Achtung! New Star Trek TV show on the way

star-trek-red-shirt.jpg

^^^ Hopefully the new one will have her!

And, plus - Summer Glau as "The Messed-Up Chick."

:old:really? I thought for sure it was halfway through the series as an effort to give it new life. :facepalm:

Not just you. I watched the whole damn thing for the first time a few months ago. I have no memory of it but I apparently saw the pilot when it originally aired, because it was familiar to me. I swear there were 5-10 really good episodes and 160 lame ones. You'd have to be on drugs or Scottish to enjoy that show. :embarrassed:

Not just you. I watched the whole damn thing for the first time a few months ago. I have no memory of it but I apparently saw the pilot when it originally aired, because it was familiar to me. I swear there were 5-10 really good episodes and 160 lame ones. You'd have to be on drugs or Scottish to enjoy that show. :embarrassed:

I must have been thinking about those few good episodes as being first, then the 160 lame ones.

Jews routinely get the most grotesque, stereotypical representations in SciFi (Remember Watto in Star Wars, episode 1? That depiction would not have been out of place in the pages of Der Sturmer).

I’m surprised Spielberg didn’t say something to George about that before the film got released. But maybe after Temple of Doom Spielberg keeps quiet about other people putting racist shit in movies.

Or both :embarrassed:

More than halfway into the fourth season of DS9. I don't think I'll ever like anything as much as TNG but the acting and writing are a bajillion times better than Voyager and it's throwing out eerily prescient stuff left and right.

I liked Deep Space 9. It took a few seasons to get going. Voyager not so much. Enterprise wasn't bad.

Watching Voyager now on Netflix. It isn't great,but watchable. Of course Seven of Nine makes watching it easier.

I'm looking forward to a new Star Trek TV show. All of the previous shows had bright points and a lot of lame content, and people can argue about which was the best and the worst forever. I think they all were watchable shows, had good production quality for their respective time period, and each represented a rare bit of science fiction on television.

All the series have their ups and downs. My take:

TOS: Great premise, though by today's standards it's cheap and cheesy, but the philosophy of Roddenbery was very strong and what drove the series.
TNG: Weak first season or two, but really hit its stride after that and stayed strong until the end. Again, the spirit of Roddenbery's ideas were strong in the series.
Voyager: It had an interesting premise, interesting characters, and a number of good episodes, but it was marred by really sloppy writing, continuity problems, and just plain hackishness in both storytelling and the scifi elementss.
DS9: I never really got into this one, but it's definitely a show more for hardcore fans, due to its heavy political focus.
Enterprise: I always feel in the minority, but I really like it. It was a fresh take on the franchise, especially after TNG/Voyager/DS9 seemed to closely related. It nodded to things in the other series without being too fanboy about it (which is a complaint I have about the recent movies). It was really a pioneer western in space, which was very different from the other series, and perhaps why many people didn't connect to it. Also, for us guitarists, the ships navigator was played by Wes Montgomery's grandson.
Movies: I'm happy to see the series revived, and they've been fun, although they just seem like Hollywood adventure movies (and good ones, at that), and are lacking the Roddenberry philosophy of mankind using technology to usher in a future of peace, hope, and understanding. I was hoping this would lead to a new series further down the line, which now is indeed happening, so that it may return to the philosophical outlook of TOS and TNG.

Back