Achtung! New Star Trek TV show on the way

Love the original cast movies and TNG. Dig the original but it can get pretty dated, of course. Can't get past Avery Brooks' incredibly bizarre acting so I've only seen two episodes of DS9. I'll probably try harder because it has a good rep.

Everything else is mediocre to abysmal, and much of it is totally antithetical to the spirit of Trek and/or contemptuous of some fairly major points of continuity.

Last edited:
Love the original cast movies and TNG. Dig the original but it can get pretty dated, of course. Can't get past Avery Brooks' incredibly bizarre acting so I've only seen two episodes of DS9. I'll probably try harder because it has a good rep.

I only understood where Brooks was coming from after seeing him play Othello and Tamburlaine on stage. Brooks is a crazy (literally, watch interviews) jazz man with an oversized personality. For some weird reason the producers built the whole show around his ability to project intensity on stage in front of a thousand people. Like bitter ales, it’s an acquired taste. Also, you won’t miss much if you skip all of the filler episodes and only watch the big story arc. Particularly the Ferengi episodes, which are mostly just “what were they thinking” plots that reek of greedy anti-semitic stereotypes.

So I recently just finished TNG, which was the first and only Star Trek I watched (other than one of the Abrams films on Netflix shortly after finishing the series).

Is the rest of it really garbage? All the movies too? Nothing else worth watching? I'm totally fine if the answer is 'yes'. Saves me the time and trouble.

BTW, what is CBS All Access? Is it a pay service? What's a CBS?

DS9 gets really good but there are some seriously ropey episodes early on (and terrible acting throughout). Voyager gets a lot of hate but I really liked it, probably my favourite Trek. There are some superb episodes around The Borg in later seasons. Enterprise was OK. I never fully got into it but have been meaning to give it a rewatch.

All Star Trek shows take a couple of seasons to get into their stride. You just have to power through them. Or check online for lists of what episodes to avoid.

Ive watched them all! Everything. I think DS9 was the weakest, boring at times, but even then Id rather watch that then yet another load of bollocks about some bullshit.

Let the writers use their imaginations to keep us entertained. Im looking forward to it. I hope its some kind of exploration mission like the original series and TNG plus Voyager. Its what we are good at as humans I think. Basically we're nosy bastards.

I only understood where Brooks was coming from after seeing him play Othello and Tamburlaine on stage. Brooks is a crazy (literally, watch interviews) jazz man with an oversized personality. For some weird reason the producers built the whole show around his ability to project intensity on stage in front of a thousand people. Like bitter ales, it’s an acquired taste. Also, you won’t miss much if you skip all of the filler episodes and only watch the big story arc. Particularly the Ferengi episodes, which are mostly just “what were they thinking” plots that reek of greedy anti-semitic stereotypes.

I'm aware of all that. Still, it's like he's trying and failing to imitate a human being.

it would be a short clip. :grin:

Happened quite a bit, actually. After everything other option, of course.

I've been rewatching it and something that happens almost every single episode is somebody is talking to somebody else in a room, person goes to leave, Picard or whoever lets them get to the door and then says their name, yada yada yada. Never fails. That or the person stops at the door without prompting, yada yada yada.

Happened quite a bit, actually. After everything other option, of course.

I've been rewatching it and something that happens almost every single episode is somebody is talking to somebody else in a room, person goes to leave, Picard or whoever lets them get to the door and then says their name, yada yada yada. Never fails. That or the person stops at the door without prompting, yada yada yada.
yep, I know exactly what you're talking about.

but have you noticed this?

Reactions: Tig
1427d3c19888fee33e64be94cc0da7af.jpg

3redshirt.png

star-trek-red-shirt.jpg

Basically, if you're channel surfing and you see any episode of any Star Trek series or movie, you stop surfing, and watch.

Particularly the Ferengi episodes, which are mostly just “what were they thinking” plots that reek of greedy anti-semitic stereotypes.

Jews routinely get the most grotesque, stereotypical representations in SciFi (Remember Watto in Star Wars, episode 1? That depiction would not have been out of place in the pages of Der Sturmer).

I was never a fan of TNG. But then i grew up with the Original Series. I still like watching it. Mrs F play a game to see who can identify the episode the fastest.

I enjoyed Voyager until they decided to jump the ship millions of light years from home. never really watched DS9

not much of a fan of the rebooted Star Trek movies.

I was never a fan of TNG. But then i grew up with the Original Series. I still like watching it. Mrs F play a game to see who can identify the episode the fastest.

I enjoyed Voyager until they decided to jump the ship millions of light years from home. never really watched DS9

not much of a fan of the rebooted Star Trek movies.

That was the first episode. I agree that's when it began to suck, though.

Back