Book jam - what you all reading?

At the moment I'm reading Millenium by Tom Holland. Haven't read a lot of fiction lately, I managed to create a pile of 2/3rd read books I still need to finish. I think the last one I started was by Terry Pratchett, a friend of mine who loves his books gave it to me, but I think it's quite crappy to be honest.

Just bought these two books in a series from the author over at the NASA Spring Festival. Had them signed, of course. He's an engineer of 17 years in NASA and works in my old life sciences building. Pretty cool guy, too.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18681431-in-the-days-of-humans
18681431.jpg

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24291207-in-the-days-of-humans
24291207.jpg

Reactions: Tig
I'm reading Back to the Garden: The Story of Woodstock by Pete Fornatale - I bought it for $1.63 on Amazon. What sets this book apart is that it goes through the festival in chronological order, giving attention to artists whose Woodstock appearances were not featured in the movie and albums as well as the iconic performances. It includes recollections from artists, promoters, the financial backers, and attendees. It was really the first book on the subject that talked about Melanie's appearance at the festival, and gave some insight into how Country Joe McDonald made an unexpected and somewhat unwanted solo appearance and how a tripping John Sebastian, who was not on the bill, was put up on stage in his tie-dye outfit and a borrowed guitar. There was also info on some less successful appearances by Tim Hardin and Sweetwater, among others. It is nice to get a slightly different take on the festival.

I don't know to whom I post this, but if you interested in literature....I HIGHLY recommend Patrick O'Brian's Master and Commander series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aubrey–Maturin_series

A+ and I don't give that out too often. Absolutely excellent.

As a matter of fact, I can't recall another book (series) I would give an A+ to, to be honest.

The Road by Cormac McCarthy scored an A- in my mind. (Another good one, but that was fucking dark, man...really, really dark. But give credit where it is due. A different kind of read, for sure....and not a series [thank God]).
I recently saw the movie the Road. It wasn't as dark as the novel, so I reread it. I like it but No Country is still my favorite.

I recently saw the movie the Road. It wasn't as dark as the novel, so I reread it. I like it but No Country is still my favorite.

No Country for Old Men was fucked up as well, but I prefer the Road, if only just for the "shock" factor.
Both worth reading.....

Just finished "Mr. Pip" by Lloyd Jones. Not my usual fare but I really liked it and recommend it. It's a bit of a tear-jerker in spots.

Now back to business as usual, some sci-fi. This one is my first from this author, so far I'm having a blast:

51Tj3xjLwsL.jpg

No Country for Old Men was fucked up as well, but I prefer the Road, if only just for the "shock" factor.
Both worth reading.....

Both good novels, but I think that NCFOM is a great example of "movie better than the book".

Blood Meridian will always be his masterpiece. His novels declined after that one.

Both of these books put me in a crisis\apocalypse mood. Now I'm in the middle of One Second After. From what I understand it's highly praised in the Preppers world.
It is an interesting read and makes you think about how you would survive a similar situation. But it's also interesting for me because its written in an area of NC that I'm very familiar with.
one second after.jpg

About 35% through A Dance With Dragons. Got waylaid with another book that I can't say what it is, 'cause it's not released yet. I can say that it's good :cool:

Just finished "Mr. Pip" by Lloyd Jones. Not my usual fare but I really liked it and recommend it. It's a bit of a tear-jerker in spots.

Now back to business as usual, some sci-fi. This one is my first from this author, so far I'm having a blast:

51Tj3xjLwsL.jpg

Still on this book. It's a long one! Really good though.

I'm working my way through Ben Aaronovitch's 'Rivers of London' series.

Rivers-of-London.jpg

He's a former writer of some of the best Doctor Who shows.

Coulmas, Writing Systems of the World. This is one of those great pedagogic books that serves excellently as both textbook and reference book.

Collins' book Carrying the Fire is THE best space program book out of the 20 or 30 that I've read. The forward is by Charles Lindbergh. Not too shabby.

I'm reading Collins' book now. It is really well written and has enough technical details to feed my space program knowledge hunger well.
41oNfYBLShL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Back