I just don't like tablets.

etch-a-sketch-artist-taj-mahal-731494-731585.JPG

Android?

I hate to say this (cause I'm generally not an apple fan), but the ipad is sooooooo much better than my android tablet (I have a decent tablet too). Seriously, if it's an android, try an ipad.

Android?

I hate to say this (cause I'm generally not an apple fan), but the ipad is sooooooo much better than my android tablet (I have a decent tablet too). Seriously, if it's an android, try an ipad.
I am just not a touch screen person; I put up with it on my phone, but only use my phone for limited things. The operating system isn't so much the problem as the input method.

I bought a cheap tablet that came with a keyboard, but the keyboard died immediately. I may but a better keyboard which might make the tablet better for me, but I think I'll probably just stick with the netbook.
What tablet is this we're talking about?
Android?

I'm posting this from my LG G Tab 8.3 LTE (on Verizon) using SwiftKey as my keyboard. I like it much better than either of my wife's iPads.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Android?

Between my family and work we own 4 iPads, a Google Nexus 7 and our POS is also and Android tablet so I have experience with both. You can do quite a bit of what I use the iPad for with the Android but the software I use onstage (QSC touch mix, Fourscore) and recording (Auria) are not available for Android last I checked. I think iRealB is on both platforms. I also like how everything works together with my desktops.

I'm posting this from my LG G Tab 8.3 LTE (on Verizon) using SwiftKey as my keyboard. I like it much better than either of my wife's iPads.

That's cool man, as long as it works for ya.

What I've found w/android in general is that it's OK for surfing, but when it comes to typing or creating anyway, the ipad apps just seem easier to us. Android generally feels bolted together and clunky. And trust me when I tell you, I WANT to like Android better, I totally love the fact that it can be freely embedded in just about anything. The ipad just feels more cohesive and easier to use.

What I've found w/android in general is that it's OK for surfing, but when it comes to typing or creating anyway, the ipad apps just seem easier to us. Android generally feels bolted together and clunky. And trust me when I tell you, I WANT to like Android better, I totally love the fact that it can be freely embedded in just about anything. The ipad just feels more cohesive and easier to use.
The funny part is I've hated the iOS keyboard since day one. I can't jell with it. I love SwiftKey.

5f90db640fecdd22549228faa7ef482f.jpg

I think it depends on what you're doing with it. My MotoX is a way different experience than my wife's Galaxy Note 2. I don't care for the changes Samsung made to the system.

Anyway, I don't care for tablets either. Hell, I don't even care for laptops. My phone is fine for most of the time, and if it's not, I'll migrate to a desktop with a real keyboard, a real mouse, and more power. Heh.

The funny part is I've hated the iOS keyboard since day one. I can't jell with it. I love SwiftKey.

iOS keyboard works great for me. The cursor postioning/text selection works well too. I do have swiftkey on my tablet.

And don't get me started on the keyboard that came w/my mac - I don't know what apple has against full-size keyboards and backspace keys, but I wish they'd get over it.

Favorite keyboard: The full-size IBM monstrosity I'm using right now w/my PC. This thing has serious mileage, but just feels fantastic.

I love my tablet. For certain things, it is absolutely indispensable.

It will never fully replace a laptop, but for casual use and lite duty apps, it is so much easier.

As for the whole Android vs iOS thing, it's universally accepted that by virtue of the Apple OS being paired strictly to Apple hardware, it is going to have a huge advantage in terms of app stability and such.

It's the same reason Mac and PC users have such opposing experiences.

So in that regard, Apple has a clear edge. The big problem with Android is the crazy variations in hardware from one device to another. Even devices of the same model and manufacturer can have different internals. We bought four ASUS Transformer tablets at the same time, and two of them are a different REV number from the others. Apps that work fine on one sometimes don't work on another, which is maddening.

It doesn't help either, that the Google Play Store hides apps that they deem unsupported by your individual device, but might actually work just fine. By contrast, it is common for an app that is supposed to be supported, to be totally unusable.

A big way around all of this nonsense, is to ROOT or Jailbreak your device and set it free from all of the nanny lockdowns. Not only can you better manage and customize your device, but you can get rid of all of the crap bloatware that came preloaded. You can also spoof the play store into showing all of the apps rather than just the ones they think you should see.

Sometimes these apps work great, sometimes not.

Having the device rooted just makes it so much better in terms of user experience.

Whoa! Tangent time.

Anyway, if you have an Android device and you don't love it, root it. You'll be glad you did.

I have no interest in tablets. I don't like laptops, either. I have a laptop and a desktop at work. The laptop is in my office, and it has a second screen and separate ergonomic keyboard. Both of my home computers are desktops. My wrists don't like laptop keyboards.

I prefer "desktops" too. At work I have a Mac tower, and at home a Mac Mini which feeds into my HD TV. I rarely use my laptops or tablet.

But I do read a lot on my Kindle Paperwhite. That thing I love.

I'm a desktop guy. I'm a gamer and my rig is a beast. Every tablet I use feels like I'm driving a go-kart on the autobahn

I don't own a tablet. I have my MacBook and my iPhone. I'll revisit the situation when the computer dies. In the meantime, I'm running the latest Mac OS, maybe a little slow, but totally ok. If the computer died tomorrow, I'd get another 13" MacBook Pro. If the phone died tomorrow, it's entirely possible I'd get an iPad Mini and a bluetooth headset and just be that guy.

Favorite keyboard: The full-size IBM monstrosity I'm using right now w/my PC. This thing has serious mileage, but just feels fantastic.

Would that be the clacky IBM Model M?

I freakin' relied on one of those for years when I was a programmer. It is one of the finest pieces of equipment ever engineered. My personal one was made in 1984 and was still going strong when I put it in storage a few years ago.

Yeah, they weighed like 10 pounds but they felt amazing and were indestructible.

We're a mult-platform household. Trying to get me hooked, my little brother left an iPad here, but neither the wife or I bonded with it. "It's just a big phone that doesn't do texts." was her take. Bro took the iPad back and I've fondled Android pads in the store since, but haven't pulled the trigger because of the several other things I'd rather get first.

That said, we have two Kindle Paperwhites that get almost as much use as the phones. Love mine to tears.

Would that be the clacky IBM Model M?

I freakin' relied on one of those for years when I was a programmer. It is one of the finest pieces of equipment ever engineered. My personal one was made in 1984 and was still going strong when I put it in storage a few years ago.

Yeah, they weighed like 10 pounds but they felt amazing and were indestructible.

I was an IBM terminal and network controller tech in an early job. 3270 terminals weighted about 60 pounds but were incredible. The keyboards were perfect. The early IBM PC keyboards always felt just right, too.

IBM_3277_Display.jpg

ibm3270terminal.jpg

Last edited:
Back