Hot dogs!

I don't eat them much, but I do love good hot dogs. My issue is I want them in the natural casings and those are next to impossible to find any more.

The store bought brands I'll get.
Nathans
Hebrew National
Ballpark Park's Finest
Sabrett
Boar's Head
Where do you get Sabrett out here?
I need a dirty water Frank!

I haven't seen them at Sprouts ( there is one a few blocks away) I'll have to check Tony's. That place always costs my a shitload of $ though. It's the best Italian market I have been in since moving from The Bronx.

I like the concept of a guy who hates hot dogs reviewing hot dog places with single-word reviews

There's a place up in Northern Wisconsin (about halfway between Green Bay and Wausau, ya hey!) called Nueske's that makes a mean hotdog. I buy their smoked bacon a couple times a year and like the cheddar-bacon brats, too

Yes,but local butcher is a rare thing nowadays. When you do go to one,the price is crazy.Pretty sad really.

You are correct.

I am fortunate that I have 2 local butchers.......ahhh yes, rural America.
:)

(Or was that by design?)
In any event, yes they are pricey, but man....are they good!

We have been talking with the neighbors and may go in on a cow and a pig.
I know you can actually pick out which animal you want, if you're into that kind of thing (I'm not.)

We just don't have the freezer space to do it at this point.
It works out to be cheaper in the long run to do it like that, but you are buying a LOT of meat. Stuff is GOOD, though.

I kind of want a hot dog now.

Around here, my easy choice is Hebrew National.

Has to 100% beef for me, so there are a few that I like.

At a stand?..Gray's Papaya. Nathan's sucks..even at Coney Island. And don't get me started on Pink's (Hollywood) and their ****ty 7-11-quality dog they try and hide under toppings. Caveat: I have lived up and won both coasts, but still not made it to Chicago to visit.

+1 on Hebrew National. I've never understood Pinks popularity other than drunk food. Same with Tommy Burger and their diarrhea-inducing chili on everything.

My dad worked at the original Nathans in Coney Island as a kid in the 1930's. We had Nathan's in Manhattan when I took Mrs Wein back to meet my family in 2003 and it was the worst fucking hot dog I've had in years.

Back