I just don't like tablets.

@OGG, regarding the Asus tablets... Asus came up with a great idea and SERIOUSLY dropped the ball on them. I had a TF201 that eventually became unbearable to use due to updates screwing up processor scheduling and storage handling further and further.

They carried nVidia Tegra processors. Notice NOBODY is using the Tegra anymore. Almost all devices are Qualcom Snapdragon based these days.

Sent from my Moto X 2014 using Tapatalk

I'm a desktop guy. I'm a gamer and my rig is a beast. Every tablet I use feels like I'm driving a go-kart on the autobahn
I have one of everything depending on my situation.

My desktop (currently Phenom II 955 Black based, but in need of an upgrade) sees heavy use when I'm at home.

My laptop (one of the last 17" Gateway P-series gaming laptops)... Not so much these days.

My tablet (LG G Pad 8.3 LTE) gets used mostly on the go, when I have the ability to use it, or laying in bed.

My phone (Moto X 2014) gets serious use when I'm not home.

The IBM Model M:

325px-IBM_Model_M.png

These guys make them using the same buckling spring key design but with Windows keys and a USB interface. $79 for a keyboard seems steep but, if you spend a lot of time on one, it's worth it.

http://www.pckeyboard.com/page/category/UKBD

@OGG, regarding the Asus tablets... Asus came up with a great idea and SERIOUSLY dropped the ball on them. I had a TF201 that eventually became unbearable to use due to updates screwing up processor scheduling and storage handling further and further.

They carried nVidia Tegra processors. Notice NOBODY is using the Tegra anymore. Almost all devices are Qualcom Snapdragon based these days.

My personal tablet is a TF101. By all rights, it should be entirely obsolete. But, I have a brand new custom ROM loaded on it and it's running the newest version of Lollipop. :)

It seriously hauls balls now. Works far better than even when it was new.

Would that be the clacky IBM Model M?

I freakin' relied on one of those for years when I was a programmer. It is one of the finest pieces of equipment ever engineered. My personal one was made in 1984 and was still going strong when I put it in storage a few years ago.

Yeah, they weighed like 10 pounds but they felt amazing and were indestructible.
I don't think so, I'll have to look next time - I think it's slightly, but not much newer. I used to have an older IBM keyboard that was very clacky - it was attached to an original XT. Fwiw, I have written much code w/this keyboard.

I prefer "desktops" too. At work I have a Mac tower, and at home a Mac Mini which feeds into my HD TV. I rarely use my laptops or tablet.

But I do read a lot on my Kindle Paperwhite. That thing I love.
I have the bare-bones Kindle and love it. My wife brings two or three books on vacation, I bring 300 in much less space. :grin:

The IBM Model M:

325px-IBM_Model_M.png

These guys make them using the same buckling spring key design but with Windows keys and a USB interface. $79 for a keyboard seems steep but, if you spend a lot of time on one, it's worth it.

http://www.pckeyboard.com/page/category/UKBD
Worth it - I had one of those original IBM keyboards.

The one I have now is not as good, it's a IBM KB8923, made in '98. The space bar has the return spring, I don't believe the keys do. It has a windows key x2. Still nicer than any other keyboard I've seen recently. Might look into those kb's that you linked there, those look nice.

Back