Building my own Amp

I built a Weber kit (the 5E7M...the same kit Randy built).

I also read that same book before building. Then printed off the schematic and layout from Weber's site and studied them for a while before actually ordering the kit.

I think it took me about a month from beginning to end, working only an hour or two at a time a few days a week. I didn't have any real issues. I wired up one of the transformers backward and it got stuck in an infinite feedback loop, but a little google research quickly told me what was wrong. Reversed those two wires and she's worked like a champ (or a Bandmaster) ever since.

Got any clips of the amp?

Got any clips of the amp?

That's it in the video. Just the lead...plugged straight in.

This is also it. I believe the rhythm stuff was plugged straight in and cranked, and the leads may have a boost on them.

Free For All

I'm sure I've got some clean stuff too, but I don't really remember what amps I used for what.

That's it in the video. Just the lead...plugged straight in.

This is also it. I believe the rhythm stuff was plugged straight in and cranked, and the leads may have a boost on them.

Free For All

I'm sure I've got some clean stuff too, but I don't really remember what amps I used for what.
Sorry! Saw the thumbnail of the vid and thought it was a marketing clip for the amp!

Sounds freekin' great man.

Yeah, I'm really happy with it. And yes, I've gigged it many times.
I'm thinking about another build, that might be it. Really considering doing a replica blackface fender deluxe reverb also - hated the DRRI I had, and a replica of a blackface is probably the closest I can get to a real one.

This one is a tweed Bandmaster. I built it as a head instead of the traditional 310 combo or whatever tweed Bandmasters came as back in the late 50s.

The Weber kit seemed pretty good, and I got good customer service. I was originally sent the wrong chassis, and they rushed me out the correct one. I was missing one component, and they rushed that to me. The biggest problem was that one of the transformers was back ordered for a few weeks, so I built the board and wired up everything except the back ordered part, then dropped that in when I got it.

I'd definitely buy another kit from them.

Damn that sounds good. I have a similar MESA 1x12 (the bottom half of my Express 5:25 that rarely leaves the house as I typically don't need more than the combo). Definitely thinking about this now.

Most of my amps are head/cab setups - allows me to mix and match. I do have my Fender Excelsior and Clone Deluxe build that are combo's and are great for those lower volume type gigs. The Weber however is now housed in a Tweed Super type cab from Mojotone. I did it so I have a blues amp to use at gigs and jams.

In my video, I see that I still had the Coppertop rectifier in there. I have since replaced that with an actual rectifier tube, though I can't remember what kind.

Back