OMG Politics, I'm over it already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that there was never any true and pure objectivity. Really no way to do that IMO. What bothers me more is the broad brushing, lack of attention to detail, lack of fact checking, and teamsmanship/flag waving that seems to be more common these days. At least with the more popular news outlets. @Flamencology and @Tig , you guys were mentioning some good journalism out there. I am interested in broadening my horizons. Can you suggest a few places to start? I already enjoy going to BBC. I also enjoy PBS and NPR, though I know that some would not view those as neutral or objective. And, I don't think they are quite as good as they used to be.

The New Yorker is famous for its fastidiousness in fact-checking; when it first ran Lawrence Wright's long piece on Scientology (which redefined litigiousness) they didn't get sued. John McPhee wrote a piece about 7 years ago on the process of fact-checking.

Of course, it is a very liberal publication.

The New York Times and The Washington Post are still good papers. The Wall Street Journal has really declined in recent years, since new ownership. The op-eds are frequently awful. But it still has some good reporting and arts coverage.

NPR is good. It really is. PBS can be, too, often enough. If you're sticking to television, that and the BBC are probably your best bets.

There are some very good UK/Irish newspapers as well.

NYT, Wapo, NPR, etc. wouldn't know how to hold the powerful accountable if Murrow descended on a cloud and stuck a giant microphone up their butt.

The Intercept is good. Democracy Now are good people if sometimes silly. Young Turks are good people if sometimes annoying and more commentary than news.

*spits*

The New Yorker is famous for its fastidiousness in fact-checking; when it first ran Lawrence Wright's long piece on Scientology (which redefined litigiousness) they didn't get sued. John McPhee wrote a piece about 7 years ago on the process of fact-checking.

Of course, it is a very liberal publication.

The New York Times and The Washington Post are still good papers. The Wall Street Journal has really declined in recent years, since new ownership. The op-eds are frequently awful. But it still has some good reporting and arts coverage.

NPR is good. It really is. PBS can be, too, often enough. If you're sticking to television, that and the BBC are probably your best bets.

There are some very good UK/Irish newspapers as well.
I mostly am looking on the internet, and internet versions of newspapers, etc. That is where I pick up PBS and NPR. I agree that they are still pretty good. Just sometimes not as good as I remembered. Also, the local Boise Public Radio newscaster has some awful inflection habits they must teach at some newscaster school. but that has little to do with content, and is just annoying. I will see about getting an internet subscription to the NYT or the Washington Post. And continue to enjoy BBC.

NYT, Wapo, NPR, etc. wouldn't know how to hold the powerful accountable if Murrow descended on a cloud and stuck a giant microphone up their butt.

The Intercept is good. Democracy Now are good people if sometimes silly. Young Turks are good people if sometimes annoying and more commentary than news.

*spits*
I also check out what those guys have to say. But also consider the agenda. At least I get some different points of view by so doing. I also like to try to find some conservative news sources that actually think and report critically. (Can't think of any really good ones now. A long time ago, I used to like to read George Will for conservative opinions that were not just yelling. Less so anymore). I may almost always disagree, but at least I consider different points of view. It tends to help me think things out from all sides.

I also check out what those guys have to say. But also consider the agenda. At least I get some different points of view by so doing. I also like to try to find some conservative news sources that actually think and report critically. (Can't think of any really good ones now. A long time ago, I used to like to read George Will for conservative opinions that were not just yelling. Less so anymore). I may almost always disagree, but at least I consider different points of view. It tends to help me think things out from all sides.

Yeah, you can't avoid Fox News if you want to have any kind of sense of that "pulse" or warped logic.

Yeah, you can't avoid Fox News if you want to have any kind of sense of that "pulse" or warped logic.
arrghh! But I can hardly stand it! And there does not seem to BE any logic. Just ranting. I once complained to a hotel manager during the "free breakfast" that all six of their TVs were blasting that junk, and not one other station from any other source. She turned the local news or something on on one of the many screens for me.

If I have a complaint with bias it's the stories a given outlet decides to cover rather than the viewpoint. If Bernie had not been covered as an afterthought, if at all, well after he was contending, things would be different.

arrghh! But I can hardly stand it! And there does not seem to BE any logic. Just ranting. I once complained to a hotel manager during the "free breakfast" that all six of their TVs were blasting that junk, and not one other station from any other source. She turned the local news or something on on one of the many screens for me.

I agree. But if you want to understand the mindset of that viewership/audience... Or why Trump/Cruz/Kasich supporter exist...

09c6cc89332bee18f4e5c4b792d974d7.jpg

Politics break.

9e97302723dfb1ab417b9fdb6e33ba19.jpg

those damn yellow flowers.....they are SO liberal. they think they're so great...."i'm the color of the sun and warmth...." blah blah blah.
come on over here, yellow flower......i've got some round up for ya.
:grin:
You didn't notice in the first photograph the dark shadow of the Trump campaign and his followers looming toward the warm and sunny but naïve yellow flowers.

(Arrow leaf balsam root, btw).

You didn't notice in the first photograph the dark shadow of the Trump campaign and his followers looming toward the warm and sunny but naïve yellow flowers.

(Arrow leaf balsam root, btw).
we need to build a fence to keep those damn yellow flowers out. rolleyes1

btw.....are those flowers or greens edible? or would they be just too bitter?

They were Bernie supporters. Thus the bitterness.
ummm.....i thought YOU were a Bernie supporter......??
i can understand the disappointment of Bernie and his folks. and since he's not part of the mainstream machine, his was an uphill battle from jump street.
BUT.....he REALLY should have started a LOT sooner. in fact.....he should have started 2 years ago. he might have had a chance, then.
IMO.
same goes for Kasich
they both should have got out there way ahead and got their face and name and 'brand' in people's minds early.

ummm.....i thought YOU were a Bernie supporter......??
i can understand the disappointment of Bernie and his folks. and since he's not part of the mainstream machine, his was an uphill battle from jump street.
BUT.....he REALLY should have started a LOT sooner. in fact.....he should have started 2 years ago. he might have had a chance, then.
IMO.
same goes for Kasich
they both should have got out there way ahead and got their face and name and 'brand' in people's minds early.
I am. And I do feel a bit bitter. I do not like the HRC campaign smugness, nor lack of effort in addressing the concerns of a large portion of her political party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back