Hot or Not? MGK Twangcaster Pine Barncaster

Getting back to the guitars.

First one - Like the pine body and love the Volume and Tone knobs. Not a fan of the tin scratchplate plus I like 22/24 frets on my necks. If it was a 22 fret machine, knowing I'd be dropping a new scratchplate on it would not be a deal breaker.

Second one - The relicing marks are a bit much for me, particularly on the white bit.

Both - I'd drop a 6 saddle bridge on both as I'm not a fan of the three saddle ashtray types. Again given the purchase prices, not a deal breaker.
I love ashtray bridges. Seriously, the ONLY thing I would change is the pickguard, and only because of the big brown rust spot. The material is fine, patina and all.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

im more turned off by the way the pickguard does not fit the body well at all than the poop stains on it.
this probably means youre gonna have to get a guard cut specifically for this body
if a US spec guard fits so poorly.

Oh, TDPRI... I remember when you weren't a fascist organization...

It was also reduced from 92 replies to 84...:messedup:

edit: Make that 83 replies. I posted some concerns I had about a tele he has listed on ebay being nothing more than a modified/rebranded Squier Affinity and it was also removed. I'm not trying to pick on Mike Gee here as most of his creations are pretty cool in my book. I do take issue with this one though. He claimed he used an Affinity body as a template to cut this body. However, the finish color is identical other than the obvious dulling and relicing. The Affinity's have a darker "butterscotch" finish than what you would get on a CV '50s BSB or AV52, etc. Wouldn't it make sense if you were building from a raw body to more closely match the higher end AV52 color vs. the finish on a Squier Affinity?

Here's the auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MGK-Vintage...s-/390933629359?pt=Guitar&hash=item5b0575c9af

His rebranded guitar:

My Affinity Tele prior to my mods:

Last edited:
here is a Chibson

so he's also modding counterfeit guitars?
kind of seems like it
trekwtf.jpg

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

One thing's for sure. At some point, some asshole is going to hold that out as a Gibson, and some idiot is going to be angry.

Back