Formula 1 2015 Discussion

Good point.

Hamilton is predictable though in the sense that once he has a lead, he's gone, but... if you can squeeze past him at the start of the race and manage to hold him off for any period of time, he turns to mush inside and starts making desperate mistakes. This is how Vettel has won twice this season in the same slower Ferrari that Kimi has.

Just like the Iceman in Top Gun, Kimi can wear you down and force you into a mistake just by being large in your rear view mirror. He blew any chance of that.

This.

This is why I am not fond of Hamilton. When he was with McLaren and they had a relatively competitive car he would get childish if he was trailing. Forget trying to pass him when he made a mistake. I saw him take out numerous drivers when they were trying to pass him.

He is a baby when he is not in the lead and one who will try to punt you if you pass him.

Reactions: OGG
Yeah, I'm not a fan of Hamilton, either. I'd love to see either Ferrari leave him in the dust like at Hungary. Or even better, a Williams.

Well that was a crazy race weekend. For once Mercedes didn't dominate, and we can see why they don't want to supply Red Bull one of their engines. Ferrari were definitely on their game this weekend. Too bad about that second safety car after that Jackass decided to walk on to the track. Who does that? Up until that point some interesting strategy was coming into play. It was like a classic F1 race where it was a chess match between the teams and who would blink first, but that all went away when that second safety car came out.
I was surprised it went full distance, but I think everyone was going flat out in the last stint so it made up for the time the safety car ate up in the 2 hour time limit.

McLaren were showing some decent pace too, but reliability got the best of them again.

Mercedes appear to be having more reliability issues. Maybe their 2016 engine isn't all it's cracked up to be.

First time I actually enjoyed seeing Vettel walk away from the pack. What a difference that prancing horse badge makes :)

I was a little put off when the announcers all got on Massa because Hulkenberg ran him over. That was lame, and the stewards obviously agree with me on that one.

Fun weekend over all. Sadly though, there aren't any more circuits left on the schedule that are going to work so heavily against Mercedes.

Crashtor didn't wreck anyone? I only saw the last few laps and he was still running.
Button said Dildonado tried to run him into the wall right before Button ran into the back of him. Jens said Crashtor accelerated slower than normal out of that turn, and that's why he hit him.

Also glad the stewards penalized Hulk instead of Massa. Massa gave him room and had nowhere to go.

And for the record, Rossi passed Hamilton on track!

Reactions: OGG
Well, if Renault does indeed take over the Lotus F1 team, Crashtor will never drive an F1 car again. Not even Manor/Marussia is that desperate.

Well, if Renault does indeed take over the Lotus F1 team, Crashtor will never drive an F1 car again. Not even Manor/Marussia is that desperate.
Lotus has confirmed that Maldonado will be driving for them next season.:facepalm:

Lotus has confirmed that Maldonado will be driving for them next season.:facepalm:
"Lotus" can confirm all they want, but that confirmation is entirely the result of Lotus' current financial woes as a team, and them having little choice. If Renault manages to strike a deal to acquire Team Lotus as is widely considered to be inevitable, Renault will be in the "Drivers Seat", and you can rest assured they don't want or need Crashtor's sponsorship money. He'll be gone like a fart in the wind.

There are guys out there that they could plug right in and not worry about rebuilding a chassis every two weeks.

Heiki Kovalainen, Jean Eric Vergne, etc.

Bottom line, if the deal gets done. Crashtor is done.

Latest rumor floating around Jalopnik is that Jenson Button is going to announce his F1 retirement at Suzuka. Apparently, he isn't very happy driving at the back of the back, and his already strained relationship with Ron Dennis has soured further.

Just read about Jenson. Not at all surprised, but still a bit saddened. His last several seasons have been pretty rough through no fault of his own.

I don't know the details on Alonso and his contract with McLaren, but I'm envisioning a scenario wherein Renault finalizes the Lotus buyout, while simultaneously getting out of the power plant supplier market. They bring a new and vastly improved power plant to their 2016 car, one that can keep pace with Mercedes and Ferrari, and plop Alonso into Crashtor's former ride. Fernando then puts an epic smackdown on the rest of the field and brings home both a driver and constructor championship for the Black and Gold.

Dooo eeet!

Button is supposedly only retiring from F1. He may host the new Top Gear, and also race WEC and/or Le Mans. Maybe he'll team up with Webber at Porsche!

I don't see Renault having a hugely improved engine next year no matter what happens. With the token system and the engine rules, they're pretty well handcuffed until the FIA changes the engine rules, which they need to do ASAP. I fucking hate these engines. They need to get back to engines that sound like F1 cars.

Just read an article that Red Bull has, again, threatened to pull both the Red Bull team and Toro Rosso out of F1 if they cannot get a customer engine that is competitive. They were in negotiations with Merc but those talks stalled when Merc refused to sell them a top-line power plant. Now they are talking with Ferrari about buying engines from them.

Here is what I don't get (or , rather, I get it but I think it merely makes the manufacturers look like scared punks): The engine suppliers like Merc and Ferrari do not want to sell their 1A engines to other teams for fear that they would be beaten by those other teams.

Does that mean they know they have crappy engineers, aerodynamicists (sp?), etc...and are afraid of being beaten by the likes of Marussia if they have a good engine?

If so then why even bother?

Strikes me as cowardly thinking.

They should just get rid of the restrictive rules for engines. Set a displacement and fuel limit and let them have at it. Then require each team to build their own engine. This business of teams supplying engines to other teams really creates a conflict of interest and takes away any real chance of competition from the non-manufacturer backed teams.

Just read an article that Red Bull has, again, threatened to pull both the Red Bull team and Toro Rosso out of F1 if they cannot get a customer engine that is competitive. They were in negotiations with Merc but those talks stalled when Merc refused to sell them a top-line power plant. Now they are talking with Ferrari about buying engines from them.

Here is what I don't get (or , rather, I get it but I think it merely makes the manufacturers look like scared punks): The engine suppliers like Merc and Ferrari do not want to sell their 1A engines to other teams for fear that they would be beaten by those other teams.

Does that mean they know they have crappy engineers, aerodynamicists (sp?), etc...and are afraid of being beaten by the likes of Marussia if they have a good engine?

That's it in a nutshell. Mercedes knows damn well that any team employing the likes of Adrian Newey are likely to drive their own engine straight up their ass.

Last season showed how being both a team and an engine provider can be dangerous. Ferrari struggled mightily all season, while teams running Ferrari power were right on their heels. Never forget that even a lowly Marussia cracked the top ten in Monaco while running a Ferrari engine. Sure, attrition played a big part, but without that little extra grunt, it would have never happened.

Really, the only reason Ferrari managed to stay ahead of their customers, was the guys driving the cars. The Torro Rosso drivers of this season would have eaten their breakfast last year.

Red Bull is running out of choices. Renault is obviously out, Honda is worse, Mercedes have told them to shit in their fist, so it's Ferrari or quit. There were rumors of VW entering F1 with Audi and buying/partnering with Red Bull, but with VW's recent "difficulties," they won't be joining F1 any time soon. It's too late for them to do it next year anyway, unless they have a full program going on in secret, which is unlikely.

It's also getting pretty late for Red Bull to try to stuff Ferrari engines in their cars and make them work. It's not like the different manufacturers' engines are interchangeable.

Red Bull is running out of choices. Renault is obviously out, Honda is worse, Mercedes have told them to shit in their fist, so it's Ferrari or quit. There were rumors of VW entering F1 with Audi and buying/partnering with Red Bull, but with VW's recent "difficulties," they won't be joining F1 any time soon. It's too late for them to do it next year anyway, unless they have a full program going on in secret, which is unlikely.

It's also getting pretty late for Red Bull to try to stuff Ferrari engines in their cars and make them work. It's not like the different manufacturers' engines are interchangeable.
Actually they are interchangeable. One of the regulations is that all of the different engine manufacturers have the same mounting points. So at the very least they will fit. Can't say how well they will work though.

I think they should mandate that any team without an engine supplier worked out by October 1 has to run a Cosworth DFV or a Judd v8.

Back