NOS Gretsch Astro Jet Bodies

This is interesting and is actually getting very good reviews. The Xtrem by GFS.
image.jpg

I fear that in my application, I'd have this problem.
image.jpg

Also known as Epiphone Wildkat Syndrome.

The tailpiece version.

image.jpg

The Gotoh wraparound.
image.jpg

Although one of the screws may hit mostly air.
This outlines the footprint of that tailpiece. Same problem I have with all the tail pieces.

image.jpg

Yikes, that really was made to be trapeze only I guess. Good luck with that.

As far as the baritone idea goes, I would later be contantly curious as to how good of a normal guitar I could have achieved with that Honduran. As a baritone it will always be a niche guitar. Just my $0.02.

I feel like my avatar. I have tracked down how they did the vibrato.

On my blank, you can see the back bevel follows the curve of the tail.
image.jpg

But this blank shows how they fiddled with the bevel to make a flat spot for the Burns to sit on.
image.jpg

Check this one out. This may be the coolest of all the Astro Jet projects I've seen.

image.jpg

Looks like he added a new top and made it a rear route for the controls.

Definitely looks like a new top on there. The top bevels go in further due to the added thickness I guess. That looks really nice.

I've been reshaping the body kinda based on the above pics. I'm not going to re-top it but the diminished size of the humpback and the rounding off of the weird butt are helping.

The big news is that my buddy just called me from Mexico. He has scored some serious old Honduran mahogany for the neck and what sounds like some old Honduran rosewood for the fretboard. I should have it in a week or two.

Back