Billy Corgan on the implosion of the pumpkins and the record industry

No. I, in a trick of chronology, straddle the millennial/Xer divide. I’m pretty SJW-aligned despite my formative Xer identification. Partly because I’ve spent a lot of time in the gender theory trenches and partly because I’m not personally inclined to be an ideological hardass. There’s plenty of college educated Xers who simply DO NOT GET the SJW thing...identity politics, gender business, critical race theory, etc. I know because I’m friends with folks on both side of the divide.

And I will say that the willingness of college-age SJW types to embrace well-meaning censorship is weird and offputting.

I was thinking specifically about people who are subject to be drawn in by people like Jones. As far as what you're calling SJW and your friends, that's anecdotal. I know boomers who "get" all of that and there are varying degrees of getting it. For example just in linguistics there are people I know who are LGBT who want to do doctoral work related to gender pronouns. But there is an underlying understanding in linguistics that languages evolve naturally and that you can't create new terms and just "expect" them to be adopted. They might, they might not. "Ms" was eventually adopted although it's beginnings were strained and forced and many people reacted exactly the same to that as people today would resist more than 2 genders. Native American languages always had multiple words for genders that recognized all kinds of differences. And now people with not just sexual/personality predispositions, but also medical procedures are now being asked to be recognized by their cosmetic medical procedure (saying cosmetic as trans women will never produce eggs, and trans men will never produce sperm). The point is everyone who is at the heart of these issues in universities (from baby boomer professors all the way down to millennials) are engaged in these discussions. So the divisions you're speaking of don't really exist within the disciplines that are actually engaged with the issues. I would be willing to bet that in the trans community these issues would also not be divided by age group.

Now if you're going to bring up (or are even aware of) the controversy with Jordan Peterson, I also wouldn't consider that a clash between generations as the university staff that came against him were all his age.

Last edited:
How can I take Billy Corgan seriously when he goes on Alex Jones' show?

He was an idiot in my mind long before I knew about that. Whining about the current music scene and he lost place in it was the first clue to his self-centered idiocy.

How can I take Billy Corgan seriously when he goes on Alex Jones' show?

Mike Judge has been on Jones’ show and is bros with him. Mike Judge made Idiocracy. EVERYONE EVERYWHERE claims Idiocracy is true and it predicted the present and blah blah blah.

Everyone is secret Infowarriors!

Back