I can't take you seriously if you don't agree that Toto's Africa absolutely smokes.

I went to see Ringo last night (as stated earlier) just to get out of the house on a Friday evening. A couple that's friends of the wife had tickets (comps at the Hard Rock) and asked us if we wanted to go. I'd heard about Ringo's All-Star band a while back, but totally forgot who was touring with him, so I was a bit surprised by the lineup, Lukather being one of them.

I've never seen him live, nor followed him much. In fact I've heard way more about him here and over at GJ and even then I never bothered to gather a consensus, though for some reason, I've always thought it leaned more to the negative.

Here's what I drew from the guy's playing. He's got great talent, great technical ability and a fantastic ability to generate whatever is required of a guitarist (he is a session guy, right?), considering his job on this tour, playing along with Todd Rundgren, Gregg Rolie, Ringo and the guy from Mr. Mister (can't think of his name) that was quite a job. When he took his place as a musician with the rest of the group, his guitar work filled the room, and very well done.

Where he fell flat (in my opinion) was when it was his turn in the spotlight. The crowd loved it, so maybe I'm the one who doesn't "get it", but he overplayed every solo. Way too much flash, notes per measure, whatever you want to call it. The only solo he played tastefully was his own from "Rosanna".

Seeing Rolie was icing on the cake. He looks good, still kicks ass, and that guy, is it Richard Page(?) from Mr. Mister still sounds like he did when that "Broken Wings" tune hit the airwaves.

Overall, a really good show. I give Steve Lukather an A- :embarrassed:

Youch, that clip was rough...couldn't get past 0:40. The lead voices lacked power, were pitchy, and offered nothing unique to the catalog of female voices in the world. Yeah, I'm a dick.

Hey, my wife's in that group you fucken asshole!

No, I'm kidding. Actually, the Gritstress is in that group, but I've spent more time bitching about the quality of the musicianship in the past couple of years. My squaw can kill it, and she's spot on with pitch and tone, but some of those other girls are pretty suspect. Which is why I thought it was kind of a funny way to touch off this age old argument. Usually the people who take the Darial side are into really pristine musicianship and, for whatever reason, professionalism, which the entire Toto IV album has in spades. Africa is cool for that reason. Spot on harmonies. Cool arrangement. Et cetera. And this version kind of misses all those marks, which is highlighted perhaps best of all by the exceedingly shitty guitar solo imitation. So they missed the point, which always makes me laugh. I wondered who would nut up and point out the obvious. :)

I went to see Ringo last night (as stated earlier) just to get out of the house on a Friday evening. A couple that's friends of the wife had tickets (comps at the Hard Rock) and asked us if we wanted to go. I'd heard about Ringo's All-Star band a while back, but totally forgot who was touring with him, so I was a bit surprised by the lineup, Lukather being one of them.

I've never seen him live, nor followed him much. In fact I've heard way more about him here and over at GJ and even then I never bothered to gather a consensus, though for some reason, I've always thought it leaned more to the negative.

Here's what I drew from the guy's playing. He's got great talent, great technical ability and a fantastic ability to generate whatever is required of a guitarist (he is a session guy, right?), considering his job on this tour, playing along with Todd Rundgren, Gregg Rolie, Ringo and the guy from Mr. Mister (can't think of his name) that was quite a job. When he took his place as a musician with the rest of the group, his guitar work filled the room, and very well done.

Where he fell flat (in my opinion) was when it was his turn in the spotlight. The crowd loved it, so maybe I'm the one who doesn't "get it", but he overplayed every solo. Way too much flash, notes per measure, whatever you want to call it. The only solo he played tastefully was his own from "Rosanna".

Seeing Rolie was icing on the cake. He looks good, still kicks ass, and that guy, is it Richard Page(?) from Mr. Mister still sounds like he did when that "Broken Wings" tune hit the airwaves.

Overall, a really good show. I give Steve Lukather an A- :embarrassed:
tl/dr

And a word about "solitary company"...

Who hasn't spent a night alone? Sometimes it's alright. Even though you're alone in body you feel like you have company in spirit. You feel like you're together with the world. That guy Bob-something from GJ with the truck and the dog who camped all the time would know what i'm taking about.

There's alone, and then there's.... alone.

Solitary company makes perfect sense to me.

Also, boobs...

2014-10-18%2020.43.33_zpsreiqum5f.png

Why choose? It's ok to like songs from both. I know I do. :wink:

My ears are my temple and I try to feed them only the best...as such Toto doesn't rate.

Seriously though, I can a appreciate what Toto has done, but I only have so much time where I can listen to music in a day. There is no choice between the Beatles and Toto. Toto just is not in the rotation. I now none of their music and don't see how I would anytime soon.

Back