some exceptionally good new country music

Then what would you call a country artist who is fresh to the scene?

A new artist fresh to the country scene?

Or, welcome?

Whenever I see 'new country', I immediately think pop country schlock. Sorry, I didn't name the genre. I did listen, though, and it was immediately clear that he wasn't one of 'them'.

I don't think you guys understand the true meaning of country music.
deliverance-banjo-boy-e1296452279364.jpg

Thread title does not compute.

I am blissfully ignorant about Country music. Tons of exceptionally talented musicians perform it, I admire the skills it takes to chicken pick, I think Roy Clark and Jerry Reed are two of the biggest talents in 1900's pop culture.

Still can't disassociate the genre from the inbred, redneck, hillbilly culture that a fair chunk of the fan base is steeped in.

I know that sounds bigoted, unfair and judgmental. It most likely is. But for a kid whose twisted evil stepfather that left a po dunk West Virginia coal mining town at 14 with a 7th grade education to join the Marine Corp and fight in Korea and Vietnam before retiring, and who was a despicable human being and an inbred, redneck hillbilly that played Country music in the car while smoking his Benson and Hedges with the windows rolled up and locked no matter how long the trip...

Yeah, in my brain, Country music always has and always will equal that guy.

This is extremely unlikely to ever change.

The opener, Anderson East, was outstanding.
Joe Cocker + Ray Lamontagne + Steve Cropper
Will definitely check out more after the show.

f2d32820cb86f21b0c1cd7a5fc6717fc.jpg

Thread title does not compute.

I am blissfully ignorant about Country music. Tons of exceptionally talented musicians perform it, I admire the skills it takes to chicken pick, I think Roy Clark and Jerry Reed are two of the biggest talents in 1900's pop culture.

Still can't disassociate the genre from the inbred, redneck, hillbilly culture that a fair chunk of the fan base is steeped in.

I know that sounds bigoted, unfair and judgmental. It most likely is. But for a kid whose twisted evil stepfather that left a po dunk West Virginia coal mining town at 14 with a 7th grade education to join the Marine Corp and fight in Korea and Vietnam before retiring, and who was a despicable human being and an inbred, redneck hillbilly that played Country music in the car while smoking his Benson and Hedges with the windows rolled up and locked no matter how long the trip...

Yeah, in my brain, Country music always has and always will equal that guy.

This is extremely unlikely to ever change.
That sucks, man. Sorry to hear that.
I dislike a lot of country fans and fans of just about any genre, probably. But that's a pretty shitty reason to tune out some really great music.
You're missing out.

Oh HELL YEAH I really really dig Sturgill Simpson, this cat is the Real Deal. His version of Mirrors is beyond OSSUM. I like him MUCH better than all of the Luke Bryan,Jason Aldean,Florida Georgia Line crap that is on all of the Country Stations now.

Reactions: Tig
That sucks, man. Sorry to hear that.
I dislike a lot of country fans and fans of just about any genre, probably. But that's a pretty shitty reason to tune out some really great music.
You're missing out.
I'm sure you're right. I have made attempts over the years to shed my bias and try to appreciate the stuff. I even bought a Garth Brooks CD once. His version of Shameless is unfreakingbelievably good. But, I just couldn't embrace it beyond that.

It could be worse, I saw a TV show a few years ago documenting the daily struggles of an agoraphob who would come apart at the seems every time he saw a Chevy El Camino. ..

I'll take an aversion to a certain type of music over that shit all day long.

Besides, my area is crawling with fucking El Caminos.

Lol OGG

Garth isn't really what I would consider good country by any means. I too despised country for a long time, coming from a hard rock/metal/jam band background.

You should look into some cow punk, might be a bit easier of a transition.

You're from SD, you ever catch a Beat Farmers show?

Lol OGG

Garth isn't really what I would consider good country by any means. I too despised country for a long time, coming from a hard rock/metal/jam band background.

You should look into some cow punk, might be a bit easier of a transition.

You're from SD, you ever catch a Beat Farmers show?

LOVED the Beat Farmers. Country Dick was an amazing man.

He has a daughter my age that I've been friends with for years. She comes to our shows.

Sturgill is great, but I'm still solidly in Isbell's camp. And he's heading into the studio today to start tracking the new album! Isbell and Strugill are both huge fans of each other and their Twitter conversations are pretty damn funny.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tig
Back