MWGL Photography thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few from last month that I don't think I ever posted.
Jerry Douglas at the Ryman Auditorium
11004595_562156327257675_3503861437389790844_o.jpg

Derek Trucks
10515338_562156990590942_4726449737669119251_o.jpg

Susan Tedeschi
11001565_562156667257641_8531117022999930726_o.jpg

Some of you may remember that my wife got me a D3100 for Christmas. I've been busy breaking it in.

Sunset over a local frozen lake.
DSC_0137.JPG

Train station in Shanghai, China
DSC_0173.JPG

DSC_0174.JPG

Train station in Nanjing
DSC_0176.JPG

A small shrine along the road entrance to a hotel in Pattaya, Thialand
DSC_0209.NEF.jpg

The rest of these photos are from the Sanctuary of Truth in Pattaya, Thailand. It is an interesting place: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanctuary_of_Truth
DSC_0279.NEF.jpg
DSC_0320.NEF.jpg

DSC_0325.jpg

DSC_0327.NEF.jpg

DSC_0332.NEF.jpg

DSC_0335.NEF.jpg

DSC_0339.NEF.jpg

DSC_0342.NEF.jpg

DSC_0352.NEF.jpg

DSC_0359.NEF.jpg

DSC_0381.jpg

DSC_0383.NEF.jpg

DSC_0388.NEF.jpg

Pattaya beach at night
DSC_0073.jpg

Floating market, Pattaya
DSC_0008.NEF.jpg

DSC_0031.NEF.jpg

It was lunch time and we came across a food vendor in a boat. Her product smelled delicious.
DSC_0040.NEF.jpg

Upon further inspection, we decided to wait until the next food vendor
DSC_0041.NEF.jpg

DSC_0042.NEF.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

The next food vendor wasn't any more appetizing
DSC_0045.jpg

BTW, is anyone on here using GIMP for doing their photo editing? From what I remember, Lightroom seems to be the MWGL forum favorite. I've heard a lot of good things about GIMP, but every time I've tried to use it, I get intimidated and go running back to Picasa.

My kids swear by PhotoShop Elements, but I don't hear anyone else talking about it.

On a side note, what do you all use yo organize your photos? So far, Picasa seems to be the best thin I've found for organizing photos.

You guys gettin' paid for this shit? Because Awesome!
Especially you, Shawn. Marketable Rock Photojournalism and all.

I get paid sometimes. Other times it's just for free access to shows. I did get paid for the Tedeschi Trucks stuff, but I had to write some articles and run a ticket giveaway, too.

Thanks Jaxn. I've always been in awe of your work - encouraging words from you mean a lot!

Thanks Jaxn. I've always been in awe of your work - encouraging words from you mean a lot!
Thank you. If you got some powerful editing software like Lightroom and spent half an hour watching YouTube tutorials, you'd learn most of my tricks right away.

It's hard to say exact percentages, but I believe that a good photo is almost equal parts taking and editing the shot. There are many exceptions to that rule, but for the bulk of my good stuff and the stuff of people I follow currently, that's the case. One clear exception would be Ken Lee's masterful works. But he is no mortal man.

I use GIMP, with the UFRaw plugin. Oh, and Hugin panorama tools...
alhambra_1.jpg

... all excellent tools, and all FREE!

I'm in the process of switching to Lightroom. I need to spend some time with the tutorials.

I get a headache just thinking about it... :tongue:

I just can't get into LR. As a photo managing tool, maybe, as a photo editing tool..not so much. I have found Adobes Bridge to be pretty good, but again, I have been using PM so long it would disrupt my deadline workflow. And that's not good.

Did you use any resources to learn GIMP?

Time. Quite a lot of time was involved. :)
Seriously... no. I wouldn't call myself a GIMP expert, but I know a few small bits of it very well indeed. Having come to it from using other image-editing tools (Photoshop,Paintshop) I already knew what I wanted to do, and it was largely a question of poking around in the GUI and online help to find where the functionality that I wanted lives.

Photo-management tools: never have found one that I can get on with, so I use a homebrew method which operates with varying degrees of efficiency on different parts of my 40-odd year old archive. :shrug:

I'm starting to think GIMP isn't an option for me. I quickly figured out that GIMP doesn't handle Nikon raw files natively, and the plugin that everyone uses for that function doesn't work with the latest version of GIMP.

It also sounds like using GIMP negates the main advantage of raw files: dynamic range. You have to convert the 12 or 14 bits of pixel color information from the raw file down to 8 bits for GIMP to handle it (future version of GIMP are going to use more bits).

From what I've seen, people who use GIMP with raw files first use something like RawTherapy to correct the color, exposure, and white balance. Then they export to jpg (or tif) and do composition editing in GIMP. Sounds too much like work to me.

I'm starting to think GIMP isn't an option for me. I quickly figured out that GIMP doesn't handle Nikon raw files natively, and the plugin that everyone uses for that function doesn't work with the latest version of GIMP.

It also sounds like using GIMP negates the main advantage of raw files: dynamic range. You have to convert the 12 or 14 bits of pixel color information from the raw file down to 8 bits for GIMP to handle it (future version of GIMP are going to use more bits).

From what I've seen, people who use GIMP with raw files first use something like RawTherapy to correct the color, exposure, and white balance. Then they export to jpg (or tif) and do composition editing in GIMP. Sounds too much like work to me.

You're right. That's a lot of work for every image.

I do 99% of my editing in Lightroom and reserve Photoshop for the heavy lifting like merging two photos. I have to export to a JPG or TIFF to do the Photoshop work, but by then the exposure and color stuff is already straightened out. And that's just the 1% of my shots that need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back