WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO....RIGHT NOW Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to a practice with some guys next week, this is one of the songs they want to do.

Never played it before, and I notice it has a 2 minute guitar solo, which is going to be a ball-ache to learn.

I suggest songs that are quick to learn like 'Wicked Game', 'Jumping Jash Flash', 'Brown Sugar' and 'Daytripper'.

They come back with suggestions like 'Black Dog'. I bust my ass learning all the parts, we play it through twice, the singer (who insisted we do it) is unable to sing it well and asks to drop it. Then they suggest complicated songs with instrumentation that we don't even have and long-ass guitar solos that I will have to commit time to learning.

I'm going to give them another practice to see if there is a way forward. So far the singer spends most of his time gushing over difficult songs thst 'we really should play' then after I've devoted hours to learning them he has a try at singing them, it doesn't sound good, and he decides to drop them.

Going to a practice with some guys next week, this is one of the songs they want to do.

Never played it before, and I notice it has a 2 minute guitar solo, which is going to be a ball-ache to learn.

I suggest songs that are quick to learn like 'Wicked Game', 'Jumping Jash Flash', 'Brown Sugar' and 'Daytripper'.

They come back with suggestions like 'Black Dog'. I bust my ass learning all the parts, we play it through twice, the singer (who insisted we do it) is unable to sing it well and asks to drop it. Then they suggest complicated songs with instrumentation that we don't even have and long-ass guitar solos that I will have to commit time to learning.

I'm going to give them another practice to see if there is a way forward. So far the singer spends most of his time gushing over difficult songs thst 'we really should play' then after I've devoted hours to learning them he has a try at singing them, it doesn't sound good, and he decides to drop them.

If I may, I'd suggest you flip your workflow around and figure out what your singer can sing before working out the full arrangements, or even picking the songs.

Often the stuff that is fun to play and sounds cool on guitar in a certain key and with certain voicings, open strings and whatnot can be quite demanding to sing, and you're pretty much restricted to that key. "Wicked Game" is actually a great song for experimenting with vocal range because you can play it in any key, whereas "Alive" needs to be played in A in order to sound right, unless you work out a totally different arrangement of course.

If I may, I'd suggest you flip your workflow around and figure out what your singer can sing before working out the full arrangements, or even picking the songs.

Often the stuff that is fun to play and sounds cool on guitar in a certain key and with certain voicings, open strings and whatnot can be quite demanding to sing, and you're pretty much restricted to that key. "Wicked Game" is actually a great song for experimenting with vocal range because you can play it in any key, whereas "Alive" needs to be played in A in order to sound right, unless you work out a totally different arrangement of course.

Great advice.

I'm doing this purely as a recreation because I though it would be fun to play with some other humans for a change and it would be good to learn new songs or styles that I mightn't otherwise learn, but I don't want to learn songs that I play once and then they get binned

We've only had two practices so far (this will be the third), but at this third one I'll nail the singer down on what his range is, go through stuff in different keys and see what he can actually sing.

Reminds me of my ex wife that moved to Bakersfield. She was the next offramp after BOCP. I drove past it many times( we have a daughter).
20220112_071918.jpg

Never tempted to call in?
If you meant check out the BOCP, I should have.
I you are referring to the ex, I called in often due to our daughter. Both the daughter and ex are gone from the Central Valley now. I don't see myself going up that way anytime soon.

If you meant check out the BOCP, I should have.
I you are referring to the ex, I called in often due to our daughter. Both the daughter and ex are gone from the Central Valley now. I don't see myself going up that way anytime soon.

Yeah, I meant check out the BOCP to see what it's like. Maybe hear some music?

Yeah, I meant check out the BOCP to see what it's like. Maybe hear some music?
I should have.
I did take my daughter to the Kern county fair. They had a Korn both set up in the farmers market section. I don't know if the band had anything to do with it. They hail from Bakersfield.
Their guitar center sessions concert is very tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back