EDIT: It has arrived!

BTW that neck isn't a stain, that's the mahogany's natural color :wink:

Gorgeous. I feel like the 335 is the one thing Gibson hasn't really been able to screw up or even really build any differently than they did in the 50's.

And I have a tracking number. I hope sending a buddy to test it works out. If not, I can exchange it or get a refund. Anyway, my friend picked through 4 old stock models and picked this one. We spent 5 years in a crappy college band together, and have traded guitars back and forth the last 20 years, so he knows what I like.

I'm moving to Europe soon and getting this there will be much harder without local friends and sales contact relationships. It is kind of now or never for me. I can't get a good price and a hands on report in Switzerland. I know Gibson isn't popular, and I'm as much a critic as anyone, but I wanted this guitar since I was 16, and based on some weird alignment of the universe it became affordable. I think most people get it.

Interesting about the neck stain. My LP is s very similar color. I always assumed Gibson stained their wood. Of course, I don't have any frame of reference of what natural wood looks like.

Last edited:
And I have a tracking number. I hope sending a buddy to test it works out. If not, I can exchange it or get a refund. Anyway, my friend picked through 4 old stock models and picked this one. We spent 5 years in a crappy college band together, and have traded guitars back and forth the last 20 years, so he knows what I like.

I'm moving to Europe soon and getting this there will be much harder without local friends and sales contact relationships. It is kind of now or never for me. I can't get a good price and a hands on report in Switzerland. I know Gibson isn't popular, and I'm as much a critic as anyone, but I wanted this guitar since I was 16, and based on some weird alignment of the universe it became affordable. I think most people get it.

Interesting about the neck stain. My LP is s very similar color. I always assumed Gibson stained their wood. Of course, I don't have any frame of reference of what natural wood looks like.

I get it. I can't stand Gibson either but that does not stop me from lusting after an ES-339 and an X-Plorer pro.

Happy Pending New Guitar Day. Looks beautiful.

Looking forward to pics of you playing it at the 1st Annual Alpen-Stock.

I recently fulfilled a 50-year dream to own a Gibson J45. Yeh, I heard all the complaints about Gibson, but the heart wants what it wants, and I couldn't be happier. Enjoy that Gibson!

BTW that neck isn't a stain, that's the mahogany's natural color :wink:

Gorgeous. I feel like the 335 is the one thing Gibson hasn't really been able to screw up or even really build any differently than they did in the 50's.

Except the older guys at Heritage (the original Kalamazoo Gibson factory) still know how to make them better. :wink:

That is fantastic. 335 s are the most versatile guitars ever. The 57 classics that were in mine sounded great. Really alive. Not sure what they are putting in the 63 VOS, but I'm sure they sound fantastic.

My Spanish teacher in high school had one of the first of reissues, when they got back on track following the parting of ways with Norlin. Very sweet guitar. Congrats.

That is fantastic. 335 s are the most versatile guitars ever. The 57 classics that were in mine sounded great. Really alive. Not sure what they are putting in the 63 VOS, but I'm sure they sound fantastic.

The pickups are an slightly underwound and wax potted take on a vintage PAF. I have no idea what that actually means, other than they are some type of humbucker. Some online descriptions suggest they are almost single coil like in definition with way more output than a single coil, so again, humbuckers.

Last edited:
I don't care for some of the business decisions Gibson has made but I LOVE my Gibson. It feels like it was custom made for me.
Could they/should they have designed a few things different...sure. But all in all Gibson guitars are top shelf imo.

I'm with @gtrjunior

There are some killer Gibson guitars. I've had a few and they have all been stellar. I played the SG last night at practice and it's easily on par with my LP. :thu:
And it probably is between 6 and 7 pounds.
In hindsight I probably should have kept my 335

IMG_2647.JPG
It is here. It is absolutely fantastic. It sounds HUGE through my amps with a little dirt. It arrived in tune and everything. I've only had it for about half an hour, but I can already tell it is a great guitar. It plays like buuttttaaaaaa.

Here is a picture of it on my couch.

Last edited:
Back