The Official "Marvel Cinematic Universe" thread...

I've only seen a few of these things...usually opportunistically (i.e., I've wanted to go to the show, and these MCU films are often the least bad option). Most of these movies are reliable entertainment where nothing goes horribly wrong from a filmmaking standpoint...except for Iron Man 3 which I was dragged to and is pure garbage.

Mostly, these things are like big teevee. The plots are pretty much all the same, just reskinned to meet the needs of the characters in question.

Here's my recommendation for what to bother with...

Legitimately Good:
Captain America: Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy

Inoffensive/Mildly Amusing:
Avengers 1: Attack of the Money
Dr. Strange (not particularly interesting, but Cumberbatch is engaging in it)

Meh:
Captain America: Civil War

Substandard Saturday Afternoon Cable TV Movie Junk:
Thor
Iron Man 3

You can watch any of these films without all the continuity nonsense. A relatively smart 5th grader could catch on pretty quickly without the back story. Just believe in the POWER OF FRIENDSHIP and you'll be fine. But you might be tested at the end, where your sidekicks need to do a time-sensitive thing to unlock the power upgrade you need to complete the boss battle. Also, lots of shit will blow up and it will kinda remind you of 9/11, but not in a buzzkill way like those atrocious, stillborn DC Universe movies.

My son was watching Dr. Strange recently, and I saw most of it with him. I can barely recall the plot, but I think the cape is the best part of that movie. I'm not a comic book/MCU film buff, but I kinda hope Marvel creates a series featuring the cape. That could be fun.

I haven't seen Strange yet but I can find something redeeming in all of them. My inner kid comes racing out when I see another release slated.
Reminds me of heading off to the corner drug store every month to pick up the latest issues.

You haters can keep your Housewives of whatever horrible city of your choice. The MCU movies are pretty much the only ones I'll actually spend money on lately. Although, Get Out! was a hoot.

You haters can keep your Housewives of whatever horrible city of your choice. The MCU movies are pretty much the only ones I'll actually spend money on lately. Although, Get Out! was a hoot.

This post should be bronzed and given a place of honor in the Halls of Logic.

I saw Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 last night..... what a ride!!!

If you are a DC fan and hate the over-the-top humor of the first GotG, then there's about 4 x as much for you to hate in this movie. I didn't think I was going to laugh this hard at the movie considering how many jokes were given away in the trailer, but there's a ton more jokes they didn't give away. They did not pull any punches in the over-the-top humor department, but most of them work.

They go even crazier with the space battles, and some of the fight scenes are dizzing in 3D, but ultimately the story is more personal than the first one.

Probably the best Stan Lee cameo yet.... and one that may have further reaching ramifications in future movies. :eek:

After credits scene? Two?

When the movie ends, just get comfortable......

... there's no less than FIVE extra scenes during and after the credits.... but the entire credits scene works so well. Those of you who love pouring over album covers and the little pictures and such in the liner notes... it's just like that. SO much stuff that I want to look for the next time I see it.

BRING ON RAGNAROK, INFINITY WAR, and INFINITY GAUNTLET!!!!!

guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-trailer-baby-groot-05-get-your-seatbelt-on.png

I saw Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 last night..... what a ride!!!

If you are a DC fan and hate the over-the-top humor of the first GotG, then there's about 4 x as much for you to hate in this movie. I didn't think I was going to laugh this hard at the movie considering how many jokes were given away in the trailer, but there's a ton more jokes they didn't give away. They did not pull any punches in the over-the-top humor department, but most of them work.

They go even crazier with the space battles, and some of the fight scenes are dizzing in 3D, but ultimately the story is more personal than the first one.

Probably the best Stan Lee cameo yet.... and one that may have further reaching ramifications in future movies. :eek:

After credits scene? Two?

When the movie ends, just get comfortable......

... there's no less than FIVE extra scenes during and after the credits.... but the entire credits scene works so well. Those of you who love pouring over album covers and the little pictures and such in the liner notes... it's just like that. SO much stuff that I want to look for the next time I see it.

BRING ON RAGNAROK, INFINITY WAR, and INFINITY GAUNTLET!!!!!

guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-trailer-baby-groot-05-get-your-seatbelt-on.png

Why would anyone hate the over the top humor? I am one of the few who liked Superman and Batman V Superman, but the humor from Vol 1 was what made the movie for me.

Why would anyone hate the over the top humor?.

I've overheard people say they don't like all the "stupid jokes" in marvel movies and like their comic book based movies "more serious".

Methinks those are people who struggle with the fact that they like comic books. They want to be taken so seriously

BUMP!

Saw "Spiderman: Homecoming" today. Was thoroughly entertained. Probably in the top 5 of the current MCU movies IMO.

BUMP!

Saw "Spiderman: Homecoming" today. Was thoroughly entertained. Probably in the top 5 of the current MCU movies IMO.

Yeah. I don't know where I'd rate it, but I enjoyed it. But it gets boring during almost all of the action scenes. The longer they are, the more boring they are. This is, to be fair, true of most movies with action scenes. Nevertheless, I felt the discrepancy strongly here.

Went to Spiderman today. Some high points and some low points. Personally I prefer "The Amazing Spiderman" because that is the comic I grew up. With that said, was kind of disappointed only because I am old school. FWIW, the movie had Michael Keaton playing a role I did not expect. Kudos to him playing the Vulture. Interesting that they threw the Shocker in there as well. I guess they had to put Spiderman into modern times so that twist in making it current was very interesting and cool. Had to get the old school mentality out of the way. Tough to do though....

Aunt May aka Marisa Tomei was a big twist in the Avengers. That one got me big time because of my old school expectations of Aunt May being quite old. Now Aunt May is freakin' hot and the scene from the Wrestler still pops into my mind. I will leave that there for those who have not seen that movie.

As for the comedy, a few chuckles but I busted up on the last scene before the credits. That was fuckin' funny!!!!

Was Birdman in the MCU I forget?

First introduction to the movie franchise that I am aware. Both charactors were villians of the Amazing Spiderman series back when I read the comics.

I also was surprised to see The Shocker in their as a sidekick. Only thing missing was the Shocker always wore a mask too. The good part about the Vulture was that Keaton wore the jacket with the feathery collar which made one believe that they kept to the original Vulture.

Last edited:
BTW: are any minor baddies or innocent bystanders or anyone else killed on-screen in the new Spiderman? This is a very important detail in our household, and I don't want to have to go see it first myself to check and then again as an accompanist. (I am not particularly squeamish but our main Spider-man enthusiast strongly doesn't care for that sort of thing.)

I'm assuming whether or not this is okay for kids to see? There is a minor bad guy who shuffles off the mortal coil.

Innocent crowd wise... I think Spidey does a great job of saving everyone.

Probably the most family friendly of the Marvel flicks... even as cute as Guardians can be, Yondu messes some guys up pretty graphically with that arrow of his.

I'm assuming whether or not this is okay for kids to see? There is a minor bad guy who shuffles off the mortal coil.

Thanks. The thing is the person in question refuses to understand that -- in blockbusting drama as in life -- characters' deaths are weighted in emotional impact according to their importance to the plot and their moral character, so if a Big Bad ices a failed sidekick in passing to underscore (for example) his callousness, that's a deal-breaker, and the kind of mass-slaughter of extras seen in (for example) Green Lantern is right out.

It is an odd world view, for sure, but there you have it.

Are the TV shows part of the Universe?

I'm wondering whether I can watch them on netflix...I do the discs thru the mail, but when I looked up the Jessica Jones series the other day on the netflix site, there's a 'Watch It Now' tab. I haven't clicked it yet, but I wonder if you pay a small fee (being I'm subscribed to discs, and not to streaming) to watch it on your computer, since those series aren't out on disc.

Back