finally! someone overdesigned a pick

Thanks mark. I can see that plastic clip being somewhat of a "scissor" or clamp shape. Place the pick in the clip, squeeze the two halves of the clip onto the pick, then slide the clip in until it clicks.

The two halves of the pick gripper could cover half of the pick and could even be contoured on the outside where the fingers would touch the pick. Enough of the pick inside would protrude to then be functional.
You could order one and adapt it with yur belt sander. :grin:

I don't know if my picking is crap or not, and by who's standards...
But making my own picks and honing down what works for me is what ....well....works for me.

But I guess, since I make picks that fit my style, there's nothing wrong with buying one of these if it fits YOUR style.
The thing that I would be more interested in is, HOW do these sound? Picks are highly overlooked in the overall sound
Wrong pick shape/material/thickness.... can make or break the sound of even the very top end axes.....

Anybody have sound clips with this?

this thread is not going how I thought it would
:grin:

Me either. I was prepared to hate the thing. And honestly there are things that I don't like about it but the overall effect is positive enough that I ordered 5 of them for my students to try.

I don't know if my picking is crap or not, and by who's standards...
But making my own picks and honing down what works for me is what ....well....works for me.

But I guess, since I make picks that fit my style, there's nothing wrong with buying one of these if it fits YOUR style.
The thing that I would be more interested in is, HOW do these sound? Picks are highly overlooked in the overall sound
Wrong pick shape/material/thickness.... can make or break the sound of even the very top end axes.....

Anybody have sound clips with this?
Not yet. It really depends on the sound you are going for and I mentioned in the review I did that I prefer the sound of Ultex and perhaps a rounder tip.

I love the rounder tip....
Although for extreme shredding it could be round (like circle) to very sharp...
All depends on what I'm going for....

But materials..... are important.

Can they make one like this?

111011000000000-00-750x750.jpg

Okay, so here are just a couple of my thoughts, as well as a few comments from students:

Jeremy was nice enough to send out the same package for evaluation he sent Mark. Out of the two picks, I greatly preferred the black, jazz-type picks. As a matter of fact, I even liked the picks and the multiple edges without the grip aid... I really thought the black picks were fantastic on their own.

I found the entire array was really helpful for playing fast, down picked metal riffs. I definitely felt less fatigue than I normally would, although I had to adjust my palm muting position as well. On the other hand, it felt very awkward for me when alternate picking, especially when I was doing cross-picking style runs. I spent a couple of hours rehearsing with it in Kicking Up Cinders and even played it on a few songs live, but eventually switched back to my V-Picks for the rest of the show.

For me the biggest issue is actually related to the product tag line: "It feels so good, you won't even know it's in your hand." A chunk of plastic with an indent that feels like an Xbox trigger is definitely noticeable and I never quite adjusted to the grip, no matter how ergonomic the intent. That can absolutely come down to personal preferences however, as I had a couple of students that really like how it felt in their hands. One of my students is a metalhead and he absolutely loved doing sweep picking with it and I noticed a smoother progression in my own sweeps. Where it really fell short for both me and some of my other students was with regards to strumming; it felt clunky and not at all natural. I was really hopeful that it would help transfer wrist motion into more efficient strums, but it just didn't happen.

Overall the Pykmax sort of reminds me of the Stylus Pick in that it's a great tool for working on specific technique weaknesses, but I don't see it replacing my V-Picks or Jazz 3s for regular use.

Okay, so here are just a couple of my thoughts, as well as a few comments from students:

Jeremy was nice enough to send out the same package for evaluation he sent Mark. Out of the two picks, I greatly preferred the black, jazz-type picks. As a matter of fact, I even liked the picks and the multiple edges without the grip aid... I really thought the black picks were fantastic on their own.

I found the entire array was really helpful for playing fast, down picked metal riffs. I definitely felt less fatigue than I normally would, although I had to adjust my palm muting position as well. On the other hand, it felt very awkward for me when alternate picking, especially when I was doing cross-picking style runs. I spent a couple of hours rehearsing with it in Kicking Up Cinders and even played it on a few songs live, but eventually switched back to my V-Picks for the rest of the show.

For me the biggest issue is actually related to the product tag line: "It feels so good, you won't even know it's in your hand." A chunk of plastic with an indent that feels like an Xbox trigger is definitely noticeable and I never quite adjusted to the grip, no matter how ergonomic the intent. That can absolutely come down to personal preferences however, as I had a couple of students that really like how it felt in their hands. One of my students is a metalhead and he absolutely loved doing sweep picking with it and I noticed a smoother progression in my own sweeps. Where it really fell short for both me and some of my other students was with regards to strumming; it felt clunky and not at all natural. I was really hopeful that it would help transfer wrist motion into more efficient strums, but it just didn't happen.

Overall the Pykmax sort of reminds me of the Stylus Pick in that it's a great tool for working on specific technique weaknesses, but I don't see it replacing my V-Picks or Jazz 3s for regular use.
I didn't use mine for the gigs I had over the weekend but I did notice that after a weeks worth of dedicated practicing with the Pykmax that my normal picking was a lot cleaner and better controlled. My really fast playing is going to take quite a bit more practicing before it locks in but I like where I am going with this and I ordered a handful of them for my students:

10368386_10152925847502425_1541650410682340898_n.jpg

I didn't use mine for the gigs I had over the weekend but I did notice that after a weeks worth of dedicated practicing with the Pykmax that my normal picking was a lot cleaner and better controlled. My really fast playing is going to take quite a bit more practicing before it locks in but I like where I am going with this and I ordered a handful of them for my students:

10368386_10152925847502425_1541650410682340898_n.jpg

That's why I feel it makes a better practice tool than an actual replacement for my normal picks. It certainly has some potential uses, but I definitely feel it's more gimmick than innovation, at least personally.

I would like to say again though that the actually picks themselves I'm really digging. I'd be tempted to buy just a pack of those and use them without the actual support.

Again, kudos to Jeremy for coming here and offering samples for feedback rather than being defensive about our trash-talk. This is the sign of a good businessman and human being. Thanks to Mark and Andy for the feedback. If I actually used a flat pick I'd be tempted to try this out.

I'd be in but, so to speak, but I don't want to depend on a device to hold my pick...for me....
This one or any of the many others that have shown up in guitardom over the years.

The pick materials sound interesting though since I've done a good bit of making my own custom picks out of liquid plastic.
So many recipe's out there ... pricy but for me, def worth it.
And I feel that I play a lot better after having designed my own, honed them in custom to my needs/wants.....

BUT, I may still buy one just to check out his ideas and to support another musician and his innovations.

No worries Jeremy, not making picks for sale and not looking to steal your ideas...
Just got me interested in what ya got going :)

And I think its great that someone is still out there creating new ideas for those of us that just love gadgets .....for the sake of loving gadgets :)

I want to thank you for giving Pykmax a full evalation. Very much appreciate the detailed feedback. We recognize that Pykmax will not work for all players all the time. However, our goal is to give guitarists a good tool that can be used as they see fit. With that said, we are planning numerous improvements with all aspects of the Pykmax design so stay tuned for future developments. Thanks also to everyone in the forum for being so open minded and welcoming me on board. For anyone that's going to be at NAMM, please stop by our booth at Hall E (1588). We're gonna have some new stuff and we would really like to meet you in person.

Back