Hot or Not? 80's Charvel edition

Not bad, but I'd prefer the 2-pickup version. As for all the Kahler hate - sorry, but I liked the Kahler my Gibson had back in the 80s. You didn't have to deal with that nonsense about whether or not you wanted the bridge to float, which made it much more player friendly for somebody like me, who was used to playing guitars with tune-o-matic bridges, and rested the edge of their hand near the bridge. The strings were also easier to change than they were on the Floyd loaded guitar I used to have. Setup was easier too. Call me a fool, but I'd take a Kahler over a Floyd any day. I still feel that one of the reasons Floyds are so oohed and ahhed, is because of Van Halen. If he'd never used them, they never would have been as popular as they are.

You three are the crazies.

I had a Kahler on a Les Paul and after a while I couldn't wait to get rid of it and get a Floyd. It had the feel of a rubber band... those stupid little rollers would get stuck, or god forbid you dive the trem and touch the strings... because then the string would jump the roller and really get fucked up.

Floyds are ugly but are beautiful in their simplicity. String is locked at the nut and locked at the saddle. Period. No slack behind the nut or in the bridge itself.

That said, I don't play that kind of music anymore and think the PRS trem (or Mann Made) is the best. Locking tuners with a teflon nut...easy string changes and very little slack to get caught. Comfortable to rest your hand on because of the contoured bezel around the saddles. 6 knife edges for nice positive feel with no loss of tone.

I have this one's rarer cousin in incredible condition on ebay and reverb right now. Just waiting for the right collector to pony up the cash. MIJ Jackson/Charvels are great guitars.

doczuccms3czytydxgsn.jpg

zkmbflubzaczubhsokez.jpg

That IS in great shape.
Whatchoo asking for that?

(I know what I would pay for it.....)

You three are the crazies.

I had a Kahler on a Les Paul and after a while I couldn't wait to get rid of it and get a Floyd. It had the feel of a rubber band... those stupid little rollers would get stuck, or god forbid you dive the trem and touch the strings... because then the string would jump the roller and really get fucked up.

Floyds are ugly but are beautiful in their simplicity. String is locked at the nut and locked at the saddle. Period. No slack behind the nut or in the bridge itself.

That said, I don't play that kind of music anymore and think the PRS trem (or Mann Made) is the best. Locking tuners with a teflon nut...easy string changes and very little slack to get caught. Comfortable to rest your hand on because of the contoured bezel around the saddles. 6 knife edges for nice positive feel with no loss of tone.

Old school Mann Made bridges are great, they really are.

The Kahler is a strange beast. It had a lot of parts, it was a pretty complicated design.

That said, once you have them dialed in, there isn't a flaw to find other than it can't do the Floyd flutter. It can do a bigsby, a traditional 6 screw, a 2 point and a floyd. It could go from subtle, what a floyd can't do well, to extreme, what the traditional vibratos can't do. You can adjust it any way you want. You can change the saddle materials, system tension, bar angle, bar tension, saddles left/right/up/down. It has multiple bar types. It fell out of the way much like the floyd during the 90's, and actually they shut up shop and made golf clubs. They are back now with import and US machined models, because people still want them.

Nothing wrong with a Kahler.

Back