The Enduring metal genius of Metallica

DdBob

Dogue in teh desert
If you don't know how to read you can listen at the link

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/12/05/the-enduring-metal-genius-of-metallica

Since 1990, every Metallica album has débuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200.

Hetfield—fifty-nine, tall, graying at the temples—moves with the confident saunter of a well-armed cowboy. Ulrich, fifty-eight, radiates so much kinetic energy that it’s hard to imagine him yawning. Hammett, fifty-nine, and Trujillo, fifty-eight, are the band’s gentle, long-haired surfers, jazz enthusiasts disinclined to dramatics. If Hetfield is Metallica’s heart—its musical center and primary lyricist—Ulrich is its brain, a visionary who instinctively understands cultural terrain.

Greta Van Fleet
, a young rock band from Michigan, was opening for Metallica throughout the year. “Metallica has curated their own culture, and you can see the impact that’s had when you look out into the audience,” Greta Van Fleet’s singer, Josh Kiszka, told me. “Driving to the venue, it’s Metallica everywhere. That’s part of how the band has changed the world a little bit.”

221205_r41485.jpg

This is like when some dingus from Pennsylvania makes a big deal about defending Applebee’s and Golden Corral against the urban foodie scourge, right?!?
Is there really a foodie scene in PA...really? I mean what do they have perogies and Cheese steak?

I’m kinda confused by the concept that there are fans of the band today that feel they’ve ‘sold out’ over the stranger things tie in. Talk about late to the party….

I like them. I like the new song just released. The Jason years had the heaviest sound and best backing vocals. Thank you for not letting Lars pick the snare on the new album.

St. Anger came out at number 1!

I like them. I like the new song just released. The Jason years had the heaviest sound and best backing vocals. Thank you for not letting Lars pick the snare on the new album.

St. Anger came out at number 1!

Sounds like they didn’t let Lars drum at all, but chose to use programmed samples

I can understand loving Metallica for their live shows. Watching what they’ve released on YouTube makes it clear that they take live performance more seriously than anybody else. And they don’t play much from Load, Reload, and St. Anger anymore; they’re doing the Prince thing and focusing on the hits. But aside from Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets their albums are mostly filler. And those two great albums sound like 128kbps mp3s from 1998.

I can understand loving Metallica for their live shows. Watching what they’ve released on YouTube makes it clear that they take live performance more seriously than anybody else. And they don’t play much from Load, Reload, and St. Anger anymore; they’re doing the Prince thing and focusing on the hits. But aside from Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets their albums are mostly filler. And those two great albums sound like 128kbps mp3s from 1998.

Who did the best songwriting for those years?

Back