My first "jazz jam".

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
As most of you know I'm heading back to school to get my Jazz Performance degree in the fall. Since I play as much jazz as Ace Frehley I've been working hard to get up to speed before I have to test into the program since I already have an A.A. degree in music and would rather not have to retake classes that I've already done or relearn material I should know at this point in my life. My friend Tyler (who just graduated from the school I'm going to with his Masters in Jazz Performance) let me know that he is in the house band for a new open jam up in La Habra and the band is made up of CSUF students, alumni and current faculty so it would be a good thing for me to come play at.

I had the final for my one G.E. class that was required to transfer last night as well so after that was done I headed over there with my guitar and amp. I picked up an amp early than I was planning just to have something to play through last night since I figured they wouldn't have a guitar backline like a blues jam would.

13247914_10154262926302425_3976200515302234076_o.jpg

When I got there they had a Dixieland thing going on which was pretty cool. I got the feeling that it was one of the CSUF ensembles getting out into the world:

13307253_10154263554662425_12510951024951064_n.jpg

All I will say about the amp is that it sounded great at lower volumes but wasn't what I wanted to hear on stage in a large room so it's going back today and I've already ordered the version with the bigger speaker (which I found on sale last night a 1am).

When I got on stage they started with a singer doing "Besame Mucho" which I wasn't expecting. The bassist had the changes on his iPad so I just followed along. They asked me to call the next tune so I called "Billies Bounce" which is a Charlie Parker melody over an F blues. I figured I would just call tunes I've been memorizing for my placement test so that I could get an opportunity to pay them with real musicians. It started a little quicker than I was expecting and I fat fingered the melody a bit but the solo went OK. Then another singer got up and we played a couple of ballads with him that I either comped on or stayed out of the pianists' way. Next tune was "Blue Bossa" (yes, I'm hitting all of the freshman college songs this week) followed by "Canteloupe Island" and those went very well and then I sang "Everyday I've got the Blues" but over Bb jazz blues changes with all of the ii V's put in. I was very much in my comfort zone for that one and I think folks were surprised that I sang (this is a very different community of musicians and no one knows me except for Tyler). By that point our buddy Martin showed up from his gig in San Bernadino and we played "Days of Wine and Roses" to end the night.

All in all I was happy with my playing at this stage in my jazz studies. Obviously I had a ton to learn but once I got over the jitters on "Billies Bounce" I was able to settle down and make some music. I've had a week of my students gushing over the fun they had at their recital on Sunday and funny enough I felt the same way about last nights jam.

After everyone broke down their gear the piano player asked me for my card and we got to talking a bit...when he found out that I would be attending CSUF in the fall he told me that he would most likely be my music theory professor for at least a class or two and he gave me some advice about how to prepare for the transfer exam. While I had 5 semesters of music theory and composition up to Counterpoint, much of the composition material I've forgotten so one of my studies this summer will be to brush up on that.

All in all it was a productive evening that ended in a (not cardiologist approved) midnight stop at our favorite taqueria:

13237647_10208321945319260_905149243826793444_n.jpg

Anyway, for those of you who made it this far thanks for reading my mundane ranting but it felt good to type it all out before I started practicing this morning. Gives me a little context for the work. :)

Right on Mark. Is it bad that I have never heard of any of those songs but Besame Mucho?
Nope. The are all classic standard tunes but no one listens to jazz anymore. If you had grown up in the 50's or 60's you probably would have knows a few tunes from movies or musicals or whatever. They even had jazz on TV back then. These days the music is largely forgotten by the public. Kind of sad that Jazz and Blues are two of the major contributions this country has made to world music and neither of them are really taught in schools or even known about by most Americans. Musicians that I know in both genres have to travel to Europe and Asia to make a living unless they teach at the University level. And even that is a shitty standard of living for most except tenured professors.

As scheduled for the summer. They are just skipping next week though because Tyler and the bassist (Andrew) have another gig.

Bummer for me as I have become a regular at Cirivellos where they have LB Blues every Thursday Night. A few years back I used to go to a Jazz jam up in Culver City. When the organizers changed, I stopped going.

I will see if I can make it one day pending who is playing at Cirivellos. Add to the 91 East traffic pending which part of La Habra it is in.

Last edited:
Back