NOS Gretsch Astro Jet Bodies

That's some bizarre shit.

You think there was LSD involved in this design? Lol

The colors are very nice. I haven't worked mahogany in a long time. It feels like working pine after all the walnut I've been cutting on.

image.jpg

Tooling marks. Chips.
It's right out of the jigs. No finishing work has been done at all. It's neat seeing what kind of tooling they used.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I'd keep it as original and "Gretschy" as possible if it was me. Especially if I had the skills to do a set neck.
You can get FMC Filtertrons on eBay for half the price of TV Jones. They are the real deal original equipment on most Pro Line models. Many people prefer them over the TV Classics.

I'd keep it as original and "Gretschy" as possible if it was me. Especially if I had the skills to do a set neck.
You can get FMC Filtertrons on eBay for half the price of TV Jones. They are the real deal original equipment on most Pro Line models. Many people prefer them over the TV Classics.

That's the way I'm headed.
Finding a bridge and tailpiece is proving to be difficult, though.

Englishman over on Gretsch Talk used a wrap around brass
GFS Slick bridge to match the brass pickguard he made.

You can get "G Cut" trapezes but they are kinda pricy. They come in long (for hollow bodies) or short (for Jets). Also the Caddilac model but prices on those are out of sight.
If you have any metal working capability you could prob mnf something. Or a wooden one with a G inlay would look nice.

I think a standard tunomatic set up would also look fine. Gretsch does use those on some Electromatics

Whatever you do, keep that beautiful slab of mahogany!

Last edited:
Just craft them from a deer pelvis or some shit. You know, how you do.

It may come to that.

Englishman over on Gretsch Talk used a wrap around brass
GFS Slick bridge to match the brass pickguard he made.

You can get "G Cut" trapezes but they are kinda pricy. They come in long (for hollow bodies) or short (for Jets). Also the Caddilac model but prices on those are out of sight.
If you have any metal working capability you could prob mnf something. Or a wooden one with a G inlay would look nice.

I think a standard tunomatic set up would also look fine. Gretsch does use those on some Electromatics

Whatever you do, keep that beautiful slab of mahogany!

I saw the wraparound and it would work, though no terribly Gretsch-like.
The three main problems are the beveled top, the offset rear end and the control cavity.
The control cavity prevents use of a stop tailpiece like a tune-o-matic or a Bigsby b5.
The bevel and sloped butt prevent use of a b6 or a trapeze.

The Schaller Les Trem looks like a good option but is very spendy.

It may come to that.

I saw the wraparound and it would work, though no terribly Gretsch-like.
The three main problems are the beveled top, the offset rear end and the control cavity.
The control cavity prevents use of a stop tailpiece like a tune-o-matic or a Bigsby b5.
The bevel and sloped butt prevent use of a b6 or a trapeze.

The Schaller Les Trem looks like a good option but is very spendy.
it's the Oklahoma way! :thu:

Back