My first "jazz jam".

Sounds like you had a good time at the jam and got in with one of the profs as well :thu:

Not that I have the chops for it but I have been trying to learn some jazz mainly through Frank Vignola's classes on Truefire. But all those weird chords trip me up....why can't they just do some power chords every once in a while :tongue: :idea:
I've found the chords to be the easy part. It's really just M, m, m7, dom7, m7b5, M7, dom7b5.
Yes, there are more. 9ths, etc. But the shapes are all movable and very similar. I learned 10 basic shapes and it covers 99% of the standards I've looked at and allows for myriad chord noodling.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I went on a Jim Hall kick thanks to this thread. Listened for 5 hours straight while cooking at work today. He's so damn good!

I'm excited to hear where this goes for you Mark. Looking forward to some demos!

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the old school jazz guitarists, for the most part. But Hall was exceptional. And, for me, head and shoulders above Herb Ellis, Kessell, etc.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the old school jazz guitarists, for the most part. But Hall was exceptional. And, for me, head and shoulders above Herb Ellis, Kessell, etc.
I really want to like more of them, but outside of Hall, Oscar Moore, Wes and Charlie Christian I'm not in love with most of the guitarists of this era. Especially when you put them next to Miles, Coltrane, Bird, Rollins, Clifford Brown, Monk, and a ton of other musicians on other instruments. A lot of those guys never really transcend the guitar and much of their playing has more of a "lick" feel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I really want to like more of them, but outside of Hall, Oscar Moore, Wes and Charlie Christian I'm not in love with most of the guitarists of this era. Especially when you put them next to Miles, Coltrane, Bird, Rollins, Clifford Brown, Monk, and a ton of other musicians on other instruments. A lot of those guys never really transcend the guitar and much of their playing has more of a "lick" feel.

Totally agree. I've kind of fallen for a select few that really do the guitar parts justice. Those you listed for sure.

Well, Charlie Christian is definitely of a different era than the rest. But yeah.

I really enjoy Grant Green records - they're fun as fuck - but he's not on the same level as a pure improviser.

That said, there are a ton of jazz guitarists that I do love.

Back