My first "jazz jam".

Needs more Wes Montgomery. And Charlie Christian. I'm one of the few people who still loves and listens to jazz.
What a bunch of crap I had to quit lessons and here you are doing exactly what I wanted to do. Oh well. I'm still plugging along.
Good on ya Mark! Much success to you!

I only know that one because the Beatles covered it :embarrassed: As you can tell, I don't do jazz.

Maybe you might end up liking less-traditional types of jazz? Like Al Di Meola's muscular, guitar-heavy, world music-influenced material?

Needs more Wes Montgomery. And Charlie Christian. I'm one of the few people who still loves and listens to jazz.
What a bunch of crap I had to quit lessons and here you are doing exactly what I wanted to do. Oh well. I'm still plugging along.
That stuff is on the list too. I transcribed Rose Room a month or so ago.

And yeah, it's a bummer but as long as you keep playing that's all that matters.

Maybe you might end up liking less-traditional types of jazz? Like Al Di Meola's muscular, guitar-heavy, world music-influenced material?

It's not that I don't like jazz, my wife listens to it (her dad is a jazz saxophonist) and I like some of what I hear, but it just isn't my thing. And I definitely wouldn't know any songs by name.

Also Kenny Burrell, Herb Ellis, Jim Hall, Barney Kessell et al.

That's funny as it's the only song I don't know by title...

Okay not familiar with it by ear either.
Share the songlist

Standard Tune List

For juries, students must memorize at least 5 tunes of their choice each semester.

First Year (at 193 level)

1st Semester

Now’s the Time

Cousin Mary

Mack the Knife

Doxy

Autumn Leaves

So What/Impressions

Take the “A” Train

2nd Semester

In a Mellotone

I Got Rhythm

Beautiful Love

All Of Me

Summertime

Mr. P.C.

My Funny Valentine

-----------------------------

Second year (at 293)

1st Semester

Blue Bossa

I Hear A Rhapsody

There Is No Greater Love

There Will Never Be Another You

All Blues

Tenor Madness

Satin Doll

Misty

2nd Semester

I Love You

Just Friends

Days of Wine and Roses

Four

In a Sentimental Mood

Green Dolphin St.

Billie’s Bounce

All The Things You Are

------------------------------------

Third year (at 393)

1st Semester

Body and Soul

Have you Met Miss Jones

Au Privave

Stella by Starlight

Lazy Bird

Night and Day

Woody'n'you

2nd Semester

Blues for Alice * again

Girl from Ipanema

Cherokee

I'll Remember April

Airegin

Round Midnight *

Moment's Notice *

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fourth year (493)

Yes Or No *

Nica's Dream

Inner Urge *

Giant Steps *

Countdown

ESP *

Lush Life

Learn the lyrics. That's my tip.
I've been buying all of the classic versions of each song an making playlists on my phone to listen in the car or when I'm working around the house. If there is a good vocal version I get that too. Since I still occasionally play weddings Ive been trying to learn the words to a handful of them to build that repertoire as well. The better I learn the vocal the better I am able to make the melody musical.

Learn the lyrics. That's my tip.

That is what I have been doing.

I've been buying all of the classic versions of each song an making playlists on my phone to listen in the car or when I'm working around the house. If there is a good vocal version I get that too. Since I still occasionally play weddings Ive been trying to learn the words to a handful of them to build that repertoire as well. The better I learn the vocal the better I am able to make the melody musical.

Ditto!!!

The only album I have (can find) is 1979's Live At The North Sea Jazz Festival. :thu:
Any suggestions that you or @Flamencology recommend?

image.png

Also:

Sonny Rollins - The Bridge

And his duet albums with Bill Evans, Enrico Pieranunzi, Pat Metheny, and Bill Frisell

Sounds like you had a good time at the jam and got in with one of the profs as well :thu:

Not that I have the chops for it but I have been trying to learn some jazz mainly through Frank Vignola's classes on Truefire. But all those weird chords trip me up....why can't they just do some power chords every once in a while :tongue: :idea:

Back