And now we start three weeks worth of my house being torn apart.

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
:annoyed:

What started with a leaky shower in our very small master bathroom turned into first a bathroom remodel once we assessed the damage and then "since we have the contractor here...." has turned into new floors in four rooms rooms (both bathrooms, laundry room and kitchen) , new kitchen countertops (butcher block so they'll be relatively inexpensive) and paint in the affected areas.

I won't show "before" pics of the bathroom because it's embarrassing. We've needed to redo it since we bought the house but other things took precedence (roof, water heater, exterior remodel due to age and water damage, landscaping due to dangerous pipe cut off and left in the lawn like Vietcong tiger traps, building my teaching studio, a host of smaller repairs, etc) but now we're stuck doing it before I go back to school and I'm not around to supervise and manage the dogs (who are losing their shit at this very moment). Luckily I found a buyer for my truck which is covering most of the expense and we had some other cash put away towards doing this but fuck this has been an expensive summer.

52200383100__F7A3CBD4-BE51-45A7-88A1-89BFF9BDBC2B.JPG
52200429554__6C5311B2-BAF5-4CD6-879E-82A75AD49716.JPG

Well, my money will only be dispensed in 21 days and then it's a sliding scale downwards.
you need to add a "liquidated damages" clause. it basically says that if the deadline is missed, the contractor begins loosing $x per day of incompletion, and in the big civil contracts we do, it's usually $500 to $2000 per day. :thu:

Apparently that pipe was leaking longer than we knew.

IMG_5751.JPG

Thankfully that wall is being completely torn out anyway and replaced with a half wall and glass.

Mojo. Kitchen and bathroom renovations are by far the most stressful.
Yeah. four people sharing a bathroom in this house will not be enjoyable. And losing laundry and kitchen functionality is going to be tough for a few days. Everyone is home except Mrs Wein and we have to corral the dogs and I can't leave them here alone and go somewhere because they'll tear the house apart with these guys doing the work. SO I'm sitting here trying to practice and do homework while on the other side of this wall they are sledgehammering our bathroom apart.

yikes.

I've never had a remodel done. I did remodel one of our bathrooms in the past though. Luckily we had 2 other bathrooms to use during that time.

Remodel Mojo

Been there, the bathroom remodel we did included the hallway and entrance way. There was about 2 weeks or so where in order to go to the kitchen we had to go outside. But the important thing was after it was done my wife was very happy :Wave:

Back