NOS Gretsch Astro Jet Bodies

Rick 381

Boob Enthusiast
There's a guy in Nashville trying to get rid of a couple of dozen original 60's Gretsch Astro Jet bodies. The story goes, He had around 500 bodies at one point. both Astro Jet's and Corvette bodies that he sold for $100. each. Genuine Honduran Mahogany bodies made in the Brooklyn Gretsch Factory in the mid Sixties. No Necks... You have to have your own made. Tut Taylor bought all these bodies when Gretsch moved from Brooklyn to Arkansas in the early `70's. They had no designs on building these two models any longer. But Tut stored them and never did anything with them and someone found them a few years back and has been selling them off. They were stored in a barn outside of Nashville.

Now the guy is down to 3 dozen or so and wants to get rid of them. I wonder if it would be worth the effort to get one and try to do something with it. Maybe not make an Astro Jet copy. Maybe something with a different neck and control layout? What do you guys think?

00101_iemitkZQ0Ee_600x450.jpg

http://nashville.craigslist.org/msg/4994784663.html

The original,

86273.01.jpg

I think damn!

Makes you wonder how many of these type things are out there.
Some guy over here tracked down the old stocks of Höfner and makes nos guitars from over 200 guitars that were never built hanging around in some guys storeroom.

We should do a forum purchase and do a bunch of builds.

I'd be all over that deal except for the ability to go get them.
But then I couldn't actually do anything with 24 guitar bodies. I could do something with two, though.

Heck, If someone here picks up that pile and sells them to forum members at cost plus shipping, I'd pay for four to get two shipped to me. So, whoever takes it on gets two bodies for free just for taking on the job of buying them and distributing them to other members. You'd also have to front the 399, but if you see enough interest from members, you'd know you'd be covered. Like a group buy sort of deal.

There's been some cool builds done with those over on Gretsch Talk.
I almost got one for my short scale bass build but since I don't have a router I got something routed for a bolt on neck instead.

Yep, there are also some people with ongoing Astrojet projects on the Gretsch Discussion Pages who have bought those bodies. I just don't know if I could get into an Astrojet. I played an Astrojet a few years ago, and it didn't do much for me.

We should do a forum purchase and do a bunch of builds.

I'd be all over that deal except for the ability to go get them.
But then I couldn't actually do anything with 24 guitar bodies. I could do something with two, though.

Heck, If someone here picks up that pile and sells them to forum members at cost plus shipping, I'd pay for four to get two shipped to me. So, whoever takes it on gets two bodies for free just for taking on the job of buying them and distributing them to other members. You'd also have to front the 399, but if you see enough interest from members, you'd know you'd be covered. Like a group buy sort of deal.

I'd be in for a couple if that happened.

Tentatively, I would be in too, but it would be insane. I would have to get a neck for it. Not to mention everything else. I have a very handy friend who made a tele from scratch.

Tentatively, I would be in too, but it would be insane. I would have to get a neck for it. Not to mention everything else. I have a very handy friend who made a tele from scratch.
yeah, as cool as I think it'd be, I think sourcing the neck would negate any value.

Back