RIP Robin Williams

Coral I'm sure that is true...then again if I knew I was going to go out the way my mom (terminal cancer) went out I might take the same route Mr Williams did instead. If he was already chronically depressed, such a diagnosis could be the straw that broke the camels back :shrug:. In any case we will never know.

I hope your father does better and they find something that will help him soon.

I can't escape the feeling he has somehow let us down.

Harsh maybe, and possibly incorrect, but it's there just the same

I always wish I could catch somebody in time to say "Dude. Don't do this to your family. From this day forward, every memory they have of you will be bitter tears as the memory of what you did hits them again." It's not that easy, I know, but in my mind, that's about the most hurtful thing one can do to one's family.
I'm sure he went through all that mentally and decided it was worth the trade. But in about everything I do, I ask myself how this affects my family. They always come first.
RIP, Robin. I wish it hadn't ended this way. We're all gonna miss you.

What's with all of the victim blaming? You have NO idea what kind of pressures Robin Williams was under. You can speculate all you want. But you truly don't know what his situation was.

Do any of you have any idea what kind of hell it is to live with severe chronic depression? I do. Because I live with it. I feel suicidal daily. Yes, just about EVERY SINGLE DAY. I cannot control this thought no matter how hard I try. My brain is messed up. I realize that and I'm on strong medication to make living bearable. It's impossible to work and get anything done. Some days I can't even get out of bed.

Anyone that says "don't do this to your family" is speaking out of their ass and doesn't really have a clue what depression is like.

"Suicide is falling from a burning building

The so-called ‘psychotically depressed’ person who tries to kill herself doesn’t do so out of quote ‘hopelessness’ or any abstract conviction that life’s assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing. the person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be or you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains constant. the variable here is the other terror, the fire’s flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It’s not desiring the fall; it’s the terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling “Don’t!” and “Hang on!”, can understand the jump. Not really. You’d have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling." ~ David Foster Wallace

Not gonna read this whole thread as entertaining as it may be...

Most certainly it didn't help that almost all of his cash was going out the back door to sustain a couple of his ex wives,(thanks judicial system),and their lifestyles..

Sometimes new systems go too far the other way...

Reactions: Tig
Only he knew how bad it (mental/physical health) was going. I think of Muhammad Ali in these situations, and honestly, I don't know that I would want to tread that path.
May he find peace.

f91f16b6a5e79bdf91f07ac377a98f84.jpg

Back