RIP Robin Williams

If a well-off guy like Robin Williams can't get help for his depression, what chance to the rest of us have?
High-cost treatment is not necessarily better than the average treatment. Often, the high-priced rehabs and treatment centers cater too much to the ego of those who come at a cost to the treatment. The effect of all the substances that Mr. Williams took on his brain chemistry, which was probably already affected by the chemical imbalance of his depression, made things difficult, I am sure.

Reactions: Tig
High-cost treatment is not necessarily better than the average treatment. Often, the high-priced rehabs and treatment centers cater too much to the ego of those who come at a cost to the treatment. The effect of all the substances that Mr. Williams took on his brain chemistry, which was probably already affected by the chemical imbalance of his depression, made things difficult, I am sure.

That, and having the huge pressure to succeed, and being under public scrutiny.

I was an adolescent when he debuted on Happy Days, then Mork and Mindy. He made me laugh in ways I do not think the TV had to that point. And his humor could have an introspective, sensitive side as well. "The World According to Garp" is one example that I have always enjoyed. And though I am sure he was not a perfect man, he just seemed like a kind man. This one hurts. Rest in peace, Robin Williams.

Reactions: Tig
when I live in SFCA I met him one time on upper haight. I walked past him, he was standing there talking to some random fan/woman and telling jokes.
I said "hi" and he said very politely "how do you do sir?"
and then, this is the cool part, I kept walking and he started walking behind me. so for about 1 block I got to see the reaction he gets from strangers all the time.
people coming towards me/him (he was a few steps behind me) would look up and realize who it was they were walking towards and would get this huge smile and as they passed he would invariably say, "thank you" or "very nice to meet you, sir"
Pretty cool. to make peoples days a little brighter just by walking around.

Last edited:
i heard about this on tv last night, but the internet was down in my area due to some pretty heavy storms.

the sad thing about this is that sometimes with this level of genius, comes demons that are very hard to fight.

I think sometimes these sorts of things snowball into a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Depression yields dark thoughts. Couple that with substance abuse and the probably inevitable darker-side of a comic's psyche, and you end up with dark, dark thoughts that only get darker until you think the world is better off without you. Flawed logic that leads to flawed justification of your actions, which leads to suicide.

Just look at the outpouring of grief over Mr Williams' death.

I imagine he somehow justified in his mind that the world would be better off without him.

It is sad, for sure.

That's just my opinion, and I am for sure not a doctor, but I imagine the spiral to destruction does follow those lines to a certain extent.

It's a shame.

Back