Formula 1 2015 Discussion

I think they should mandate that any team without an engine supplier worked out by October 1 has to run a Cosworth DFV or a Judd v8.
I don't know if you are serious or not but there is some validity to your post. "Back In The Day" it was Ferrari and (on and off again), renault-remember those turbos in the late 70's-early 80's? (Quick but broke down if you looked at them wrong), Cosworth, sometimes Matra, etc...

Later it was Judd, BMW (Megatron)and the like, but the likely hood was that if you were one of the privateer teams you could have a relatively competetive Cosworth in your car and race to win.

Now you are merely field filler so that F1 does not look like the farce it seems to be: One or two teams that are really competetive and the rest just there so the track has more than four cars on it. Cannot be a spectacle of racing if only two teams are entered.

I blame, rightly or not, Eccelstone. Sure, he brought money into the sport but I do not remember it being so....Boring like it is now.

It would be nice if a company like Cosworth, with no affiliation to any marque, could be an engine supplier. Then there would not be an issue of top-tier v. "you just get to make the grid" engines as Cosworth would not have any allegiance to just one team. They would provide the same engines to anyone who wanted one.

As it is now you either sail the failboat like McLaren is doing, or get stuck with underpowered customer engines from the top-tier teams. No way to compete at all.

I am liking F1 less and less as time goes by. It is, IMO, losing it's relevance due to its seeming favoritism to certain teams, and Eccelstone's hubris.

I don't know if you are serious or not but there is some validity to your post. "Back In The Day" it was Ferrari and (on and off again), renault-remember those turbos in the late 70's-early 80's? (Quick but broke down if you looked at them wrong), Cosworth, sometimes Matra, etc...

Later it was Judd, BMW (Megatron)and the like, but the likely hood was that if you were one of the privateer teams you could have a relatively competetive Cosworth in your car and race to win.

Now you are merely field filler so that F1 does not look like the farce it seems to be: One or two teams that are really competetive and the rest just there so the track has more than four cars on it. Cannot be a spectacle of racing if only two teams are entered.

I blame, rightly or not, Eccelstone. Sure, he brought money into the sport but I do not remember it being so....Boring like it is now.

It would be nice if a company like Cosworth, with no affiliation to any marque, could be an engine supplier. Then there would not be an issue of top-tier v. "you just get to make the grid" engines as Cosworth would not have any allegiance to just one team. They would provide the same engines to anyone who wanted one.

As it is now you either sail the failboat like McLaren is doing, or get stuck with underpowered customer engines from the top-tier teams. No way to compete at all.

I am liking F1 less and less as time goes by. It is, IMO, losing it's relevance due to its seeming favoritism to certain teams, and Eccelstone's hubris.

I was partly joking, but I do like the idea of a return of some of the privateer era feel to the sport. Allowing small teams to run some type of a cheap option spec engine might be a solution. One can easily make a v8 or v10 that matches the HP numbers of the current V6 turbo motors, and that might get more upstart teams in the sport. I don't want F1 to turn into a outright spec chassis/engine race, but it seems there needs to be a competitive power unit these teams can use.

f1 ticks.jpg

WOOOHOOO! FedEx just delivered my COTA F1 tickets. This year I'm sitting at turn 12. :)

Last edited:
Mine are here too. I will be at Turn 4 this year.

Last year we were at turn 5. Turn 4 should be a nice view of cars coming down out of turn 1 and under the pedestrian bridge. They also lift a bit right after the S's of turn 4-5-6 and produce some odd deceleration sounds before they go up the hill. A good location, and you are very close to the food and beer.

Last edited:
Last year we were at turn 5. Turn 4 should be a nice view of cars coming down out of turn 1 and under the pedestrian bridge. They also lift a bit right after the S's of turn 4-5-6 and produce some odd deceleration sounds before they go up the hill. A good location, and you are very close to the food and beer.
The first couple times I went I did General Admission and I sat in the grass area at Turn 1. I did check out Turns 4,5 and 6 during free practice in 2013. Got some nice pictures there. That part of the track is where you see what F1 cars are best at, taking corners flat out.

It's my understanding that the teams that are supplying customer motors are required to supply like for like in regards to what they are running. At least in terms of the mechanicals. It's up to the buyer to properly spec and tune the power plants for optimal performance. This is why Williams has been fairly consistent in matching the Mercs straight line speed, and even managed to out qualify them in Canada last year. If Williams had better aero, they would be all over Hamilton and Rosberg.

Same for McLaren year before last when the Mercedes dominance began. The McLaren cars were equally fast until the down force was needed.

We've seen plenty of Ferrari powered cars keep pace with the Scuderia. It's only been the wealth of experience and money that has kept the prancing horse from getting run over. I can recall several times that Fernando Alonso had to desperately fight off a Sauber car during his Ferrari years.

As for uncle Bernie, he needs to go.

Actually they are interchangeable. One of the regulations is that all of the different engine manufacturers have the same mounting points. So at the very least they will fit. Can't say how well they will work though.
Well, that's good news. I would imagine they'll still have to alter bodywork to fit the engine, which would greatly affect aerodynamics, unless all the engines have to fit in a given envelope.

It's my understanding that the teams that are supplying customer motors are required to supply like for like in regards to what they are running. At least in terms of the mechanicals. It's up to the buyer to properly spec and tune the power plants for optimal performance. This is why Williams has been fairly consistent in matching the Mercs straight line speed, and even managed to out qualify them in Canada last year. If Williams had better aero, they would be all over Hamilton and Rosberg.

Same for McLaren year before last when the Mercedes dominance began. The McLaren cars were equally fast until the down force was needed.

We've seen plenty of Ferrari powered cars keep pace with the Scuderia. It's only been the wealth of experience and money that has kept the prancing horse from getting run over. I can recall several times that Fernando Alonso had to desperately fight off a Sauber car during his Ferrari years.

As for uncle Bernie, he needs to go.

Cannot argue with any of this. Especially the last line of the post.

Reactions: OGG
Ok, no spoilers here since everyone may not yet know the Quali results, but holy shit! That was an incredibly scary way to wrap up the final session.

Glad to see Kvyat walked away from that. With another Merc 1-2 and Hamilton easily outclassing Rosberg, with Vettel third, we're back to business as usual.

Glad to see Kvyat walked away from that. With another Merc 1-2 and Hamilton easily outclassing Rosberg, with Vettel third, we're back to business as usual.
Yup.

Crashtor went the distance and didn't take anyone out. That's the first time this year.

Sounds like Alonso is done with Honda.

With tomorrow being the big court date for Lotus, my theory is looking more legit than ever. I think the Renault take over is a sure thing now and with Grosjean heading over to Haas F1, it creates a perfect spot for Alonso to jump into.

I can't believe I'm going to have to root for Grosjean...

Well, at least it wasn't Dildonado.
Romain was a disaster for the first two years, but has since matured into a very smart and capable driver. He seems like a pretty cool dude too, so I'll have no trouble cheering him on.

Romain was a disaster for the first two years, but has since matured into a very smart and capable driver. He seems like a pretty cool dude too, so I'll have no trouble cheering him on.
Yeah, he's gotten a lot better since Webber called him a first-lap nutcase.

I heard that Red Bull is considering Honda for the Toro Rosso team next year.

Really...:facepalm:

I heard that Red Bull is considering Honda for the Toro Rosso team next year.

Really...:facepalm:
If they want to keep playing, they probably don't have a choice. Mercedes and Ferrari aren't dumb enough to put their power plant into a Red Bull chassis only to have them completely embarrassed by Adrian Newey and Co.

Renault is out of the question now that Red Bull has so viciously assailed them all year, and that will be even more true once Renault takes over Lotus.

Pretty much looks like Honda or bust at this point. The scary thing about that, is that Honda will not stay in this funk for long. They have the knowledge, experience and money to get their shit together, and when they do, we could very well see a changing of the guard.

According to Alonso, the McLaren chassis is spectacular. If they were still running Mercedes power, this season would be very different.

If that's the case, we could be on the cusp of a new group of dominant teams with Mercedes and Ferrari playing catch up.

Back