Is this the ideal home amp?

bsman

b00b
jc-22_F_gal.jpg

I’ve not played through a Roland before, but I hear only good about their JC series (Thanks, @OGG!) and figure this might be just the option for my music room. I’m looking for a small amp to put on the metal shelves that currently hold my Kustom 5w tube head and 112 cab. I like the fact that it’s short, and has the controls in front. I figure that if it delivers the clean sound JCs are known for I can hook it up to the pedalboard for any other flavors I require. I know that 30 ss watts aren’t gonna be enough for gigging, but I don’t anticipate any gigs upcoming anyway. What’s the verdict? Perfect home amp, or expensive toy?

I haven't tried the 22 yet, but as far as I understand, it's the same circuitry platform as the 40 just smaller and less powerful. Having played the 40, I can tell you it's a legit JC. It has all of the characteristics of the original 120s that made them famous, plus an actually usable distortion circuit and improved in/out routing options along with a headphone jack. The only JC elements missing are the ridiculous weight and even more ridiculous volume levels.

There are times when my 77s are too loud. I've done many gigs with the 55 with no problem keeping up with everyone else.

Even the 40 I played through could reach very uncomfortable volume levels without any break up or degradation in tone. I would imagine the 22 would perfectly suit your needs.

I haven't tried the 22 yet, but as far as I understand, it's the same circuitry platform as the 40 just smaller and less powerful. Having played the 40, I can tell you it's a legit JC. It has all of the characteristics of the original 120s that made them famous, plus an actually usable distortion circuit and improved in/out routing options along with a headphone jack. The only JC elements missing are the ridiculous weight and even more ridiculous volume levels.

There are times when my 77s are too loud. I've done many gigs with the 55 with no problem keeping up with everyone else.

Even the 40 I played through could reach very uncomfortable volume levels without any break up or degradation in tone. I would imagine the 22 would perfectly suit your needs.
Do the JC's take pedals well?

In my experience, yes and no with dirt. you really have to find the right dirt pedal or you end up sounding like Dan and Mick playing the big muff through the Twin. When you find the right one, it sounds great. Mitch Easter could not believe my brother in law’s old demo was cut on a JC 120. He thought the dirt was a Marshall.

SS and class D amps have come a long way as far as volume goes. I have a Kustom 22Guage that is ridiculously loud for a 16 watt SS amp. Saw a video yesterday where Chappers took the 50 what Katana to practice with a loud rhythm section and was comfortable at half volume.

SS amps get a bad rap from the old days where manufacturers gave them shit components, output transformers and inefficient speakers to save money.

Absolutely.

They are as transparent as anything out there with the chorus and reverb switched off. They only impart their "color" when the onboard effects are on, and that's not a bad thing unless you hate America, puppies, the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue.

They'll tell you honestly just how good or bad your pedals actually sound. When I put that Steve Vai VLD1 Legacy Drive in front of my 77, it's hilariously vicious. :)

The 22s seem to get rave reviews for their size.

I recently played a 40 - yep, it's a Roland JC alright :wink: :thu:

Reactions: OGG
I’m kind of on an amp quest and keep coming back to this.

And this.

In reality, I’ll probably not buy anything. But both would be killer for home (or gig) use.

Can’t help on the JC22. A killer home use pedal platform for cheap is the Ibanez TSA15 in either head or combo.

I’m kind of on an amp quest and keep coming back to this.

And this.

In reality, I’ll probably not buy anything. But both would be killer for home (or gig) use.

Can’t help on the JC22. A killer home use pedal platform for cheap is the Ibanez TSA15 in either head or combo.

Having had my Victory (V30) for about 2-3 years now, I'm an absolute fanboy of their stuff. Really BAD GAS for the Sheriff 22 at the moment. :embarrassed:
Their stuff is really well built btw, and fantastic customer service as far as I can tell.

Lots of good options out there these days for home use really. I dig having something small that works well for both home, recording and stage use. :)

I have reconfigured all my amps for apartment living over the past 4 years. I have a Roland Micro Cube, 6 watt VHT, 5 watt Blackstar, 1 watt and 5 watt Marshalls, Crate VC 2110, Fender Champ and Super Champ along with various attenuators. My favorite at the moment is the 50 watt Kustom Defender running through a Hot Plate. Lots of good low powered amps to choose from. YMMV

Having had my Victory (V30) for about 2-3 years now, I'm an absolute fanboy of their stuff. Really BAD GAS for the Sheriff 22 at the moment. :embarrassed:
Their stuff is really well built btw, and fantastic customer service as far as I can tell.

Lots of good options out there these days for home use really. I dig having something small that works well for both home, recording and stage use. :)

@Dexter Inferno both sheriffs are also on my radar. There’s finally a couple US distributors for Victory. The 44 is killer. Lots of tonal options.

Relevant to interests. I've gotten my drums to where the cats will happily gather in the next room, about 80-85dB per an Android app. I have manageable amp options, but more wouldn't hurt. This guy could be a good platform for a modeler. I had an 11Rack in my hands for a while that was genuinely impressive.

I love my H&K 20W. It can get louder than I'd like though, especially if I kick on the dirt channel and let it roar. So I've been looking at a Tubemeister 18. Two channels with a built in power soak that can take it from 18W to 1W. It has the same tube setup as my 20... 2 EL-84's and and 12AX7 preamp tubes.

I'm quite happy with my Super Champ for home practice and the Valvulator for recording.

I'm loving the boss katana. Really a fun little amp for home use. I'm sure you could gig with it too.

SCXD and a Rat clone does it for me.
I do have a Vox Pathfinder 15r in the the living room too.
I need to build a small pedal board and I will be done with gear for a few months.

since digging a guitar out of the basement and starting playing again, and not yet having gotten around to digging out an amp, I'm finding myself pretty content with software amps for quiet home playing.. :i:

I bought an Orange Micro Dark Terror. :embarrassed: to screw around with. Delivered on Saturday. I’ve swapped the tube already. It’s ok for the money.

Back