Is this the ideal home amp?

@GDSmithTX

I put in a really old old Sovtek that I had lying around. It sounded the best out of about 10 different tubes that I had. Even better than a NOS Mullard that I have and some NOS 7025. The Mullard and the Sovtek were about equal but the Sovtek got rid of more of that sizzle on the top end. Kind of like when the presence control is wound up. I do not like that sizzle at all. The Mullard and the 7024 were a little smoother than the Sovtek. The worst was a ruby. The JJ in mine was OK enough (although a little noisy) but I knew it could be sweetened a little.

I did get to plug it from the effects send into the return of a 100w model 1959-like EL34 powered cheapo clone that I have and it went from pretty good to absolutely the best rock tone I've ever heard. No joke. It also sounds killer going into the front end of that amp also. It's a keeper at this point.

@GDSmithTX

I put in a really old old Sovtek that I had lying around. It sounded the best out of about 10 different tubes that I had. Even better than a NOS Mullard that I have and some NOS 7025. The Mullard and the Sovtek were about equal but the Sovtek got rid of more of that sizzle on the top end. Kind of like when the presence control is wound up. I do not like that sizzle at all. The Mullard and the 7024 were a little smoother than the Sovtek. The worst was a ruby. The JJ in mine was OK enough (although a little noisy) but I knew it could be sweetened a little.

I did get to plug it from the effects send into the return of a 100w model 1959-like EL34 powered cheapo clone that I have and it went from pretty good to absolutely the best rock tone I've ever heard. No joke. It also sounds killer going into the front end of that amp also. It's a keeper at this point.

Excellent!

Tell me a little more about the signal chain you connected it to this other amp with, if you would please. The effects send of the Micro Dark goes into the effects return of your 100w amp (head? combo?)? Are there any "gotcha" type drawbacks of this type of arrangement?

Yes, effects send into the return of the 100w. Also, effects send into the front of the amp worked really well also on the 100w. I tried a couple of other amps that I have and it didn't work as well but I was only able to go in the front of those. I can't think of a drawback. If you are worried about leaving the solid state amp without a load, just plug in some headphones. Turn the Micro Dark on first so that there isn't a 100 watt thump :)

Back