fury, Loki)

Phase II
7. Iron Man 3
8. Thor: The Dark World
9. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (my personal favorite)
10. Guardians of the Galaxy (kinda disconnected from the others for now...)
11. Avengers: Age of Ultron
12. Ant Man

Phase III
13. Captain America: Civil War (amazing bookend to Winter Soldier)
14. Doctor Strange

[Where we are right this moment]
15. Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 2
16. Spiderman: Homecoming
17: Thor: Ragnarok
18. Black Panther
19. Avengers: Infinity War
20. Ant Man and the Wasp
21. Captain Marvel

And then we will get the follow up to Infinity War... which I think will be Infinity Gauntlet, another Spiderman and Guardians movie... and who knows what else. :grin:

There you go.... Dig in. :baimun:

I might watch Ragnarok for kicks. I'm not going to try keeping track of all the crazy Avengers Infinity Gauntlet stuff.

Just think of it as a series that has a few seasons to binge watch.

Well, I guess I already do. But I wonder if they are going to run into tension between that model and the bums-on-seats with stupid glasses and overpriced popcorn model that's grossing the grosses out there. For me that shark has been jumped already, but am I a decrepit and irrelevant fuddy-duddy or a canary in the mine?

I've only seen a few of these things...usually opportunistically (i.e., I've wanted to go to the show, and these MCU films are often the least bad option). Most of these movies are reliable entertainment where nothing goes horribly wrong from a filmmaking standpoint...except for Iron Man 3 which I was dragged to and is pure garbage.

Mostly, these things are like big teevee. The plots are pretty much all the same, just reskinned to meet the needs of the characters in question.

Here's my recommendation for what to bother with...

Legitimately Good:
Captain America: Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy

Inoffensive/Mildly Amusing:
Avengers 1: Attack of the Money
Dr. Strange (not particularly interesting, but Cumberbatch is engaging in it)

Meh:
Captain America: Civil War

Substandard Saturday Afternoon Cable TV Movie Junk:
Thor
Iron Man 3

You can watch any of these films without all the continuity nonsense. A relatively smart 5th grader could catch on pretty quickly without the back story. Just believe in the POWER OF FRIENDSHIP and you'll be fine. But you might be tested at the end, where your sidekicks need to do a time-sensitive thing to unlock the power upgrade you need to complete the boss battle. Also, lots of shit will blow up and it will kinda remind you of 9/11, but not in a buzzkill way like those atrocious, stillborn DC Universe movies.

I was kinda drunk, watched about 15 minutes of Thor, and then remembered the new season of Vikings is out and switched :embarrassed:

giphy.gif

Back