finally! someone overdesigned a pick

I'm a thumb and fingerpick type of guy, so this is of no use to me. I'll be interested to hear Andy's feedback. No offense to Jeremy, but a company's job is to sell a product, so it will be nice to get a player's (and teacher's) view. This is nothing I would ever buy, but if it actually fits a need, then that is great.

And thanks for coming in with that offer, Jeremy, and for taking our smart-ass remarks so well. :wink:

Ok, I'm one who makes my own picks, wood, exothermic plastic poured/molded, I've bought just about any pick on the market in bulk that I could find to give them a sincere honest try, I've used all kinds of methods to get more finger stick.... So this is interesting to me. At work now but can hook you up to pics later, although probably on this site somewhere.

What I have found is that one pick can NEVER do it all..... Mine, yours, off the shelf heavily marketed............ doesn't matter...

Seeing the picks, replacement tips offered for yours, this does seem limited in many ways.
But I've not tried one and will wait patiently for reviews.

Welcome to the site, and very cool to find someone else who takes it to extremes....
I hope its the one pick that everybody must have. :)

It’s sad that they put so much thought into the design of the product but the marketing is total shit. Based on looking at it and what they say in the video I think the Pykmax is a pick for people who want to shred with the pick parallel to the strings but keep their wrist at a natural angle. But it might also have something to do with busking.

@Jeremy Milikow I have to agree with the above. I watched the video and never got a very clear view of what the pykmax looks like or how it works. I couldn't find any pictures on the website either after clicking a few links.

From what I could tell, it looks like the pick is held in place by some sort of ergonomic lever that rests between the crux of your thumb and forefinger? I could see that being useful for switching between finger picking and regular picking. Might be interesting to try it out. :shrug:

Available online only at this point?

I dunno.

On impulse, I grabbed a Zagg installation squeegee and used it as a pick.
I was finger picking and wanted to get more of a strum going and it was in front of me on my desk.

It fit well in my hand and worked well. My immediate thought was, "If this was pick material, it would be perfect."

View attachment 16643

So, I've tried this a few more times and I am starting to like the idea of a larger pick that fits into my hand.
I have a problem with any activity that requires me to "pinch" or hold small things against my thumb tip for long periods of time. My thumbs are missing a knuckle so it only bends at the base and at the last knuckle.

The PykMax looks good because its shaped more appropriately than the squeegee. I can see how it might be a good thing.
I think I'll put it on my shopping list.

I like the idea -- might be interested in trying one sometime. I'm a lefty-playing-righty and right-hand technique has always been an issue with me. If this is something that could help, I might be interested. FWIW, I currently own one of those Pick Punches and make my own picks out of old credit cards, etc.

The only thing that it seems useful for would be if you had an arthritic hand that couldn't properly grip a pick... but if your hands were that bad, I would think that your fretting hand would be that bad too.

The only thing that it seems useful for would be if you had an arthritic hand that couldn't properly grip a pick... but if your hands were that bad, I would think that your fretting hand would be that bad too.

Exhibit A:

keith-richards.jpg

That's one reason I'm looking forward to try it, but you're correct, if my right hand is that bad, my left is probably in bad shape too. :(

Received a shipping confirmation today... I'll take pics as soon as it arrives!

I've seen long picks - say, 3 inches long - that are used a bit like a pencil from the top. Mostly for other, older string instruments. Requires more precision, but much more economical. Not sure if it would work for the guitar, though, especially for strumming.

That's one reason I'm looking forward to try it, but you're correct, if my right hand is that bad, my left is probably in bad shape too. :(

Received a shipping confirmation today... I'll take pics as soon as it arrives!

Interested to hear what you think of it.

Back